Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2015, 02:51 AM   #1
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Miss The House?

When we decided to buy a home in SW Florida recently it was more of a financial decision than anything else. We had barely made 3 years full timing in our Montana's and really loved the life style.

We have spent several weeks in our house getting some things done, plus our home base CG back north is flooded out. This is what we have noticed and/or missed about being in a stick/brick:

1. Can have all my tools in place and ready to use no matter what the weather.

2. Almost 10 times the living space.

3. If I want to plant a tree or a bush I can.

4. My vehicle is in a garage.

5. More importantly, my Harley is in a garage now that I can actually own one again.

6. If any of our kids or grandkids come to visit us they can actually stay with us.

7. My neighbors are at least 120 feet away from me rather than 25 feet.

8. If it is 110 degrees outside and I want the inside temperature to be 70 degrees I can.

9. When it storms I sometimes don't even hear it (brick/stucco construction) rather than having to start thinking about a shelter.

10. We don't have to defrost the refrigerator every two weeks.

11. As many groceries as we keep buying we still can't fill up the huge double door residential refrigerator in the house.

12. We didn't realize how much we missed a dishwasher.

13. If we want to use our grill or sit outside we are in a screened cage and private back yard, not under an awning looking at other RV's.

14. Large bathroom with a walk-in shower just can't be beat.

15. And one of the biggest advantages I have noticed..... I don't have to climb up on my roof and inspect for additional staples sticking up.

Don't get me wrong, we still can't wait to hit the road again in the Montana. We still have over 20 states to investigate. But the temporary transition back to a home has been pretty pleasant also.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:11 AM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
whatever suits your lifestyle
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:19 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Got to do what makes you happy. For us, we're still not missing those things.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:22 AM   #4
Montana4two
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13738
After 5 years in iur Montana we are not missing our old home one little bit. To each his own and I wish you well in your new place
Montana4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:41 AM   #5
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
We are glad you are enjoying the decision you made. For us, we both agree that as much as we love rving a home base of sticks and bricks will always be necessity.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:42 AM   #6
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Sounds like you are getting spoiled Joe....Time to get back on the road!
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:44 AM   #7
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
I know what you are talking about. It is nice to have a home base.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:12 AM   #8
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yep the only thing I miss is my Garage I HATE having to pay people to work on my rig because you cannot do anything at the resorts of course, I used to do it myself plus I liked doing it other than that I do not miss anything else OHH and my wife misses having a garden
Old 07-16-2015, 06:24 AM   #9
Neil.M
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12816
All you listed are valid reasons, but for us, they don't rise to the level to make us want to go back to having a stick and brick home base. Two years into the full time lifestyle and loving it!
Neil.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:37 AM   #10
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Always keep in mind,there will be a time when you won't be be able drive anymore for some reason or another and than you'll have to start thinking about starting all over again setting up a home or going into one.
I myself would keep the house and also travel as much as possible,of course that's just me!
Remember,that house is gaining value but that trailer isn't,Think of it as an investment toward old age.
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:42 AM   #11
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I enjoy my home far too much to ever full time and just can't wait to get back home and away from people noise and traffic. My favorite places to camp are in the Shirley Basin Wy, 440,000 acres of nothing and Union Pass Wy. It's on top od a mountain and some days you will see nothing but deer, elk, moose and maybe a car.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 01:00 PM   #12
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jjackflash

Always keep in mind,there will be a time when you won't be be able drive anymore for some reason or another and than you'll have to start thinking about starting all over again setting up a home or going into one.
I myself would keep the house and also travel as much as possible,of course that's just me!
Remember,that house is gaining value but that trailer isn't,Think of it as an investment toward old age.
When and if that happens we'll probably just stay in one place in our rig. As to a house being a good investment, after 20 years of improvements to a house on a lake we still lost money selling it (and were happy to get what we got) after 2008
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 01:02 PM   #13
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Glad you are happy but we don't miss the sticks and bricks one bit....

The only thing I miss are my big woodworking tools, otherwise I have all my hand tools, motorcycles and creature comforts we need!

Good luck with the new digs!
Old 07-16-2015, 01:29 PM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are with you JandC. We kept the S&B still do and go were and when we want to.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:42 PM   #15
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
After 5+ years of full-timing we miss.... Nada...nothing... Yes, I do have to wash dishes, but we do not miss.... Loading and unloading "stuff" when preparing to leave or when returning. We also do not miss... The taxes, utility, insurance...yard work... On a sticks and bricks. Or the upkeep, repairs, improvements needed on said s&b.

I cannot imagine worrying about a house and it's contents while being on the road. Plus trusting someone to come by and check on "stuff" and report truthfully.

Nope... Do not miss that...at all. And like Dick said... We will park it ...and stay in it!!! (Imagine..not having to move stuff...again!). That is my story..and i am sticking to it!!! Besides... The Man upstairs has our back. He has a plan. My job is to just listen and obey.
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 05:36 PM   #16
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
As Dick said we will park it as well....as Escapees members we have the option of staying at their Rainbow Park in Livingston, TX and have put ourselves on their long term lease lots waiting list. That is deal is you pay $12,000 for the first 5 years along with a yearly maintenance fee of about $800. The next 5 years and beyond the lease is $1 per year plus maintenance fee.

We are like number 21 or so on the list and they turn over and average of 2 to 3 per year.

If you are leasing as noted above if you ever decide to give the lease up, once they fill your lot you get your entire $12,000 back.

This will give us a home base and a place to park it if we so choose with having to own anything.

Old 07-17-2015, 01:18 AM   #17
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JandC

When we decided to buy a home in SW Florida recently it was more of a financial decision than anything else. We had barely made 3 years full timing in our Montana's and really loved the life style.

We have spent several weeks in our house getting some things done, plus our home base CG back north is flooded out. This is what we have noticed and/or missed about being in a stick/brick:

1. Can have all my tools in place and ready to use no matter what the weather.

2. Almost 10 times the living space.

3. If I want to plant a tree or a bush I can.

4. My vehicle is in a garage.

5. More importantly, my Harley is in a garage now that I can actually own one again.

6. If any of our kids or grandkids come to visit us they can actually stay with us.

7. My neighbors are at least 120 feet away from me rather than 25 feet.

8. If it is 110 degrees outside and I want the inside temperature to be 70 degrees I can.

9. When it storms I sometimes don't even hear it (brick/stucco construction) rather than having to start thinking about a shelter.

10. We don't have to defrost the refrigerator every two weeks.

11. As many groceries as we keep buying we still can't fill up the huge double door residential refrigerator in the house.

12. We didn't realize how much we missed a dishwasher.

13. If we want to use our grill or sit outside we are in a screened cage and private back yard, not under an awning looking at other RV's.

14. Large bathroom with a walk-in shower just can't be beat.

15. And one of the biggest advantages I have noticed..... I don't have to climb up on my roof and inspect for additional staples sticking up.

Don't get me wrong, we still can't wait to hit the road again in the Montana. We still have over 20 states to investigate. But the temporary transition back to a home has been pretty pleasant also.
Joe I am in total agreement with you and your 15 points!we spend about 5 Months away and really appreciated our Florida Home when we arrive back HOME in Mid Oct.it has appreciated 50 +Grand since 2010
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 02:11 AM   #18
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Kdeiss, we would have never purchased another home up north, or at least not in Illinois. You kind of hit the nail on the head reference the rapid appreciation in value.

Why spend several thousand dollars for RV lot rent each winter in SW Florida when you could add just a few thousand more each year and own a 8 or 10 year old home down here? We always towed from central Illinois to SW Florida to begin our winter stays, so if you add the costs of towing Montana plus RV lot rent for just each winter it adds up fast. In 10 years you have spent at least $75,000 that you aren't getting back and none of it can be deducted from your taxes. On the other hand if you spend a little more by purchasing a home down here, in 10 years you will at least get your initial investment back plus 10 years of tax considerations, and that is if the market would turn around and stay way down. Now if the housing market continues to go up, like it has started to do down here, then you could have a pretty high valued home in 10 years.

To each his own, but right now we feel we have the best of both worlds. Some of the cheapest housing costs and general cost of living we have ever had, plus the freedom to travel when and where we want in the Montana and/or the Harley.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:22 PM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
When we started out in 2006 I was OK with Full timing Helen not so much. We did not sell the house and everything in it and hit the road that first year.
We learned a lot in that year. The 2006 3400 Montana was plenty big enough and we enjoyed living in it. However we both agreed that there was no way we could live in it 24/7/365. we were always glad to get back to the S&B after months on the road and glad to get back in the Montana after a few months in the S&B.. We knew that sometime down the road we would have to plant ourselves somewhere but it was not going to be in a RV.

In reality the S&B is little more than a storage facility and a place we hang out in the summer time for awhile. We may still get a place in Florida for the winter months for when we can no longer RV and for as long as our health holds out. We have been able to handle this lifestyle for 10 years and we figure we have the best of both lifestyles. Everyone to their own lifestyle.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:58 PM   #20
Jimmer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14208
Joe I agree with you. We love to travel in our RV. Right now we are gone for 3 months and come back home. Home for a month and take off on some short trips and then in the fall we leave for 2 months. Next year we will be gone most of the winter in Arizona. We are always glad to get home and work around the homestead. After a couple of months on the road I miss the Vette and my KLR 650. But like you say to each their own. It is also good to get back and hang out with the kids and grandkids. Joe enjoy. Good luck with your roof.
Jimmer is offline   Reply With Quote