Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2005, 06:34 AM   #1
Montana_1929
Established Member

M.O.C. #1929
HOT WATER

We had our first shot at dry camping last weekend and could only get hot water while running the generater. Shouldn't we have hot water avail via 12 volt system?

2005 Mountaineer 318BHS

Thanks for any help...

Dave

Montana_1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 06:47 AM   #2
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
Hello David,
No. At least the Montanas do NOT have a 12 volt HWH. You should, however, have both electric 110 volt which is why you got hot water with the generator. If your propane tanks are full then you should have hot water available by switching on the propane portion of your system. There should be a switch on your control panel for turning the propane on and off.

RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 11:28 AM   #3
Montana_1929
Established Member

M.O.C. #1929
What I meant (but didn't explain) is I thought that the ignitor would function on the 12 volt system with the absence of 110vac. I don't know of any switch for propane/110. I thought it always ran (operated) off of propane and just used elec for ignition??? Am I to somehow manually light the pilot? (which I don't think I have)

Dave...
Old 05-29-2005, 01:30 PM   #4
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Dave
You are right the Ignitor works off the 12volt system. If it did not light it could valve problems and should still be under warranty. Might be something simple? Check to make sure that the propane tank valves are opened and the tank selection switch on the tank that you are using or on both. will the stove lite? Was the Reffer working?
Mel
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 03:30 PM   #5
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
sjordan007,
Dave..... I agree with Mel. The HWH should work with only 12 volts..... but you must have propane. On our Montana you MUST switch it on and or off. Perhaps some rigs have it automated.... that I don't know. Also make certain your propane tanks are full and the valve turned on. Also as Mel asked.... does your regrig work on propane? It has a 12 volt control board in it too.

Dave you probably do not have a manual pilot light. It should be an electronic one.

To summarize... you have two separate systems for heating the water. Or at least our Montana has... one is electric.... that would be 110v. The second one is propane. You should be able to heat with ELECTRIC only; PROPANE only; or you can run both at the same time. These separate systems are both located in or at the hot water heater. There should be a toggle switch right at the HWH and also a breaker for it located in your electrical panel.

RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 03:40 PM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
It wasn't mentioned, but you have to switch the 12 volt switch on. On our 2000 Montana, the switch is next to the water pump switch on the monitor panel. If this switch isn't turned on when you are on propane, the ignitor will not ignite.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 01:29 PM   #7
Montana_1929
Established Member

M.O.C. #1929
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

It wasn't mentioned, but you have to switch the 12 volt switch on. On our 2000 Montana, the switch is next to the water pump switch on the monitor panel. If this switch isn't turned on when you are on propane, the ignitor will not ignite.
On my monitor panel there is a switch labled "Heater". I assume that is for heating my holding tanks. We have the Glacier pkg and have heated tanks to keep from freezing. At the HWH there is an on/off switch which I leave on. I turn off the breaker on the elec. service panel inside. I'm not aware of any 12v switch anywhere? Propane is fine, stove, oven refer all work. Just no hot water unless 110vac is supplied...
Old 05-31-2005, 01:32 PM   #8
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
There are two switches on your monitor panel that light red when turned on. One is for the water pump and the other is for the hot water heater (propane). The switch that is outside on the heater is a 110V switch.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 03:26 PM   #9
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I hope I am not just restating the obvious, but I hope it is clear from this thread that the "HEATER" switch (next to the PUMP switch on our model) is NOT for holding tanks but for the PROPANE operation of the water heater. This switch must be on and propane must be available to have Propane operation. This should be available without AC power or with it for that matter.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 03:58 PM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
The "Heater" switch is NOT for the holding tanks. It is for your hot water heater. At least that is the way it is on ours. We also have the so called "Artic Package". Turn your electric part of your HWH off and turn on the "Heater" switch and see if you can hear the propane kick on the HWH. After about 15 -- 20 minutes you should have hot water. Sorry this has been so "complicated".

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 04:45 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
It may take 10 to 15 seconds before you hear the propane light off. You may hear a click when it starts to try to ignite. As others said, the heater switch would be for the propane side of the water heater. There is no switch for heating holding tanks. On the Montana, the holding tanks area in the belly is heated by a small duct from the furnace. When the furnace is not running, no heat is going to that area. I assume the Mountaineer is designed the same way but do not know that for sure.

Good luck. Hope you get this working for you. Be sure to let us know if you have more trouble with it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 04:49 PM   #12
Montana_1929
Established Member

M.O.C. #1929
Ok I think I've got it. The switch on the control panel labled "Heater" is for propane operation of hot water heater, and must be selected when operating on 12v system. I thought (assumed) that the HWH always operated off propane. What I'm hearing here is that when 110vac is available and the Heater switch is NOT selected the HWH operates via heater coil or probe. If heater is selected then propane is supplied for flame heat for 110vac or 12vdc and must be selected for flame heat while on 12vdc. It does make sence. Thanks for all the replys and clearing this up for me and the one who requires plenty of hot water. I'll be pulling the 5er out of storage in a couple of weeks and confirm it all...

Thanks again to all!!!

Dave
Old 06-04-2005, 02:44 PM   #13
Montana_1929
Established Member

M.O.C. #1929
Well I couldn't wait. I brought the 5er home and did as told in the post...Yep you guessed it, HWH works as advertised. I turned on the pump and ran the kitchen faucet for a moment to ensure pressure. I then switched on the "Heater" and walked outside to the HWH. After about 10 seconds I could hear the electronic ignition clicking and then the flame ignites...
Just thought I'd share the info, thanks to all who patricipated in enlightening me. Heck, since I have it home I might even read the manual and see what else I don't know...
Naaa... This is a much more enjoyable way to gain knowlege about the 5er.

Dave
Old 06-04-2005, 03:09 PM   #14
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Experience is the best teacher!!!!!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 03:47 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dave, you maybe have this all figured out already, but just in case....

When not hooked up to 110v, your water heater runs on propane only. It does use 12v, I think, for the control panel but does that whether on shore power (110v) or not. When on shore power you can run the WH off either propane or electric or both at the same time (for faster hot water recovery time). The switch on the wall is for the propane heater system. The electric heater switch is on the outside panel of the water heater unit.

You probably know not to have the electric heater element turned on when there is no water in the heater. It will fry the element in a few seconds.

Good luck. Sounds like you are having a good time "discovering" all the joys of rv'ing!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 04:24 AM   #16
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
I have a 327RKS Mountaineer and the way the hot water heater works is like this; There is a switch at the hot water heater that if in the on position the water is heated using 110 AC; or on the inside control panel I can press the hot water switch to the on postion making sure my LP gas is turned on and the water will be heated using LP gas. The switch on the inside (Heater switch) is for the igniter to light the pilot flame which does work on 12VDC. On the switch inside there is a small round indicator light next to the switch that when the LP gas lights this goes on. Sometimes I will flip the switch three or four times before it goes on indicating that the pilot has lighted and shortly there after I hear the water heater kick in.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote