Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2008, 03:05 AM   #1
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Federal Gas Tax.....

Keep your eyes and ears open. There is talk of a Federal Gas tax again. That is very scary. Can you afford higher fuel taxes. Just food for thought. GBY....

Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:12 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Though we may keep our eyes open, what can we do about any increases? Complain? Doesn't seem to do much good. You could've predicted that there would be a tax increase because less fuel is being consumed (at the request of the government), resulting in less revenue for the government. All we can do is pay it.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:38 AM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Come on guys! Give the man a chance. He isn't even in office yet and already you are attacking him. Of course you'll claim that no names were mentioned but that is just a smoke screen. We all know who you are referring to.

Why don't we just wait and see what actually happens. Then if laws and regulations change ways we don't want to see them...... then we can take action.

We certainly can't do any worse than we have with the current power group!

And if you don't think complaining and action gets anything done.... I simply ask you to look at the most recent results of our Presidential election. Seems to me we asked for and MAY get a change.

So far it looks to me as if there will not be too much of a change in anything! But I am going to wait until the new group is in power before I start criticizing.

Let's at least wait until the new guy is in power before we attack him.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:56 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
You mean an increase in the federal gas tax. There is already an 18.4 cent federal tax on every gallon sold in every state. Then each state has a state tax on top of that. Now that we have the perception of "cheap gas", it would be a prime time for anyone (Not just Obama) to try to increase the tax another few cents per gallon.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:15 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There is always talk but I don't think so. It is and always has been about demand and we (USA) Are the largest demander's of energy. If anyone has been paying attention we would see what impact OPEC has on the price of energy as they have been completely unable to affect the downward spiral in the price of energy due to the decrease in demand. The bad guys have always been us in our insatiable demand for fuel and our unwillingness to search for alternative resources or increase the resources we have. Again, if paying attention the incoming administration is about change and we need that badly. I like what I hear coming from this guy regardless of party or person. Let us see what this administration can do or will do before we disagree with things that may not happen.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:50 AM   #6
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I agree its not a lot we can do, except pay. Oh well I didn't change my driving habits when Diesel was almost $5.00 a gallon. And if it goes up I will keep going, might stay longer at one location. I just feel bad for the folks who had to change their RVing due to the high cost of Fuel. Hope you guys are right but any TAX is normaly not good, once its there it never goes away. Life is good. I think Oil went above $40.00 a barrel today, don't know if it stayed there or not been out and about enjoying the Sun Shine. GBY....
Old 12-29-2008, 10:09 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Just my opinion and I do pay close attention to things financial and political. I think we are at the bottom or near the bottom of this mess.
We are in the process of stabilizing the banking and auto industry, Consumer confidence etc, The incoming administration is talking about "projects" to restore the infrastructure.. in other words jobs for the consumer to buy things. Much change is needed and it will affect us all but it has to happen. I think the first quarter of 09 will see the beginning of the cure..We are still a long way off of a complete recovery.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:49 AM   #8
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
Lordy Lordy!! Don't mention "New Tax"!!! If someone in NC government hears of it they will implement it immediately!! If NC gets wind of anyway possible to raise taxes they do it.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:49 AM   #9
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Basically, none of us enjoy paying tax but me thinks some taxes can be a good thing. If change is really going to happen then some of that change will require revenue to fund it, something both our governments are lacking right now. Personally, I prefer consumption taxes on anything but the basics and fuel to me falls into the basics category along with obviously food and clothing. IMHO Canada leads the way in all forms of taxes making our cost of goods to be higher than those of our American neighbors but when one considers the value of our basically free health care system it should make one clearly understand why we must pay more tax.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:34 PM   #10
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DarMar

Basically, none of us enjoy paying tax but me thinks some taxes can be a good thing. If change is really going to happen then some of that change will require revenue to fund it, something both our governments are lacking right now. Personally, I prefer consumption taxes on anything but the basics and fuel to me falls into the basics category along with obviously food and clothing. IMHO Canada leads the way in all forms of taxes making our cost of goods to be higher than those of our American neighbors but when one considers the value of our basically free health care system it should make one clearly understand why we must pay more tax.
Sorry, buy I beg to differ...taxes are never a good thing. The government needs to think of a different solution besides "raise the taxes" to solving every problem. They could shift assets, reduce spending, stop giving raises, they could even lower taxes since that boosts the economy and increases spending and the gov gets more taxes anyway!

With all due respect, Canada has a horrible medical system. Sure it's free...it's just that you could die awaiting that wonderful 'free' treatment. My town is absolutely full of Canadian MDs...who practice here because the system is soooo bad in Canada. You are not getting your money's worth.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:52 PM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
The tax is expected - nobody ever tried to hide it was coming, but I sure complain less about a tax on $2 a gallon fuel than I do about tax on a $4-5 a gallon fuel! Heck, the tax might help save the company that made the truck I'm fueling (or at least the company that made my neighbors truck).
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:49 PM   #12
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Ok guys and gals, think about it-- It is NOT the new administration that is putting this in but the CONGRESS that YOU elected into office this last election. They are the ones that are making the laws and voting it in! They are the ones that are giving themselves a raise again. They are the ones that WE as taxpayers are feeding lunch to each and every day they are there in session not to mention their staff also that get the FREE lunches. If you think I'm joking-- PM or email me and I'll send you a 46 page report on the way OUR CONGRESS is wasting OUR tax dollars! This is a true report!
OK, I'm off my soapbox!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:53 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Humm. I am just wondering how the Government, any Government can raise money without imposing a tax. The Government provides services to its citizens, all kinds of services,How can we pay for them???? Maybe the Government should just shut down for say a month or two, provide no service what so ever.. I would like to see what we are buying for our tax dollar. I know I would not be getting my SS check or Medicare.

I don't know about the Canadian medical system since I don't live there but I do know that there are millions of folks in the good old USA who do not receive medical care of any kind because they can not afford it. Health care cost in 2007 were 2.7 Trillion $ the highest of any industrialized nation..46 million Americans have no health insurance....good for our system.The richest nation in the world and we will not provide health care to 46 million of us..Of course that is OK as long as we our kids or our parents our loved ones are not one of those 46 million..then..who cares ..right....Good for Canada at least they care.

On the free lunch thing..is this what you are talking about???

"Under current law, lawmakers and their employees can let lobbyists treat them to meals worth less than $50, with a yearly ceiling of $100 paid for by the same individual or firm"
Old 12-29-2008, 03:23 PM   #14
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Wowzer - this thread is bouncing off the curbs into all kinds of areas. Was "gas" actually a medical condition, a condition congress gets after a free lunch, or was it just gas you put in your car?
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:35 PM   #15
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

Ok guys and gals, think about it-- It is NOT the new administration that is putting this in but the CONGRESS that YOU elected into office this last election. They are the ones that are making the laws and voting it in! They are the ones that are giving themselves a raise again. They are the ones that WE as taxpayers are feeding lunch to each and every day they are there in session not to mention their staff also that get the FREE lunches. If you think I'm joking-- PM or email me and I'll send you a 46 page report on the way OUR CONGRESS is wasting OUR tax dollars! This is a true report!
OK, I'm off my soapbox!
Rondo,

You are apparently a bit confused. The Congress WE elected in this last election is not yet in power. They can do nothing until they are actually in Congress. That has not yet taken effect. The newly elected Congress did not pass a pay raise..... it was passed by the current Congress.

I don't know about the "free lunch" thing but that may be true. I know they get a lot of perks the average citizen does not get.

On another subject.... Regarding the Canadian Health Care. I do not know for sure but given my limited health care experience in recent months I suspect the trade off in taxes might be worth it! All it takes is one major health situation to open your eyes.

