Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2011, 04:02 AM   #1
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Torq And Go torque

I have a question and a caution.

I ordered and installed Torq And Go lug nuts from Dexter. In case you don't know what these are, they are two piece nuts. The conical end is one piece and the nut is another. They're joined in such a way that they provide a smooth machined surface for the nut to act on. This means they put far more of the applied torque into tension than a traditional nut. With traditional nuts a significant amount of torque is eaten up by friction. These guys don't lose torque, period!

Anyway I installed them and because I apparently have lost far too many brain cells in my old age, I torqued them to the Dexter spec, 120 ft lbs. One of my studs went soft on me and would not take the torque. I'm told this is due to the threads 'stretching'.

When this happened I backed off my torque to 100 ft. lbs. and continued without incident. Now all my bolts are at 100 ft. lbs.

It turns out that with 100 ft. lbs. of torque the new nuts result in the same stud tension that you get with 120 ft. lbs. with conventional nuts. Of course I didn't look this up until it was too late.

So if you use these guys, back off. And for those of you who already have these new nuts, what are you torquing to and have you had similar problems?

pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:54 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I thought it was the bolts that stretched not the threads. Are you saying that the threads sheared? That's a different problem and that might be caused by overtorquing.

That's interesting information about backing off, but how does one figure what to back off to? It sounds like you were able to read it somewhere.

I'm staying with the original nuts and torque them and check them the old fashion way. It helps me remember how and what torque. I find that as I advance in age, practice and repetitiveness helps me remember, otherwise I have to do what real men DON'T do and that's to read the manual. My biggest problem is I forget where I put the manual.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:05 AM   #3
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
The way this was explained to me is that before the bolt stretches the threads do. They don't shear they just increase (ever so slightly) the distance between peaks as the nut pulls on them.

Yes there is a chart of torque vs. bolt tension on the Dexter brochure for the Torq and Go nuts. I'm not sure it's the right thing to do at this point but the way I read the chart 100 ft lbs on the Torq and Go yields the same tension as 120 ft lbs on the originals. My thinking is that it's the bolt tension that holds things together.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:51 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
In talking directly to Dexter ant their Goshen, IN office, they indicated that 120 ft lbs was okay, except on some steel wheels. The wheels themselves will not handle 120 ft lbs with the Torqu 'n Go lugnuts. I had one lug sheer off on one of my two steel wheels. Replaced the wheel and changed out all six lugs (they are press fit) and torqued to 120 ft lbs. Works fine. I am of the opinion that 100 ft lbs will work fine also. No problem with aluminum wheels. BTW I've had my Torque n' Go lugnuts since June 2010 with 8,000 miles on them and they are still holding their torque.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:38 PM   #5
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Orv:

I have aluminum wheels as well and don't understand why one lug would go soft on me. Any ideas?

I'm going to stick with the 100 ft lbs and do some frequent checks once I start moving again.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:33 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pbahlin

Orv:

I have aluminum wheels as well and don't understand why one lug would go soft on me. Any ideas?

I'm going to stick with the 100 ft lbs and do some frequent checks once I start moving again.
No, I don't know why one would go soft. I had one also but replaced it and everything is fine. Could be that mine was torqued too tight. Although Dexter okayed mine at 120 ft lbs, I've backed off to around 100.

Orv
Old 03-14-2011, 04:43 AM   #7
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
I'm a bit confused by this rhetoric.

Are you saying the aluminum wheels with the standard lugs should only be torqued to 100 ft. lbs. instead of 120 ft. lbs?
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:40 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

Are you saying the aluminum wheels with the standard lugs should only be torqued to 100 ft. lbs. instead of 120 ft. lbs?
No. The standard lugs should be torqued at 120 ft lbs. The torque 'n go lug nuts actually torque a little higher than the standard lug nut. My Torq 'n Go lug nuts are torqued at 120 ft lbs. However steel wheels will not withstand that much pressure on the lug nuts. That's why I mentioned going at 100 ft lbs on steel wheels. Aluminum wheels? My two are torqued at 120 ft lbs. BTW they do hold their torque.

Orv
Old 03-14-2011, 10:36 AM   #9
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

No. The standard lugs should be torqued at 120 ft lbs. The torque 'n go lug nuts actually torque a little higher than the standard lug nut. My Torq 'n Go lug nuts are torqued at 120 ft lbs. However steel wheels will not withstand that much pressure on the lug nuts. That's why I mentioned going at 100 ft lbs on steel wheels. Aluminum wheels? My two are torqued at 120 ft lbs. BTW they do hold their torque.

Orv
Orv,
Thank your of clearing that up for me; guess I'll stick with 120 ft. lbs with the aluminum wheels. BTW, mine still move every once in a while.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:17 PM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
simonsrf,
My Torq 'n Go lugs don't move. Are you talking about standard lug nuts? It's true that you have to keep tightening them. But I've checked my Torq 'n Go lugs once in a while and they stay right where they were set.

Irv
Old 03-16-2011, 02:58 AM   #11
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

simonsrf,
My Torq 'n Go lugs don't move. Are you talking about standard lug nuts? It's true that you have to keep tightening them. But I've checked my Torq 'n Go lugs once in a while and they stay right where they were set.

Irv
Yep, standard lug nuts on aluminum wheels...I torque them to 120 ft. lbs.