Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2005, 05:51 AM   #1
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
MIMF, ? on PM for Slides

Dale,
If you have a question go to the source.
My four slides are working perfectly.
Questions?
What Preventative Maintance should we be doing to the slides?
Cleaning
Lubricating
ETC.
Thanks for any input

carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 03:27 PM   #2
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Carlson,

Very good question.

1. Keep the system under the rooms clean. That is if you travel down dirt or gravel roads,use garden water pressure to rinse the arms, gear rack and gear packs off. Do this with the room extended. Dirt, sand and grit are the worst enemy of your slide room mechanisms.

2. Lubricate with silicone or a dry graphite on the gear pack and rack. It will not allow dirt and dust to stick as readily as a an oil-base lubricant. In a pinch, WD-40 is OK used sparinly. Especially if an annoying squeek developes when you are hundreds of mile from home.

3. Using a clean rag or towel, spray silicone until it becomes damp or wet. Use the towel to wipe down both sides of the sqeegies on all sides of the room. This will prevent the rubber from sticking and sqeeking as the fiberglass slides by while the room is moving. It will also aid in keeping the rubber more pliable.

4. Keep the seals clean. Inspect the top of all rooms before you bring them in. Twigs, leaves and dirt can tear a seal and eventually cause a water leak. Room toppers are good. But they won't totally prevent "trash" from blowing up under it. Besides, they can get in the way of keeping the top of the room roof and seal clean.

5. Inspect and tighten bolts. Remember, if you seethe gap between the jam nuts on the cylinder shaft, leave it there. Don't jam them up to the "L" bracket the the cylinder shaft passes thru. You will surely eventually wreck the facias or side walls.

6. Did I mention, keep everything clean as much as possible.

Have I answered everything or inspired any thought? There is probably something I forgot!
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 05:51 PM   #3
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Now, THAT was a great question and an even greater answer. Thanks to both parties involved1

Now, why isn't something as succinct and meaningful as that reply published in the Keystone Owner's Manual? Seems like a "no-brainer" to me!

Thanks again for the info!

Best,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:51 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Great information. Thank you.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 04:12 AM   #5
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Agree, great information to have. Thanks Dale for for your expertise, we really appreciate your help!
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 04:40 AM   #6
Gene Chaltry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #735
Thank You MIMF for your post. I have a new Monty and was wondering about that very thing.
Gene Chaltry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 04:42 AM   #7
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Dale,
Thanks
Again, it is great to have someone direct on the site who is available to answer questions.
It would be great if there where someone at Keystone who could do a similiar thing for us.
I mean not a site for someone to "bitch on" but a site, where those of us who have a problem and are handy enough to fix it.
I know my limitations, but there is alot of things I can do instead of having to take and drive a couple of hours and leave the trailer for warrenty work then back agin to pick it up.
If I am going to spend the $$$$ on fuel to drive a couple of hours, I sure want to be doing it going camping or as we call it now "housing".
I sort of got off base here.
Again Thanks, Dale
Thanks Again Dale
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 02:02 PM   #8
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
MIMF,

Would you also comment on your recommendations for PM on the Piston Shafts?

We recently had a Member ask about this.

As I believe you are aware the Chrome is porous and if left exposed for long periods can become pitted and damage the front piston seal. Any input as to how you recommend preventing this would be a good thing for our Members to know.

Also would like to add, that if your going to use the Spray Slide Lube, protect the bottom of the slide room from the over spray or it might just wind up getting on your carpet. I'm speaking from experience here.

Thanks
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 03:57 PM   #9
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Ok gang, lets talk about piston shafts.

That shaft needs to stay clean and coated with oil. The way to coat them with oil is to once or twice a month retract the rooms in and let them seal. That brings the shaft inside the cylinder and submerged in the fluid inside the cylinder. If it is a matter of not using the coach for several days, leave them in. But first, make sure there was no "trash up there to damage the seals. Every component of the system including the room will be happier that way.

This also does one other thing. It exercises the gear packs and rollers and keeps them from siezing due to corrosion. This is particularly mandatory for all of you who spend time in Florida or any where else within several miles of a sea shore.

As far as the portion of the cylinder shaft that is always exposed, simply keep it clean. If you are concerned about rust on that portion, simply wipe the shaft down with an old shop towel or rag dampened with motor oil. Only a thin coating is all that is needed. But remember, it will get ugly with dust and dirt.

azstar, you are right! Don't get wild with spray. You are only applying it to the gear rack along the botton of the inner tube and the gear pack.

Lastly. I want to thank all of you folks for the great comments. I have never before in my life had as much fun with a job as what I have been having over the last year. Believe it or not, most of what I learn and what I see, comes from all of you. Lippert is still fairly new in the slide out business. We are trying and doing new things all of the time. One of the main reasons I joined this forum, was to help educate and mostly converse with all of you. I am an RVer! I just don't have a Montana.......yet. But for now, the 37 foot Challenger is gonna' have to do. Besides, I know where I can take it if something needs repaired!
Old 04-08-2005, 05:13 PM   #10
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I second the comment this is great.
I have two questions. My Big Sky stays parked 11 months out of the year because of my overseas assignment. Is there any special treatment for the rubber seals around the slides, inside and out?
Second and much more technical my kitchen slide on the 02 3295 seemed to tip in, the front lip drag on the carpet in both retraction and extension. I see there is adjustments on the two square tubs that go out. Can I raise the tub end close to the floor of the slide to recenter the balance. (this slide does have the cable connected to both sides. Sure would love to see and hear about the mechanics of this but not asking unless you have the time.
Thanks for any comments and more important cautions. Again great to have a solid reference.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 05:26 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
MIMF, Keystone has developed a good reputation of going above and beyond to help the customer. As one of the component builders it's great to see Lippert working hard towards the same kind of reputation. From what I'm seeing in this forum, they are well on the way. You are a credit to Lippert and to MOC. Thanks for being here for us.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 01:55 AM   #12
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
H John Kohl,

I guess I really didn't touch on the seals themselves. You can treat those with silicone also. You can wipe them down with the same towel or rag you use to treat the sqeegies with.

As for the second part of your question. I see the word "cable". That indicates that your coach is equipped with what sounds like a Dewald system. I understand they are now owned by Power Gear. I have Power Gear's phone number at my office. Feel free to call me there at 574-537-8900 ext 4303 and I'd be delighted to give you the number so you can call them and get the correct recommendation as to how to adjust the room.