Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2009, 10:07 AM   #1
BobandCarol
Established Member

M.O.C. #8040
Rubber trim cleaning

I am trying to clean the rubber trim on the coach. I tried several cleaners and nothing will take the black moldy look off. I tried a Mr. Clean sponge and it helped but can't get the trim back to white like it should be. I use the rubber roof cleaner on the roof and another cleaner on the sides and they look pretty good. Hope someone knows of a good cleaner for the rubber trim.
Bob

BobandCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:21 AM   #2
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
Remove the moldings and put them in a bucket of water with a cup of bleach and let soak overnight and they will be as good as new.I do this ever year.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:29 AM   #3
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
We have used a little Greased Lightening on a sponge and a bucket of water to rinse with. Cleans very well and easy to do. You can find Greased Lightening at WalMart in the isle with all the cleaning stuff. They also carry a bright orange bottle of it in Automotive.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:56 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Another way, the $$ lazy mans way

Replace!!!!

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:06 PM   #5
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
We were trying to figure out the same and everything we tried just wouldn't get it. Was getting ready to replace when the salesman at Camping World suggested using a SOS pad. DW tried it and it cleaned up real nice. We had tried clorox water and greased lightnin' but would not come clean. And behold, a $2.00 SOS pad did the trick.
chieflawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:27 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
If you are referring to the rubber molding surround at the doorway, I can no longer remove mine because I had a problem where the molding would come detached while I was driving. I believe the molding is only to keep the elements out and cover the mounting screws.

I finally got around to drilling screws right through the rubber and into the door frame. That molding will never come off now. I also put some sealant over the screw heads. But the molding did get pretty dirty while it was being whipped around when I was driving and it came loose.

I think I'll try Jolu's method of cleaning because I don't have to remove the molding that way.

REMINDER - When cleaning, use nothing that has fruit (orange, strawberry, etc.) or floral scents or you might attact critters who think that what you just cleaned is food! This might cause some damage as they try and "eat" away.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:17 PM   #7
kcjolley
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9226
i used westley's whitewall tire cleaner, availabale at most auto prts stores or wal-mart.
kcjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 02:28 PM   #8
BobandCarol
Established Member

M.O.C. #8040
Well we tried a couple of the suggestions and the trim looks better. Mr. Clean sponge seemed to work pretty good with the Greesed lighting. Still isn't all off but better that it was.
Thanks All.
BobandCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:24 AM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We pulled ours out and with a rag soaked with lacquer thinner, pulled it through the rag and voila!! it came out white as snow. Needless to say, it's been three years and we need to do it again.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:58 PM   #10
Elise L Slenczka
Established Member

M.O.C. #8224
I keep the dryer sheets I put in the Monty for the winter, to keep the mice away. I then wet them and use them to clean the rubber trim and the silicone that has turned black. Works great and I am recyling too. Some spots may need a little help from "Awsome". Dryer sheets also work great on the bugs that stick to the front cap, The wet sheets don't scratch the surface. Dosen't matter what brand, I go cheepest. Another great cleaner for the black streaks and the rubber trim is Crown RV & Boat cleaner.
Elise L Slenczka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:15 PM   #11
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I removed mine and soaked them in a pail of bleach solution (cup to a pail of water) and let them soak overnight. They came clean, but are dirty again now, about a year and half later.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:57 AM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
If there is one thing that I learned over the years it is any producted labeled RV this or RV that is no different, other than a much higher price, than Greased Lightning or Awsome. This also applies to such things as RV black streak remover, RV toilet tissue, RV cleaners and wax, RV wash, RV rubber roof cleaner and the list goes on.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:07 PM   #13
electryc_monk
Established Member

M.O.C. #9362
Send a message via Yahoo to electryc_monk
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by chieflawdawg

We were trying to figure out the same and everything we tried just wouldn't get it. Was getting ready to replace when the salesman at Camping World suggested using a SOS pad. DW tried it and it cleaned up real nice. We had tried clorox water and greased lightnin' but would not come clean. And behold, a $2.00 SOS pad did the trick.

Makes me wonder how well a scotchbright pad would work on the roof crud that builds up on the sealant, and rubber roof cover. Anyone got a big scotchbright pad and pushed it with a broomhandle to see the success? Now I'm not talking buffer speed but, a gentle brushing.....

SOS (huh) go figure CLD.
electryc_monk is offline   Reply With Quote