Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2010, 04:48 AM   #1
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Senior Federal Rec lands pass

I don't happen to qualify for this yet and $80 / yr is still steep for what / where I happen to be vacationing. So this is for the rest of you that qualify for the %50 discount on camping.

http://www.nps.gov/fees_passes.htm

America the Beautiful – National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass – Senior Pass. - Cost $10.

America the Beautiful – National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass – Senior Pass
America the Beautiful – National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass – Senior Pass
This is a lifetime pass for U.S. citizens or permanent residents age 62 or over. The pass provides access to, and use of, Federal recreation sites that charge an Entrance or Standard Amenity. The pass admits the pass holder and passengers in a non-commercial vehicle at per vehicle fee areas and pass holder + 3 adults, not to exceed 4 adults, at per person fee areas (children under 16 are admitted free). The pass can only be obtained in person at the park. The Senior Pass provides a 50 percent discount on some Expanded Amenity Fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, boat launch, and specialized interpretive services. In some cases where Expanded Amenity Fees are charged, only the pass holder will be given the 50 percent price reduction. The pass is non-transferable and generally does NOT cover or reduce special recreation permit fees or fees charged by concessionaires.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:03 AM   #2
ONERUNNING
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10448
Thanks for the information. Don't know if is fortunate or unfortunately that I qualify for the senior pass. Can remember the days when I use to look forward to being a senior citizen. But now, I wish there were some way we could slow time down. The older we get the faster it seems to go. I guess that is why I'm trying to enjoy it while I can. Anyway, that again for the info, it's something that I'll get.....Joe
ONERUNNING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:35 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Have had the Senior Pass for a few years now. It is nice to just drive through the gates with no fee on these National Parks. We have visited Hurricane Ridge 3 times this year with guests. The whole car load of us go in on the one senior pass.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:26 AM   #4
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
We have used ours about 6 times this year and plan on 5 or 6 more times this year. Maybe the only thing good about getting old.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:16 AM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
For those with access to military bases those passes are sometimes recognized there too.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:41 AM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
If you are disabled, that pass is free. They used my handicap plaque as proof. These passes (both Sr and handicap) are also good for 50% off camping fees in federal campgrounds. You can make the reservations on line, enter your pass number, and it automatically adjust the amount. Some federal campgrounds have FHU, others only water or electric or both. The website is really easy to use. It is Recreation.gov
Happy trails................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:58 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Used mine several times in Yellowstone NP when we were sightseeing.

Since I'm in Texas I have the Texas Parks pass also. So check in your home state and see hat they offer for the State Parks also.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:56 PM   #8
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
The $10 we paid for our passes is the best investment we have ever made. Too bad the stock market isn't as good. Also, why is it we get discounts when we are mature and can afford full price, but when we were young and raising a family we paid full price with no discounts?
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:17 PM   #9
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
We just got a senior pass, my wife is much older than I am... Used it in Yellowstone, badlands, crater lake, craters of the moon, glacier, and Theadore Rosevelt. Cost $10 and lasts for life!
Mine won't last long after I post this.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:34 PM   #10
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
We got ours a few years back and it wasn't 80.00 either I think it was 10 as some of the other post stated. we have saved a lot of money in fees in all our tavels, last month it was Glaiser nat park. we love and do use it, we try any park we enter and ask some time we get lucky.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:43 PM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Every year I get older and I am not old enough. By the time I qualify for the Senior pass, I'll probably be out of RVing but I'll keep my fingers crossed. Heck, I am not even old enough for the senior dinners at Denny's, not that I am looking forward to that, but I am real close!

Too bad my rig is too long for most of those campgrounds. But I can still tent camp! I'm looking forward to the lifetime discount. I'll only need 4 or 5 nights to pay for itself.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:47 AM   #12
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We have used our golden access pass so many times that we feel guilty so we usually leave a few bucks in the donation box when we see them....Ours were $10.00 each.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:25 PM   #13
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
My golden access pass was free for life as I'm a disabled vet. If you served in the military and are drawing a disability, it is likely that you qualify. I encourage my fellow disabled vets to get their well deserved benefit. Go to the following link for more information: http://www.nps.gov/pub_aff/access/ac...ass.htm#obtain
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:05 AM   #14
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
I might add that you should check the state that you live in for FREE passes also if you are SENIOR and/or disabled. In my home state, I get hunting and fishing license free. You do have to purchase a habitat stamp......JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:00 AM   #15
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Deadeye,
Excellent advice. In California we get the discount card. Nice. Thanks for reminding us.
Travel safely,
HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote