Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2017, 08:32 PM   #1
Wally Dad
Established Member

M.O.C. #20592
Learning to Tow

Hello all.

My wife and I are transitioning to full-time this spring. We are planning on picking up our 40-foot 3950BR in mid-March after a winter at the dealer. Hopefully we can do the PDI and paperwork then too although the dealer will likely have it in December, but that is another story.

The reason I called this meeting is that we have ZERO towing experience! How crazy is it to drive one of these off the lot without ever having towed before? There must be many people that faced this. I'm sure that most of you survived. What suggestions and advice do you have for thie newbie towing couple????

Thanks!

Wally Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:41 PM   #2
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
GOD BLESS you both - Hopefully you have a truck to handle that good rig! Do you have any friends that have a 5th wheel - beg them for hands on training: from hook up and beyond.
Hire someone to video the PDI - there is way to much to get in a morning.

Check U-Tube for backing training. Find any type of little bumper hitch trailer and practice in a big parking lot backing. Find the discussion on here about sharing the backing experience.

Ask lots of questions as you investigate the site here.
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:48 PM   #3
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Make a list of planned Accessories you've planned so far. Many here will make additional suggestions.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:01 PM   #4
Wally Dad
Established Member

M.O.C. #20592
Thanks! My nephew-in-law is a commercial truck driver and he's offered to help so that's something anyway. We don't have a truck yet, but are leaning towards a F350 dually. We are hiring an inspector to do the initial PDI so we can focus on learning the systems.

Ultimately we are on our own though and it's a bit daunting! Must be more out there who's first 5th wheel tug was off the dealer's lot though right?
Wally Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:12 PM   #5
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Wished I was closer, I be glad to give you some hands on. My problem was: One vendor put in hitch, dealer changed out king pin on unit to an air ride - no one mentioned the unit should be close to level after hook up - both hitch and king pin needed readjusted.

Generally on the truck selection - someone on here said, Get the one that fits your butt best - F350 Dully will handle the 3950 well.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:18 PM   #6
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Welcome to MOC most important is to take it slow you will have your 40' house right behind you so practice in a big parking lot like wal-mart make sure you ask first or a school parking lot a look at U-tube make sure you have a nuff truck to pull a 40' fifth wheel should be a 1 ton DRW. take all time you want when you do your PDI ask a lot of questions & if you can video it for later when you forget what they said or ask MOC
and have fun with your new rig.

Bob & Carol
Tacoma WA
2017 352RL 2008 Dodge 3500 DRW crew cab 4x4 6.7L
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:31 PM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
You can try PMing member MP1 or MP2 (husband and wife). They don't get on here too often so a PM is best.

They did exactly as you only about 6 years ago. Sold the house, bought a truck, drove to the dealer and picked up their Montana and hit the road. They had had the RV for a week when they showed up at the WR Spring Rally at Seven Feathers RV Resort in OR.

I am sure they will gave lots of suggestions as they have had a number of "experiences".

There are RV driving schools all over the country. Try and find one and see what they will do for you.

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:42 PM   #8
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
When we attended the the fall rally a few years ago, we arrived a few days early and parked next to us was a driving instructor who had been enlisted to provide RV driving instruction for any of the previous rally, don't remember which brand, but he still had a couple more lessons to do before leaving. He was very sharp, and also did commercial driving training. He worked for www.RVDrivingSchool.com
Maybe that would be an option for a new RV driver.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:52 PM   #9
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Wow, you guys are jumping in full throttle. Go for it, you will never regret it.
So far I agree with everything the others have stated. Take advantage of your nephew-in-law's knowledge. Driving a big rig these days is a major challenge. He will tell you......turn wide, stay far back (hard to do with all the idiots who pass you and then cut in right in front of you. Expect this a lot.), watch your mirrors and take everything slow. Always look far ahead and anticipate your next move. Always remember the trailer will take a shorter route through a turn than your truck so go wide. Oh, and watch for low clearances. Hitting a low bridge will ruin your day.
Backing the rig is not hard, just takes a little practice.
It may seem daunting but if you pay attention you'll get the hang of it in no time. I would suggest you try to attend the national rally in Goshen, IN. Lots of info, advice and friendship.
Best wishes, see ya on the road.
Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:56 PM   #10
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Hopefully others will chime in, I've signed up for:
KOA
Good Sam
RV Trip Wizard
Over 62 - got Senior Lifetime America the Beautiful Passport( this has paid for above that had fees)

Read Other Threads for: Insurance, Extended Warranty, etc.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:47 PM   #11
GLS3950
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18049
I have a 3950 and a2012 F350 dually it's a great combo. As stated fake it slow and Renner the 5er will track inside your truck so take wide turns. Watch for low bridges and branches, also canopies at gas stations. Enjoy your new rig and hope to see at the fall rally.
GLS3950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:50 PM   #12
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I drove off the lot and hadn't driven a pickup since I was about 20 or pulled ever before. The biggest problem I had was cornering. It took me a full year before I stopped running over curbs on corners - and my rig was just 34 feet long. After 10 years or so I figured out to always take whatever is available on corners -- if there is no traffic comming go ahead and turn into the extra lane, etc. Drive to the far edge of a side road before turning hard onto it. i.e. Have the truck make a sharp corner at the very edge of the side road instead of driving like you would a car.
Next problem was going a bit too fast when pulling into campgrounds. Go slow around corners and use your mirrors. If you have to change the angle of the mirrors so you can see the ground if you need to when slowly going around a tight corner.
And by the way, my first trip out I turned into the campground row a bit tight and did a tiny scrape from a tree limb at about 12 feet up. That is my only time I have hit anything, so it can be done.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 05:57 AM   #13
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Some of this has already been said.

-Make wide turns. You do not want the trailer wheels going over or into curbs etc. This will damage the axles.
-If a gas station does not look large enough, do not pull into it. You may have a hell of a time getting back out. Also make sure the canopy is high enough.
-Leave as much room in front of you as possible. You will not be able to stop on a dime (trust me). Recommend installing disc brakes.
-If your unit came with cheap chinnees E rated ST tires, get them off NOW and put on Goodyear g614 or Sailun s637 14 ply G rated tires.
-Get a TPMS, its worth its weight in gold.
-Get your set up weighed fully loaded to be sure you are within all the truck and trailers weight ratings.
-Take it slow and easy. Most ST tires are only speed rated to 65 mph.
-Do not drive into the unknown ie. Wet grass/mud without checking the ground out first. You are quite heavy and will sink in soft ground.
-Watch out for low tree limbs/power lines in campgrounds and on some back roads.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:34 AM   #14
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
We have a diesel truck and love it. One little perk is you can fuel up at truck stops where the trucks fuel up. If they can fit, so can we! No more trying to find gas stations where the pumps are not perpendicular to the building. That makes it hard to get out, especially with cars parked against the building. The diesel truck is also great on down grades as it brakes on the motor.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:19 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There are trucking companies that offer instructions. Contact those in your area. We did some checking for a friend of ours at home and found a trucking company that offered driving and towing instructions.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:46 AM   #16
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Some things we have learned. Never, totally trust your GPS! Have a paper copy of Rand McNally atlas plus a truckers atlas. Plan your routes carefully pay attention to instructions on campground websites or call them if you have questions on best directions to their CGs. We try to stay on interstates since they have rest areas and truck stops for fueling. If not an interstate consult your truckers atlas. Obtain a copy of Next Exit or similar info. Plan your daily drive with how far you can go on a tank of diesel and if need fuel plan ahead. Use Google Earth for what intersections look like using street view especially in congested areas. There are many APPs available that are helpful but must have internet or phone coverage for many. Remember, height restrictions are very important and pay attention! I got out of my truck in a Cracker Barrel one time after parking and noticed a tree limb about one foot from the top of my camper!! On leaving, backed out of the RV space. Glad I didn't pull forward.

The most important thing to remember is to ask "all" your questions on this website! There is a lot of experience here and very friendly people wanting to help.

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:51 AM   #17
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Dad View Post
... We don't have a truck yet, but are leaning towards a F350 dually...
Get the dually for sure, a 40' rig requires a dually. The biggest thing to remember about a 5th wheel is that when making a turn, it cuts the corner...previous posters have mentioned making wide turns, that's why. Also, when backing move the bottom of the steering wheel in the direction you want the back end of the trailer to go.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:47 AM   #18
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
We took a course at Lazydays in Tampa once. The guy said a good rule of thumb is when your hip is in line with the curb you want to clear, then it is safe to turn your steering wheel.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:42 AM   #19
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
This may sound silly but...if you have time to kill, go to a truck stop and watch the truckers pull in or out. Notice how wide they make their turns. Watch them back their rigs in those tight spots. Notice which way their front wheels turn and which way the trailer moves as they back up. Pay attention to their truck stop etiquette (pulling forward after fueling).
They are maneuvering much longer tractor/trailer rigs than you will have. If they can do it, so can you.
I'm not going to repeat all the previous tips but I do have one for your truck. If you do go with a dually (recommended), practice your turns and backing before ever picking up your RV. You need to give yourself more room for turns or else your rear tires will become intimate with curbs. The nature of a dually lends to you learning to give yourself more room. With the RV hooked up, just give yourself a bit more room.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 04:50 PM   #20
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Before leaving campground do a walk around, looking for TV antennae being up, all doors closed and locked, slides in, steps folded back up , hose all undone and put away, power cord detached and put away and make sure your lights and turn signals are working. Have fun and good luck.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote