Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2005, 07:03 AM   #21
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by padredw

You, er they, sure seem like nice folks to do business with, and your post is one of the most helpful I have seen. Thanks to you and to them.
Thanks padredw, that is a mighty fine lookin' rig you've got there. Mighty fine!

MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 03:14 AM   #22
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks for the excellent post, MIMF. Ours is an early '03 model and I recall the dealer saying Keystone sent a larger breaker when we had trouble with popping that breaker during slide maneuvers. We also were told at the time we had the "newer" slide mechanism, not the wire-type our prior Montana had. So maybe the early ones like ours did, indeed, need a larger breaker. In any case, since replacement with the larger breaker we've never had another occurrence of the popping breaker problem. (now if we're talking electrical in general, then popping breakers is a different story).

In case anyone is wondering, MIMF's profile states he is a 'slide out service rep', which fits with the implication of working with Lippert.

Thanks again for the excellent information.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 11:20 AM   #23
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
sreigle,

Did I implicate myself? Darn!! You caught me!
Old 01-10-2005, 04:32 PM   #24
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Glad to have you here and providing good, helpful info. Thanks.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:03 PM   #25
Jim B
Established Member

M.O.C. #1566
We have 2004 2955RL. I was instucted to always store the unit with the slideouts in. Also if you are camping for a long time then you should bring the slides in once or twice a week to exercise the system. Keeping the seals lubricated and to keep the slide components clean. Had mine for a year with no problems. We live in New Hampshire and camp in cold weather, no poping circuit breakers. 2004 Dodge 1 ton dully with HO Cummins.
Jim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 12:27 PM   #26
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Jim B,

Generally, you don't need to exercise the rooms that often. Once or twice a month is often good enough. Of cource when the coach is in winter storeage, the rooms will be in. If the coach sets for several months through the winter, you may not have the voltage available to operate the rooms. The best thing you could do is take the batteries out and store them at above freezing temperatures, keeping them fully charged.

The best thing you can do for the slide room arms is to clean and lubricate them with a dry lubricant, such as silicone before you bring the rooms in for the last time as you winterize and store it.

Now then,if you're lucky enough to be able to move from one end of this country to the other to stay in warm climates, like most of your coherts in this forum, then all you need to do is keep the arms rinsed off, keep the fluid level in the tank at about 1" from the fill/breather cap and enjoy your Montana.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:24 PM   #27
RonS
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1316
MIME - When do you check the fluid level when slides are out or in?? Or are levels always the same??
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 12:44 PM   #28
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mine has never been as high as an inch from the top. So should I add fluid? I don't think it's lost any in 2 1/2 years, it just was never that full. Does it matter whether I use the clear or the red fluid? And did you say ATF is the fluid to use?

RonS, I assume MIMF will respond but will add that on ours the fluid is very low right now with the slides out so must be at its highest with slides in.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:22 PM   #29
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
RonS and sriegle,

Here you go.

Always check your fluid level when all of the rooms are completely retracted. The level should be 1/2" to 1" from the bottom of the filler/breather cap. If you need to add fluid, you can use ATF. Dexron III or Mercon are the most common.

The fluid that the factory uses is generally clear or a light tan in color. This fluid and ATF are the same viscosities. ATF just has the red dye in it for some reason. By adding the ATF, you will simply change the color of the fluid so you can see it easier thru the tank. If all is well, sriegle, you are correct. You should never have to add any more fluid. However, it never hurts to have a quart handy.

ATF will also help your pump work better in extreme weather conditions. Super cold or super hot because that is what it was designed to do in the transmissions that it is used in.

You all know where to find me. Enjoy your Monty's. It is getting closer to the time to get her ready!