Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2007, 11:00 PM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Toilet Bowl Base

I'm going to have to do some minor maintenance before going out next spring and thought I would get your opinions and ideas.

The base under the toilet bowel is broke and I will need to replace that. My question is this... will it unscrew from the other part of the drain line or is it glued and will have to be cut and replaced?

My experience in the past is that it they have always unscrewed from the top of the tank. My concern is now since there is a drop line before going into the tank that it may just be glued like normal PVC drains.

Has anyone ever worked in this area?

Old 11-19-2007, 02:02 AM   #2
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Bill,
If you are talking about the flange which bolts to the floor and the toilet bolts to the flange, you can buy a metal piece that screws to the floor over the flange at Home Depot.
The flange will screw off(mine turned)if you want to, but I used the steel piece when I replaced the plastic toilet with the new ceramic like the new Monties have.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 08:33 AM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
I removed the toilet and the base plate un-threads. I got a new base plate for the toilet. However, while disconnecting and removing the toilet one of the leg bolts fell into the tank. I know many people might not worry about a bolt in the tank but a sewer system or a septic system isn't the place for a bolt to go. On the other had I would think there is a great chance of when we started using the black tank again that it could or probably would clog the drain somewhere when I did try and finally dump.

First thing I did was try and reach it with an extending spring loaded pick-up tool made for reaching into tight places. I have tried flushing the tank with water filling it up and then sweeping water through the tank. I actually flushed out a piece of the the old base plate.

It just don't want to come out easy, any suggestions?
Old 02-15-2008, 09:59 AM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Got any magnets and string?

Edited: I am assuming that the bolt is metal iron. Let me elaborate on the magnet. You would need something flexible like and old garden hose. Affix a magnet (strong one out of an old car speaker) to the garden hose with good tape. If the magnet has a center hole, even better to tie it to the hose. Fish it around either through the toilet or the drain outlet and see what it picks up.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:18 PM   #5
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Got any magnets and string?

Edited: I am assuming that the bolt is metal iron. Let me elaborate on the magnet. You would need something flexible like and old garden hose. Affix a magnet (strong one out of an old car speaker) to the garden hose with good tape. If the magnet has a center hole, even better to tie it to the hose. Fish it around either through the toilet or the drain outlet and see what it picks up.
I thought of that but its a brass bolt.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:03 AM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
You have my lack of luck. Nothing in life is simple!

It may take a while, but train some furry creature to retrieve brass. (NOT)
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:30 AM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill-N-Donna

I removed the toilet and the base plate un-threads. I got a new base plate for the toilet. However, while disconnecting and removing the toilet one of the leg bolts fell into the tank.

It just don't want to come out easy, any suggestions?
It's nothing to worry about unless, you have the luck of it lodging itself in the gate valve.
Otherwise it will be like that bolt they put into spray cans to mix the paint, excep your mixin somthing else.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:05 AM   #8
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
This is an Up-Date on the removal of the bolt from the black tank.

I guess the worry over wanting to remove the bolt has paid off. Yesterday I removed the belly pan under the tanks to try and locate the position of where the bolt had lodged. In doing so I greatly increased my knowledge on where everything was and how it was laid out. I also noticed the wiring on the gauges from the level indicators was loose. Almost every one of the bolts holding the wires on had worked loose. The gauges were not giving a proper indication of the level.

I finally removed the drain slides and once I did that I just reached into the tank and the bolt was lying next to the valve. There is about a 1" or so offset to where the drain is! See photo below. Quite possibly it would have stayed there forever but in doing so I believe it would have built up with debris over time causing a traffic jam at that point.

After removing the slides I noticed one of the drains had a few burrs and was quite rough near the slide. I believe this was causing some leakage. When I first bought the Monty waste water would accumulate near the dump connection awaiting my arrival for a not so pleasant surprise. This resulted in the addition of a slide valve near the connection point which also allowed for several gallons more of storage on the waste water where it would fill the lines.

I posted last night asking about what kind of lubricant I should use on the slide valves. One response was to use Teflon grease of which I hadn't thought of. Are there any other suggestions? I have cleaned the valves and will be re-using them along with new gaskets. I will also spray a little wd-40 on the wire connections, tighten them up and then button things back up underneath.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:29 AM   #9
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I am glad you found that bolt. Any time you had trouble you would have blamed it. As you said you learned a lot more too.
Good luck,
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:13 PM   #10
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Be carefull when installing the two rubber gaskets if they are not installed properly you will have leak
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:08 PM   #11
Snownyet
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6077
Sure thats brass? looks like cad plated steel.
Snownyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 01:34 AM   #12
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kdeiss

Be carefull when installing the two rubber gaskets if they are not installed properly you will have leak
I finally got the line back in place. The valves and gaskets don't appear to have any problems. However, with this project one thing has led to another. The pressure I had to apply to the tanks in order to make enough room for the valves to go back in place created another problem. The grey tank sprung a leak on one of the seams where the fitting looks like it's seam-welded to the tank. I bought some stuff that is supposed to seal almost anything. If I can't get this patched I guess I'm looking at a tank replacement.

OBTW, the bolt was not magnetic so I guess it was brass after all.

This isn't a very good picture but it should show what I'm talking about.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:23 PM   #13
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
I sure am glad you posted all those pic's now I have a good idea of what to expect when I drop the belly pan I know the wires on my tank must be loose too thanks for the pic's
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 03:01 PM   #14
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Maybe I should have posted this on the humor page because I certainly will be able to look back at this and laugh at myself a bit!

Hopefully this will be the last up-date on this project. I wasn't able to get the tank to stop leaking and I also had a leak on one of the valves so I threw in the towel and took it to my dealer. They assured me it shouldn't be any problem having it repaired in plenty of time for the May rally.

The worst thing about it is that it will cost us a camping trip this week end. This whole event was totally avoidable in the first place!

I took it to the dealer last Saturday, It was real windy that day and I really enjoyed the drive due to the fact the wind didn't bother me. I was very pleased at how well everything stayed under control and how it handled. However, I usually carry one of those blue tanks in the truck bed and I got to watch it as the wind buzzed across between the truck bed and the front of the Monty creating a strong suction, pulling it right up over the bed and out onto the road. It went sliding & scooting down the center of the oncoming lane. I really never thought that would have happened so easily. I pulled over, and fetched it back before anyone ran over it. I almost wish I would have lost it completely where the wheels always keep falling off. I did make a stop or two more where I was watching a piece of trim underneath trying to come loose but we got it there anyway without any other problems.

I talked with them today and a tank has already been ordered.

I guess the moral of the story is that if it isn’t broke, don’t try and fix it!
Old 04-15-2008, 03:09 PM   #15
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by boat391

I sure am glad you posted all those pic's now I have a good idea of what to expect when I drop the belly pan I know the wires on my tank must be loose too thanks for the pic's
Here is a couple more pictures that I think might show things underneath a little bit better. The TEE is where the grey tank (in the front & on the right)ties directly into the black tank drain next to it.

The patch that didn't work