Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2011, 06:27 AM   #1
MBeaubien
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11424
Carpet Shampooing Suggestions ?

2 years Full Time & time to shampoo carpets in our Monty. I know it's best to extract as much water as possible. What tips, suggestions or methods others here have used would be appreciated !

MBeaubien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:41 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I always used one of the Rug Doctor type machines, then left the rig sit with windows open for a day. It worked very well. Lowes, Home Depot, etc. rent the machines.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:55 AM   #3
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
We purchased a bissel pro heat and use it twice a year. Really makes a difference. Whatever you decide to do, try to do on a NON-humid or low humididty day. Don't use as much shampoo as they call for or you will be rinsing for days. Pulling out the shampoo is the secret. if you leave shampoo in the carpet it collect dirt faster. We shampoo in sections and early in the morning to allow best drying time. Living room area one day, kitchen, steps and bedroom the next day or so. If you have old towels around after you have cleaned carpet and extracted the best you can we lay towels on top of carpet and use it to pull out more moisture and also to walk on before it is dry. Then when we go to bed, pull up towels and by morning is it dry. Hope this helps. The first time we had a professional come do them and he charged about what the carpet cleaner cost us. So that was a no-brainer to purchase our own system. Good luck, Teresa
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:18 AM   #4
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
I like to use a yard sprayer, the pump kind, to spray the shampoo on the carpet, then just use hot water in carpet cleaner. Keeps the machine cleaner, easy to use and allows the shampoo to soak in a little more.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:41 AM   #5
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
I use a product called "Capture". They provide everything. First you spritz a liquid spray over all the carpet, then you sprinkle a powder and use the brush to brush it into the carpet. Wait about 1/2 to 1 hour and then vacuum it all up. It really works great. I had a professional come in and clean the carpets the first time and was really unhappy with the results. Since then I only use the Capture and after 5 years my carpets aren't too bad.
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:03 AM   #6
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
I too use the Bissel Pro Heat. It does a great job, but eats pump belts. I open all slides and start early in the morning. I pretreet with Resolve Stain Remover. I keep going over it slowly in different directions after the initial shampooing just to pull out as much water out as possible. I let both A/Cs run. It takes about six hours to dry to the touch. Before I bought the Bissel, I rented the Thermosan system from Ace Hardware and had very good results at home, but it is a bit bulky for the Monty.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:32 AM   #7
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
We use a telephone and call someone. Usually get it cleaned when we get to Winter Quarters and again when we get ready to leave. Several people get together and get a lower rate. Of course the only carpet we have is the bedroom and it looks like a real JOB to change it to wood. In Arizona it dries in about that quick.g
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:28 AM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I use a Hoover Steam Vac that we also use at home. I pick a day when the humidity is very low. I don't put down a lot of water and I vacuum it up quickly. Then turn on the AC to help reduce the humidity even more and set some fans around to keep the air moving across the carpets. Dries very quickly.
We spend about 2 1/2 weeks in a campground in Colorado where the sites are not paved or graveled. Just native soil that has the consistency of talcum powder. Doesn't really get muddy, but if wet it really sticks to your shoes. And if windy, it blows all over everything. The bucket in the steam vac ends up with a lot of mud in the bottom after if finish.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:45 PM   #9
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
My carpet guy (who has been doing this professionally for a long time) says the less detergent, the better. He'll be cleaning my carpets in the Monty when the time comes.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:30 PM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I have done as bigmurf. We do ask if they just use a wand or a buffer type machine, (better), that really gets deep down. Here in the park we are at, the buffer is a Spanish fellow, on hands and knees but does a fantastic job. We plan the day out after they get done and use both AC's and fans to dry. As fulltimers we try and do it three to four times a year, depending on where we have been camping.....We moved out of it in April and set up house and had it done then, so carpets are sparkley clean. Washed and hand waxed also. Pretty clean for the next owners.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:24 AM   #11
pound99
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1836
For my home carpet I use hoover steam cleaner carpet extractor. For the monty I use Woolite heavy traffic carpet. The kit comes with sample can of cleaner and brush with sectional 3-part handle. I keep this for the next usage to use again. The heavy traffic can is plug ed in the brush and will come out when in use. this work great for 3.99 a can. two cans for the camper will do a clean job.
1. vacuum carpet
2. apply brush applicator side woolite foam to section of carpet
3. scrub with brush side .
4. repeat for each section
5. when done run vacuum
6. spots repeat the same until clean.
heavy spots I use TECH stain remover. it works on every type spot.
pound99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:12 PM   #12
dustinc02
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4877
I see you are in Grants Pass. Call Stanley Steamer, they are out of Medford. They did a great job with our carpets the last time we had them done. Cost about 100 to 120 bucks including the service call. Did a better job than the Rug Doctor. If you are looking for a place to stay in Grants Pass, check out Joe Creek Waterfalls RV resort. The best in Grants Pass. The owners are delightful. If you do, tell them I said hello.
dustinc02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:49 AM   #13
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Just had Stanley Steemer do my complete trailer. Living room, hallway, and bedroom. We also use several throw rugs in the heavy traffic area and they cleaned them also. $100.00 and it was taken care of. Cheap in my book. Drying time was a couple hrs.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:07 AM   #14
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Deleted
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:41 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Helen has one of those Kirby systems.It does every thing but water the lawn. She has been cleaning the carpet once sometimes twice a year for the last 5 years and the carpet looks very good. We do not remove our shoes we just walk on it.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote