Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2005, 11:26 AM   #1
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Propane Change Over Valve Question

On my old trailer, when I changed over the indicator valve I could un-hook the tank to have it filled.
On the Montana, When I do this it blow propane out of the hose of the tank I am trying to take off.
Any suggestions??
Thanks

carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 02:30 PM   #2
RonS
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1316
Have your dealer check it out and replace with one that works.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 02:41 PM   #3
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
You should not have to do any type of depressuring to remove a bottle to have it refilled, even if it still has propane in it. The valve on top of the bottle has a check valve inside of it. Even if you open the valve you would have to insert something into the outlet on the bottle to make propane come out. About five years ago Federal law required for all portable propane tanks to use a valve called OPD (Overfill Protection Device). If you were to take a tank to have it refilled and it does not have the OPD, the tank would either be removed from service or you would have to change out the old valve. That is what I had to do with my previous trailer. Hope this answers your question.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 03:20 PM   #4
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
It sounds like you did not switch the valve and propane is coming from the other tank.When you get red on the indicator turn valve to the other tank and remove empty you should have no problem with gas leaking if you do their is a problem.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 05:33 PM   #5
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Charlie,
You are right, when I un-hook the tank it does shut-off.
Ken,
I change the valve over to the tank that is full, like I am going to remove the right tank I move the valve to the left tank, and I get propane gas out of the right hose when I diconnect it.
I will have the regulator, change over valve checked.
Thanks all.
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 03:38 AM   #6
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Carlson-
Sounds like you are on right track about the switching valve on the regulator being bad. During walk-thru on my Monty the switching valve was working properly, but the first time a bottle went empty they did not switch. Replaced the regulator/switching valve and every thing was OK.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 08:21 AM   #7
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Some times the automatic switch over valve presurizes the hose to the empty tank and if you just turn the switch over valve to the full tank there is still enough pressure in the empty side to fool the automatic valve. You should have the valve and regulator checked but if it continues to be a problem you can shut off both tanks, select the full tank, remove hose from empty tank and then turn on the full tank and you should not get a leak!

In any event LPG can be very dangerous so have a qualified service man check the system.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote