Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2020, 01:04 PM   #1
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Stink Bugs

For about the last 10 years, about this time of year (Early to mid October) we get infested with Stink Bugs at home. You know... these guys:

In our previous travel trailer (Keystone Outback), we got infested and they were in the camper for months. Even when we went to Florida and South Carolina in December, when the camper warmed up, we'd have new outbreaks of them. And then in the Spring, again. This went on for several years.

We tried spraying with bug spray, but, we figure the eggs hatched out, and some years, we'd fight them all Summer, just for Fall to roll around and we'd get a new infestation.

Well, with the new Montana, 2 years ago, I was hoping we would stay bug free, but 2 years ago we got hit again. Brand new camper in September and by October, those dang bugs were everywhere again.

So, I got desperate. I purchased Raid bug bombs from my local Doller General store and after putting away everything that had food or touched food, set off all 4 of them in the Montana. The results were fantastic! Dead stink bugs everywhere within a couple hours.

Then about 2 weeks later, we had another infestation. Well, I got another package and did the same thing. I set off all 4 of them again, and the results were amazing. Dead bugs everywhere again.

Then 2 week later, again, set off 4 more and we didn't have any more at all crawling around. But ever now and then, all that first Summer with the Montana, we find an occasional dead stink bug on the floor or in a window track, or under the table. So, I figure, the residual bug bombs must have penetrated all the crack and crannies in the Montana and months later were still killking the stink bugs.

So, a year ago, I repeated the same thing when the bugs came back (alive). I repeated again.... 3 times, 2 weeks apart and we've never seen another stink bug again. Until the end of September this year, when they were turning up dead on the floor again. Haven't seen a single live one inside the camper anywhere, but dead ones show up on the floor.

So it looks like, the new batch of stink bugs are trying REAL hard to penetrate the camper again (from wherever they are entering). But now, they have to crawl through a layer of bug bomb killer when they do, through all those cracks and crannies they love to hide in. And when they do, the bug killer gets them!

So, even though they are crawling all over the outside of the Montana this October, I've seen only 2 or three dead ones inside the camper. So, about a week ago, i went ahead and set off 4 more. One of them was set off behind the wall of the pass-through bay, as I had it off for a minor repair there. i took advantage and set the bug bomb off, spraying the pass through bay and the space behind that wall, giving it a good blast of bug killer.

I also turned on both air conditioner when firing off the bug bombs so the air conditioners will suck the vapor through the air ducks and, and just in case, there is any leaking, will blast the bug killer into the attic portion of the camper.

We sleep in the Montana every night. i was just out there again a few minutes ago and found 4 more dead stink bugs on the floor.

And yes.... after setting off the bug bombs, we wash the blankets and sheets on the bed and wipe down all the flat counter and dresser surfaces. We eventually mop the floor, just from normal usage, as we have two puppies that are not completely potty trained yet. So, the floors get mopped a lot!

Anyway, bug bombs work! They mist the poison into all those cracks and crevaces you'll never see. It's that time of year again, bugs are looking for warm places to honker-down for the winter! Yes, we keep heat in the camper till about the beginning of January. Then we move back into the house. I know, we're nuts. We have a perfectly good house, and we sleep in a trailer in the driveway ... But hey! We're happy!

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 02:04 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
We had them by the thousands a few years ago and almost none now. We live near to Virginia Tech and they had students go out and collect them. They took them back to campus to study and started to find a fungus on their belly. The fungus was killing them and now I guess without having talked to one of the students the fungus has spread enough to control them. So there is hope you will get rid of them. You could come here collect them and take them back home to infect yours.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 09:51 PM   #3
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
just a little information on stink bugs. i get all my pest control products here to control the critters we get at out house in az. hope the info is helpful

https://www.domyown.com/how-to-get-r...ugs-a-530.html
al meyer
3931fb
az
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 04:42 AM   #4
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I use a product called Bifen IT. It is actually a termiticide when mixed properly, but 1 oz. per gallon of water and it will kill any kind of bug. Super safe and affordable too. I get it at www.doyourownpestcontrol.com. I keep a 1 gallon pump up sprayer in the 5er and a small bottle of Bifen to mix when needed. We tend to get a lot of ants in the south. Works great! Safe around pets and kids too. Just let it dry first.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote