Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2017, 06:13 PM   #1
Dusters
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19305
Power Awning INOP!

It's a sad day for my Power Patio Awning (Dometic 9100). It turned 1 year and 1 month and the motor appears to have quit. It clicks IN & Out and the power is adequate. It acts like a solenoid that won't engage. Fortunately it worked two weeks ago to get home. I've looked at several of the threads on awnings and Phil P posted pictures of the fix for his, along with having a shop manual. I believe Dometics is only good for the one year and the Dealer Lifetime warranty is for the significant mechanical items of a trailer. Not much help going to their site either, unless you write up a support request. Guess I will function without, since it will have to wait for some other repair trip later in the year.

Dusters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:56 AM   #2
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Mine keeps blowing fuses! Not happy with this awning. In shop now on last warranty trip.

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:32 PM   #3
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
With the aid of a tall step ladder, you can reach the motor power connection on the top of the right awning arm. Unplugging this will allow you to apply 12vdc and ground directly to the motor to see how the motor responds to power directly from another source. On a neighbors class a, we found that his issue was not the motor, but a power connection that was corroded. Reversing order of the two wires reverses in and out.mine has worked flawlessly for almost five years of fulltiming so far...knock on fiberglass.
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:45 PM   #4
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
There are two youtube videos on retracting the awning using the "T" strap or using a 12 volt battery to operate the awning. The manual also has info on these methods. We have saved these to have with us if have problems with the awning not retracting. Luckily, have not had to use instructions on the road since we quit using the awnings after the fuse was blown on two different trips. New fuse allowed us to retract. Manual states if you have to use either method you should take to a dealer before operating awning again.

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:24 PM   #5
Dusters
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19305
Thanks for the responses and I have also watched the YouTube videos. The most significant video in case your awning is in the out position is to take the allen screw out to roll the awning back up. I am locked in the closed position, so just minimum inconvenience. In a couple weeks, I will get it back out of storage and try a different source of battery power to the end of the motor cable, but have already ran AC (shore pwr) and the generator for extra power. I've also checked to see if there was some relationship with the slides in or out also. The support arms were jiggled to make sure they weren't locked up for the awning to extend. Again it just makes a click sound for each direction you push on the switch as if it wont engage electrically.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:27 PM   #6
Dusters
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19305
I have a 18 ft. Dometic 9100 power awning locked in the close position. Tried the alternate power sources and motor is still locked. It clicks one time when power is applied each way.
Has anyone taken theirs apart without a shop manual and replaced the RH motor? I've found some motors on ebay for around $340. Thinking about it now with the tension spring and the riveted motor assembly in the tube, It would be wise to not disassemble it. Does anyone know, if there are mobile RV service units up here in the Northwest?
Old 06-24-2017, 09:55 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I belong to this facebook group. If one is available they will help you find it: mobile rv repair companies across the us and canada
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:21 PM   #8
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I think you may be in luck. Here is a link for the operators manual, which also says these awnings have a three year warranty. http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A86.J...3P7fiG3nboNxI-
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:28 PM   #9
Dusters
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19305
I thought I was in luck also, but that warranty statement is dated for 09/2007. The current warranty statements in my package are for one year as of 2013. They even had a safety recall on awning's produced during 2014 for unfurling while traveling.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:24 AM   #10
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
I think you may be in luck. Here is a link for the operators manual, which also says these awnings have a three year warranty. http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A86.J...3P7fiG3nboNxI-
Bob & Becky, you two are great! I've seen a number of post where you provided valuable info. Thanks
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 04:27 AM   #11
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I believe my major problem was the corrosion in the end by the motor.

You can go to the auto parts store and get a can of Blaster penetrating lubricant. Spray this in the joint between the cap on the tube and the part with the set screw in it. Do this on both ends let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes and then try working the awning in and out with the switch. It may free up enough to get it out a couple of turns then you can pin the spring and remove the motor and find out what is going on.

If no joy this way then remove the set screw and using a couple of ropes or the straps from cargo straps pull the awning out about 2 turns.

After I looked at my motor I don’t think it would be hard to take apart and repair whatever is causing it not to turn. I would say there is an extensive reduction gear in that motor assembly so you would have to be careful and take a lot of pictures as you take it apart so you have a reference when putting it back together.

If you need the manual I have it in a PDF file.

The awning is not hard to work on just be careful about pinning the spring they had a fellow loose a couple of fingers at the local KOA this winter.

Phil P
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 09:28 AM   #12
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
Bob & Becky, you two are great! I've seen a number of post where you provided valuable info. Thanks
X2!!! Thanks for all the help you give us.
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:08 AM   #13
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

For all of you that may need help with the electric awning I have the repair manual Dometic calls it the replacement manual and it gives you the procedure to replace the fabric, the spring in the long tube and the motor. It is quite detailed with drawings and one picture a total of 20 pages.

It is a fair size PDF file 1,650KB

Phil P
Old 06-11-2018, 07:34 AM   #14
Tomzspot
Established Member

M.O.C. #14478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Hi

I believe my major problem was the corrosion in the end by the motor.

You can go to the auto parts store and get a can of Blaster penetrating lubricant. Spray this in the joint between the cap on the tube and the part with the set screw in it. Do this on both ends let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes and then try working the awning in and out with the switch. It may free up enough to get it out a couple of turns then you can pin the spring and remove the motor and find out what is going on.

If no joy this way then remove the set screw and using a couple of ropes or the straps from cargo straps pull the awning out about 2 turns.

After I looked at my motor I don’t think it would be hard to take apart and repair whatever is causing it not to turn. I would say there is an extensive reduction gear in that motor assembly so you would have to be careful and take a lot of pictures as you take it apart so you have a reference when putting it back together.

If you need the manual I have it in a PDF file.

The awning is not hard to work on just be careful about pinning the spring they had a fellow loose a couple of fingers at the local KOA this winter.

Phil P
Hi Phil. Thanks for the post. My 2014 awning motor has quit. I'm looking for something that would tell me how to repair it myself. Would your pdf help me? Thanks again.
Tomzspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:11 AM   #15
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Phil P - would you upload that PDF to the Files section here so that we all of us can access it?
TIA

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:41 AM   #16
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I have sent Carl & Susan a PM.

If this file does get on the forum where it can be used please follow it very closely that spring can hurt you.

The motor is removed from the other end just like the spring.

Follow the instructions to get the spring safe and the do the rest of the procedure on the motor end.

Mark the motor and barrel for orientation the motor will only work when installed in the proper orientation.

My motor would not turn either and the cause was corrosion and the drive plate was installed wrong side out.

It has been working very well now for a few years after my repair.

I did not open the motor and reduction gear so I can’t give you any information about that if you try use a white top table with a border around it so small parts are easy to see and will not roll off the table.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Old 06-12-2018, 11:19 AM   #17
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Thanks Phil! The A&E manual has been uploaded to the Files area and can be found at Files --> Systems --> A&E Awning Replacement. A more direct link is http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...hp?do=cat&id=3

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:19 AM   #18
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

If anyone here replaces their motor please PM me.

I would like to get my hands on a bad one so I can open it and see if they are repairable.

I have found the hydraulic cylinders to be repairable.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Old 06-21-2018, 07:28 PM   #19
Jerkyguy
Established Member

M.O.C. #21023
Where are the fuses for it? Mine aren’t in the panel.
Jerkyguy is offline   Reply With Quote