I hope that the incoming President and Congress will address and resolve the health crisis in the U.S. It is unconscionable that we have over 46 million U.S. citizens that have NO health insurance of any sort.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:40 PM   #16
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Dennis-- I stand corrected! You are correct in that the newly elected Congressmen have/had nothing to do with it but they HOPEFULLY will see the errors in their ways-- Fat chance, huh? It was the current Congress that gave themselves another raise! Love it when they can vote down an increase in SS or others and then give themselves a fat little raise!
Sorry guys for getting on the soapbox of government deals and getting off the gas tax subject!
Rich-- No, this is actually Free lunches from the cafeteria they have there!
Brad-- Maybe if they got the gas from their free lunches we'd get more done there in DC!Or create enough gas to supply us with fuel for a year or two!! It just might help! Did I just say that! Shame on me!!
Again I apologize and I'll return to the gas tax subject! I feel since we are now exporting a lot of OUR oil to the other foreign countries and buying so much from the Far East we also need to start looking into that arrangement. The reason I say we are exporting OUR oil is because my nephew who lives in Mississippi and works the fishing boats told us just yesterday while he was here visiting, that the tankers are leaving there with loads of crude from our wells in the Gulf. Instead of using our own oil we're producing to make our fuels here we're buying foreign. Does anyone see anything goofy in this thinking!! Let's just add a little more tax to buy more Far East oil!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:24 AM   #17
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Tom, to describe our medical system as horrible IS a stretch, my DW has worked as a nurse her whole life and she has many a great story about how our system has provided for the poor and less fortunate. It's not perfect, of course it too needs change but the basics of health care IS there and provided free of charge to everyone both rich and poor, but that comes as a price on the tax side of things.

Governments are all about tax and spend, this is nothing new. My point was, give the new administration time to prove that they can tax and spend in a proper, prudent manor. It's just that we have all been subject to soooo much abuse of our tax dollars that the word tax falls onto the catagory of four letter words.

If you are serious about health care reform then you have to be more accepting of new taxes, just that simple.

2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:49 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We do export oil products..look it up....

U.S. oil refiners were exporting more than 1.8 million barrels a day of crude oil, gasoline, diesel, jet fuel and other refined products. The top five destinations for U.S. fuel were Mexico, Canada, the Netherlands, Chile and Singapore."

"Since the market for oil and fuels is also global, it doesn’t matter where it came from. What matters is where the seller can get the best price. Since oil tankers burn fossil fuels to get where they’re going, higher fuel costs have increased the cost of shipping. So if you’re looking to buy or sell oil or gasoline, you’d rather deal with someone close by. "(remember selling energy is a business)( how about Government control on who we can sell it to)Says Rich???

Most all the ULSD diesel fuel in Mexico is refined in Texas...look it up. ( More Government control can fix that)

The country that the USA imports the most oil from...is Canada.....Look it up....

The free lunch thing interested me .Members of Congress are Federal Employee's just like we were and are subject to the same Federal law.

We have had lunch in the Rayburn Office Building Cafetera and everyone was paying, Pages, Staff, Federal employee's and members of Congress.

I am sre they get perks because of their position. I am now interested in exactly what perks they get.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:31 AM   #19
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I spent 15 years working in Washington DC and believe me most don't have a clue what goes on there. Something happens to people who go inside the Beltway. There has to be a name for it, I just don't know what.

As for TAXs, I understand the need for TAX, you don't have to very smart to understand that. But a fuel tax will never go away. Why not just say for 5 years we are going to pay 10% more on our Income tax for rebuilding bridges roads etc, then remove it after 5 years. What are your thoughts of that. But thats just common sense, which is liking on many officals. I also believe this year (2009) will be a serious test of the American people. GBY...
Old 12-30-2008, 05:42 AM   #20
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
As bsmeaton stated this topic started off as a discussion on gas tax. There has been a federal tax on gas for as long as I can remember. In the 1960's when I worked at a gas station it was 11.9 cents on the gallon. Gas then was 24.9 cents per gallon to 28.9 cents per gallon, so close to half the cost per gallon was tax. This tax was for federal roads and transportation expenses, that is why fuel for farm equipment and boats was not taxed. Since then some states have added sales tax to gas as well as program taxes such as California's 5 cents per gallon increases when ever it has a problem.

Gas taxes were originally used for road and transportation related costs, but today it is used a general revenue generating tool. Its easy to put extra taxes on fuel as people will complain but keep paying it. Along with gas taxes, another road and transportation related tax is vehicle taxes. These were to be used for state transportation related expenses but look at California, it is talking about raising its vehicle tax to cover its deficit. If another fuel tax is being added to generate revenues for the general fund, and not for transportation related items, I feel this is not good. Why not just increase income tax and stop deceiving people. How many people would tolerate the tax increases on income that are added to consumer items without questioning there representatives.

Also when an extra tax is added to fuel people look at it as an increase in fuel prices and complain about how the oil companies are raising prices, not the extra taxes that were added. How many people know how much tax is on a gallon of fuel already, especially in California.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote