Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2006, 09:26 AM   #21
vabluebird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6155
Thanks to both Steve and Carl,
Sounds to me like you could even run the coffee pot if you wanted to. I will certainly look into that. With all the WiFi connections out there, it's nice to get connected if you want to. It looks to me like the Air card is for those who are full timeing or on the road a lot. We should have WiFi when we get to Fla this fall. The campground owner was trying to extend the power so be could get it in the back.

Salle & Samuel
South Central Virginia
2000 Montana 35'
1998 Chev 3500 Diesel

vabluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 08:07 PM   #22
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Small heads up, if you are going to purchase a invertor, be sure it is of sufficient power to start up and run your laptop. I have one of those bright screen lap tops and it takes HUGES amount of power to run this baby! We had to go to a 375 watt(out in the truck, so the number may be off) invertor. There was a very long discussion about this when I was looking for an invertor, and no one on the forum could believe I needed that much. but, Al, is the electrician, and he ran the numbers (found on your brick for your laptop) for input and output and all that stuff.

Nother thing, the larger invertors, tend to make a humming noise, that for us, is rather annoying. We finally found that if the invertor itself were in the back on the floorboard, we could stand the racket.

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 01:26 AM   #23
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We have used a 375-watt inverter in the truck for the laptop for about 4 years. Provides adequate power for Marge's Toshiba.
Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 06:11 AM   #24
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
It's definitely a good idea to make sure you have enough power. Carol, my widescreen multimedia laptop with the bright screen runs fine on the 150 watt. I know we've had this discussion before but I still don't understand why yours takes so much and none of our five laptops do. Strange. I used to run an older laptop on a 75 watt inverter just fine but got a 150 awhile back. I don't think laptops draw nearly as much current as a desktop system. They are designed to max the battery life, so are a bit more thrifty.

Bottom line is to make sure you have enough.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 10:23 AM   #25
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve,

My computer manufacturer owns stock in the electric companies supplying me power????

My old lap top would barely start, without beeping and screaming and moaning and groaning on a smaller invertor. Cannot remember the size, no matter.

Anyway, takes the 375 or close to it to run the current lap top, put the invertor on the floor board in the back, have just enough cord to reach and this Gateway has no problem.

What size screen does your new one have??? This Gateway has a 15.4 inch?? Wonder if that makes any difference in required power??

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 04:29 PM   #26
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

I am now doing research on internet connection using the cell phone.. we both have cingular with rollover and are very satisfied with the service nationwide so we will stay with cingular.. I can not find any of those little kids that work at the stores that know anything about the subject.. So to those using air cards or PC cards..what are you using and how do you rate the service.
I'm using a Verizon PC Card and it works GREAT! I haven't been anyplace yet that it doesn't work. Where I full-time (secluded wooded area), most campers can't use their cellular phones I also have a verizon cellular phone with 900 monthly minutes and free weekends/nights and unlimited mobile to mobile. My monthly billing statement combines both units. I'm a happy camper, and I can use my computer in any room or outside without using cables etc.

2006 Montana 3500RL, New Cap Design, MorRyde Suspension, W/D, 2nd A/C, Fantastic Fans, MaxxAir, Fireplace, RotoChocks, Slide Awnings. 2005 Ford F350 Lariat LE, PSD 4x4 Dually, Long Bed, C-Betr Mirrors, Vortex Spray-In Liner, Access Tonneau Cover, Remote Starter, LED Running Board Lights
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote