Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2005, 09:26 AM   #1
OVERALL

M.O.C. #1965
Bed room slide gasket rolls up

Has anyone had any problems with the rubber gasket on the bottom and both sides of the bed room slide rolling up when you roll in or out the slide in a mountaineer 5th wheel.

OVERALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 01:57 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I can't help with your question but wanted to say congratulations on your soon to be first grandchild! They are truly a joy. Welcome aboard!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 06:54 PM   #3
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Steve

Is the bedroom slide made by Lippert also? If so maybe MIMF can help with our problem on the seals not working right, or do we have to call Keystone. OVERALL (David) has a Mountaineer 298 RLS and is looking for some help.

Heading out tomorrow to who knows where, and no PC we will be lost without it. Happy Camping Larry & LaVonne
Old 05-20-2005, 03:39 AM   #4
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Our answer to your question is "YES". We discovered about a 4 inch section of the lower 'gasket' hanging down the very first time we opened the bedroom slide on our 2955. That was three years ago. After much frustration with Keystone and visits to three Montana dealers (including the one from whom we bought in Panama City, Florida [600 miles from here]) it is a bit better, just a small triangle of the rubber gasket still 'exposed'.

Now for the good news: it has never caused a problem. Looking back, I don't think I would have worried as much about it as did. But, it was a brand new trailer and I did not want to accept that imperfection. I think that it may have been sitting on the sales lot in the heat and got 'stuck' the first time we opened it after that.

If yours is a new trailer, you should insist that it be repaired. Keystone should be aware of the problem. One othere comment: I have begun to use the spray on 'conditioner and lubricant'. I also believe something like "ArmorAll" will help the gasket to slide rather than bunch and roll.

Hope this helps.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 06:09 AM   #5
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
padrewd

Thanks for all the info. It's great to have people like you on the forum that will jump in to help out.

Packing now to hit the road, so don't have much time to write more.
Happy Camping Larry & LaVonne
Old 06-10-2005, 05:28 AM   #6
Montana_247
Established Member

M.O.C. #247
Yes I did. Dealer was happy to fix it. I also recently had to have the roof reatteached. Only cost $185 to have a dealer do it for me. I purchased my RV from Gresham RV in Portland Oregon but recently moved to Des Moines, Iowa. I found that Great Outdoor RV center was VERY professional and timely.
Montana_247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 06:02 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I think Lippert builds all the slide mechanisms but I am not positive about that. MIMF will likely be along soon and can help with these questions.

I'm not sure I understand the problem with the seals rolling that Overall is having. Ours has brand new seals on all the slides. I noticed the vertical seals do "roll", in a sense, when slides are going in and out. The outer edge starts to roll from one end and then the point of "roll" moves toward the other end of the seal as the slide continues its travel. Our slides are extended so I went out and looked at all six of the vertical seals. Five of them are fully unrolled, uniform from top to bottom. One is curled under for about 60% of its length but appears to be providing full sealing nevertheless, even at the point where it curls under. It's a tight fit. I'm not sure if this is the same that Overall is describing but since these are brand new seals I assume this is normal behavior. I have not observed the horizontal seals during slide transition.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 10:24 AM   #8
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
Overall, I had this problem about a month after I took delivery last year with my 328rls. I put the slide out and the bottom rubber seal was sticking about a foot inside the bedroom. The slide was way out of wack, the bottom moulding on the outside was ruined. The dealer said they installed it wrong at the factory(must of been installed on wacky tabacky tuesday)Dealer fixed it better than new and we haven`t had a problem since. All at the same time a 1-in. crack developed on the outside wall on the bottom right hand side when facing the bedroom slide at the corner of the opening were the slide goes in. A cosmetic fix did the trick.
mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 12:09 PM   #9
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Sorry folks, that is a Keystone issue. They build the room, we build the mechanism that hooks up to the room and pulls it in and out. You will need to call or e-mail customer service.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 02:46 PM   #10
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
OK, Steve, and any who are wondering: this is the 'gasket' underneath the bedroom slide. It is also the problem that existed from the beginning of our ownership which Keystone refused to allow us to bring to the factory for correction. This photo was taken a couple of years ago before final corrections by dealer and by my own treatment. I will add another photo in a following post:

Old 06-12-2005, 02:53 PM   #11
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Here is the second photo I promised. Note that I have cleaned the "smudging" caused by the gasket, but that the gasket is still "rolling up" in a way it should not. Note also the trim strip below the gasket which was placed by one of the repairmen earlier. Remember, I feel there is no functional problem at this time, but still do not appreciate the response I had from Keystone at the time of my original reporting of this problem. All this in the interest of simple honesty and fairness:

Old 06-12-2005, 04:12 PM   #12
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
padredw, that looks pretty bad. It looks like it should be quite a leaker in a rain storm or when you wash your Montana. Let us know how you get it taken care of. Thanks for showing us the pictures as the description would not have done justice to the acutal problem.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 03:12 AM   #13
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
DHenry, and all others, I see I need to clarify the existing situation. After these photos were taken we returned to our selling dealer in Panama City, FL (600 miles from here). They were finally able to greatly improve the situation. Actually, we feel that we have had far fewer problems than many on this forum. As far as we know we have NEVER had a leak, though we have not often traveled in rain. We are very happy, overall, with our Montana.

Our only sourse of unhappiness is in the unwillingness of Keystone to allow us to bring the RV in to Goshen at the very beginning to allow them to correct a problem which had been reported to us as really needing adjustment at the factory. That report was from a very large Montana dealer in Lexington, KY who refused to attempt any adjustment or repair because he felt the work could only be done correctly at the factory. We were then far closer to Goshen than we were to our home, but had not been permitted to bring the trailer in. We accepted that at the time because we were under the impression that this was the normal policy.

Our surprise, after we joined this forum, is that many owners have been allowed to bring in their units to have adjustments and repairs made at the factory, even some months after purchase. Our discovery of this defect was within the first week of purchase.

All this is necessary to understand why I would even mention this almost three years later. I responded to this topic becuase the question was raised as to what the problem was related to this gasket. It was not to complain.

We feel we have been among the fortunate owners who have had very few problems. We have no cracks in the siding, the spring shackles seem sound, the tires show little wear after three years and thousands of miles, the frame seems solid. In short, we have nothing to complain about. We are so happy with our Montana that we would not exchange it for any other model right now, or even for a 2005/2006 of the 2955. That last primarily because we value the sliding wooden doors and would never be happy with that plastic curtain between the bed and the bath area.