Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2007, 02:21 AM   #1
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Going to the Sun Road Glacier Montana

It is finally going to be open....
http://www.dailyinterlake.com/

Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 04:09 AM   #2
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Kathi,
That's one of those places that you just have to be there to appreciate the beauty.
We'll get there one day hopefully. When are you going?
Lisa
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 06:29 AM   #3
borfaloo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5608

Wow that is late this year !!! I recall two years ago they had it open in MAY. Better hope for a long summer up there.

Sean
borfaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:35 AM   #4
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
We were there a couple of weeks ago, when they were still working on the bridge. We'll have to come back again to see it.
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:38 AM   #5
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We were there about four years ago (or so) and it didn't open until July 1st. That was because of snow and not the bridge. It opened at 11:00 am and we were in line at 9:00 and we were about 20 trucks back. When we got to the summit the only thing open were the bathrooms. They still didn't have electricity. It is our favorite National Park and we visit it often.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:43 PM   #6
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Lisa, I live here but I just thought that people who were coming this way might want to know when it was going to open. There were a lot of slides this year. They have been really working hard to get it open. It is so beautiful here and up there.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:25 PM   #7
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Just beautiful up there...so much so that it's hard to take it all in driving. And if you are driving, you better be watching the road as it's rather steep on the downhill side.
If you are in good enough shape for hiking, be sure to take a few of those in...Hidden Lake is awesome, and I forget the name, but it's referred to as the Weathermaker...it can get your attention...I was wearing sandals and shorts for that one and ending up walking through a few inches of snow and getting soaked...wouldn't trade the experience for anything and want to go do it again.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 10:09 PM   #8
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Kalispel and Glacier Park are two of my favorite places. For years we would take a long weekend in the fall and go there.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 01:56 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
That is a gorgeous park and one of our favorites. The entire Going to the Sun Road is beautiful but the best is the part that was closed. Besides hiking, there are some "backroad" routes that all our trucks can do that take you to some seldom visited parts of the park that are also truly beautiful. One is on the west side, "Inside North Fork road", which goes north to two lakes. The road is slow. We averaged around 15 mph but the trip was worth it. The first of those lakes is Bowman Lake --

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 06:16 AM   #10
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
Spending 6 months there in 2003 was by far the best of my life.............

Looking forward to taking Ms. Gina there some day!

Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 05:13 PM   #11
borfaloo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5608

Steve have you driven the road to Polebridge ??? that was a bumpy one.
Oh and you can get into Glacier via the back road from Columbia falls.
It is considered the local route as the booth where you pay to get into the park is never manned. I think it is local urban legend but they say the booth is unmanned as the locals objected to paying to get in.. Least that was what they told me when I lived there.

Sean
borfaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:05 PM   #12
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
I was introduced to Polebridge in the late 60's when my college biology teacher took a group of us there for a field trip. He had an old log house about 100yds from the store. I don't know if the old house is still standing or not. It was very rustic and the upstairs was seperated into two dormatory rooms. It was a memorable trip.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 12:31 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by borfaloo

Steve have you driven the road to Polebridge ??? that was a bumpy one.
Oh and you can get into Glacier via the back road from Columbia falls.
It is considered the local route as the booth where you pay to get into the park is never manned. I think it is local urban legend but they say the booth is unmanned as the locals objected to paying to get in.. Least that was what they told me when I lived there.

Sean
yes, we have. When we went to Bowman Lake and Kintla Lake by the Inside Loop Road, on our return we cut west to Polebridge and then south. I like to take different routes, see different things, when we can. The inside loop road was just as bumpy! Both were slow going. But beautiful drives.

http://geocities.com/stevereigle/081605_gnp6_p1.htm

http://geocities.com/stevereigle/081605_gnp6_p2.htm
Old 07-09-2007, 01:46 PM   #14
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Here is an article that was in the paper yesterday about the new free transportation system that the park has. They will probably be getting more buses because they want everyone to be happy. Heck free is enough to make me happy....Read the article..

http://www.dailyinterlake.com/articl...ifestyle01.txt
Old 07-10-2007, 04:18 AM   #15
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
Steve, did you stop by the Mercantile and have one of those sandwiches that are baked by the baker that owns the store in Polebridge? Now that in itself is worth the drive there!
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:33 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Tom Gina, no, I'm afraid we didn't but we'll note to do that next time. I do remember deciding to take an interesting looking road out of Polebridge, to the south, and ending up in someone's driveway less than a mile from town. Maybe a half mile. I thought we have pictures of the town and tried to find one to see if I could see that log place you mentioned but I'm not yet finding those pictures.