Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2009, 04:24 AM   #1
timbuktu78
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3641
new TV and new 5er

Hey Y'all,

It's been a while since I last posted. A couple of years ago I sold my truck and 3400 RL. Recently I bought a new truck and my wife and I are trying to decide if we want to get a bumper pull or 5er. But here's the problem and please let me know if y'all have any thoughts....the new truck may be too tall to pull a 5er.

My old truck was a 05 2500 Ram CTD with a 4" suspension lift with 37" tires and I pulled a 06 3400 RL 5er. I was six inches nose high and had six inches of space between the bottom of the nose and the bed rails. My new TV is a F-350 with a similar lift and tire size with bed rails at 62", which I think is slightly taller than the Dodge but not sure.
I've been on other forums and many people with the same set up pull toy haulers no problem. So I think it can be done as long as I choose the right 5er.

Does anyone have a lifted truck pulling a Montana with close to 62" height on bed rails? Don't Montanas come from the factory with the axles already flipped to make them taller? When I bought my 3400 RL brand new, that's what the dealer told me.

I do realize towing with a lift kit raises other concerns such as diminished towing capacity, wind/stability issues, etc. Right now I'm just trying to lay out all of the facts so the best/safest decision can be made. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim

timbuktu78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:46 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I think you just trucked yourself out of the fifth wheel market.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:05 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
yeppers I would agree with Stiles. Ours is a little high on the F350 without any lift kit.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:18 PM   #4
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
you could also get top heavy for a trailer on the bumper ,, up that high is risky,,, i have 20" tires on my tv and some say i am toooooooo high ,,,sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:50 AM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I have an '07 F350 CC LB SRW FX4 with 20" wheels. It was also quite tall in the rear even without a lift kit. I found out after I bought it that Ford has a TSB (technical service bulletin) about some F350 trucks being too tall for a 5th wheel trailer and their fix for it. The TSB (or a similar one) had been around since '99. Originally it was treated as a warranty item, but later became the buyers responsibility. Since I had told the salesman what I as buying the truck for and he did not mention the potential problem, I convinced the dealer (after considerable pressure) that they were going to do the work for free. Took a while but they finally gave in.
So I ended up slightly lower than factory to get mine right, not lifted.
The TSB specifies replacing the 4" spacer blocks under the rear axle with 2" blocks. Requires new shackles and possibly new shocks. My original shocks were OK. Really wasn't a big deal. Took less than an hour for them to do it.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote