Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2009, 02:59 AM   #1
bobby A
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7333
lifting from frame or axle

I went to my local tire store recently inquiring about new tires for the big sky, I ask them how they lift the trailer off the ground to remove and replace the tires. I wasn't very confortable with the answer, saying what ever is easier. I told them I DO NOT want them to lift my trailer by the axles. I have always been told if you need to change a tire to life the unit by the frame closest to the tire. If you lift it by the axle you will bend the axle. Need everyones input on this. Thanks

bobby A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:09 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
You are correct. Lift somewhere next to the wheel.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:17 AM   #3
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
The Montana manual says to place the jack by the spring hanger...the Dexter manual says do NOT lift by the axles or suspension. But you'll get all sorts of answers here...you decide.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:06 AM   #4
bobby A
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7333
Yea, thats what I figured, I have heard before to life at the shackles ?? Isn't that considered a suspension part ?? Also, I do know we have to watch out for the gas lines at the frame, depending on where your appliances are, so I sure would hope that who ever changes my tires they don't put a jack stand and lift in an area that will damage my gas lines. I guess I will just have to be there and baby sit and make sure they don't damage anything, or lift from the axle.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:31 AM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
When I had my tires changed on the 3400RL I walked out behind the shop where they were doing it and they had just started to lift both side with the jacks about 1 to 1-1/2 feet in from the wheels. I immediately stopped them, explained the 14000 pounds and had them move the jacks to just next to the wheel. All went well after that.

I do monitor when having my rig worked on. Dealers usually know the procedure, but other than dealers will not know the proper procdure as well as you do.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:47 AM   #6
jsnip42
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #179
Thanks for the "heads up". I have never thought about it being bad for the axle. I was just thinking about taking my wheels off and taking them to be balanced. Just goes to show I still got a lot to learn. Thanks guys.
jsnip42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:11 AM   #7
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
When I had the tires changed I made sure they lifted the axle right next to the wheel. Their Jacks couldn't reach the frame.
If I had to do it in my driveway I'd have the same problem.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:50 AM   #8
bobby A
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7333
I don't want there jax's anyware near my axle !! I would/will blow a gasket myself (lol)
Frame only !! closest to the wheel as possible AWAY from the gas lines !! You have to use wood to build up so the jackstands will reach the frame, thats why it pays to have different thickness and lenths of wood in the bed of your truck on in your basement somewhere. You never know when you might need it. Last summer we were caravanning with a couple and they had a blowout where we had to stop the rig and change the tire was ashfault on a hot summer day. Needless to say, the jack stand sunk right into the warm ashfault, thats where the wood becomes handy, just put the wood down first and put the jack stand on the wood and no sinkage. Who would of thunk it !!
Old 02-05-2009, 07:05 AM   #9
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=32554
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:07 AM   #10
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
I’m not trying to start an argument but what is the danger of carefully lifting from the axle under the spring assembly? Educate me! I know I had to remove a wheel last year and that is where I lifted. It would appear to me that lifting from the frame would take quite a lot of lifting to get the wheel off of the ground. On another note while traveling isn’t there extra stress placed on the spring assembly and axles if you are in a rough area?
Old 02-05-2009, 07:18 AM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I do mine right under the axle saddle at the spring as LonnieB states above. That is the load carrying portion of the axle anyway. I think some of the horror stories come from folks jacking up the axle at a point inward from the spring.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:10 AM   #12
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I just cannot understand the reasoning for jacking under the frame. First, the frame on our unit is a good 2' off the ground. I simply do not carry blocking to safely jack under the frame. Secondly, with spring flex, it has to go wwwwway up. And we worry about the front jacks being level to 1/4" or so? Think about how much you are twisting the frame when you jack one side up that high. When we blew one of the maypops last fall, it was on the front drivers side. I laid a couple short pieces of 2 X 6 behind the rear wheel and backed the rig up on it. Took very little lifting to change the wheel out. I don't care what the engineers say, I'll continue to lift on the u-bolts on the axle. JMHO
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:36 AM   #13
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I can see this topic becoming an opinion battle quickly if we are not careful.
I also jack on the frame as close to the front or rear spring mounting point. I do make sure the jack is centered on the "I" portion of the I beam. As mentioned by Will I do carry 6x6 blocks and use them to raise the SIX TON bottle jack and then put a jack stand under the I beam to support the trailer before I do any work. Any time I jack a side I make sure the truck is attached to the trailer to support the front weight. I do not trust the front jack legs with any sideangle stress cause by jacking a side.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:28 AM   #14
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I jack the frame about 3" and support with a jack stand. Then I lift the wheel off the ground at the axle. The gives me play without trying to lift the weight of the unit on the axle, but I don't have to lift the frame 10" up to get the wheel off the ground.

Do a shackle & wet bolt job, then you will get real insight about safely jacking your rig. You have to get frame support and then manipulate the axles to do the job.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:17 AM   #15
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Hmmm? I thought I replied to this one. Like Stiles I jack the frame to take the load off the axle and then jack the axle. It only take 2-3 inches on the frame and the axle will lift easily.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:09 PM   #16
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
As most know we had a Cambridge 358 and it was the heaviest 5th wheel we have owned. When I had to replace all the Aluminum wheels I put the bottle jacks under the spring hangers and raised the one axle at a time and always use jack stands. I really don't think I would put the jack under the frame, just my opinion. However I don't have that problem anymore, we now have the hydraulic side to side leveling system and it will raise the 5th wheel off the ground, however I will still use jack stands. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:16 PM   #17
bobby A
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7333
As someone mentioned in this topic, I think its an opinion thing, bottom line do what you feel best, but I think we all can agree, just be careful doing it. Camping World makes this thing that you roll on and it will take the remaining wheel off the ground,I think that is a great idea, its quick, safe and you are not lifting from the axle or the frame. Thanks for everyone's input on this topic. But if anyone feels compled to continue this topic, my ears will be open. Thanks everyone
Old 02-06-2009, 02:53 PM   #18
Dmaxdon
Established Member

M.O.C. #8452
Most heavy vehicles are always lifted by the axle as close to the hub as practical. Tire shops always do this. Pick up trucks always came with axle jacks and the older frame type cars had bumper jacks. Lifting loaded pickup trucks with a bumper jack can damage the frame. I would never, never, lift my Montana by the frame alone. IMHO, the people that take some weight with the frame and lift the axle to get the tire off the ground are doing nothing wrong, the people lifting the axle alone near the hub are doing nothing wrong, but the people lifting the unit with the frame alone are completely wrong and one of the biggest reasons I like to buy new units. You never know what types of abuse a used unit has suffered.
Dmaxdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:04 AM   #19
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dmaxdon

I would never, never, lift my Montana by the frame alone. the people lifting the axle alone near the hub are doing nothing wrong, but the people lifting the unit with the frame alone are completely wrong.
Opinions are running rampant...it has been clearly noted in the appropriate publications that Keystone and Lippert say use the frame and Dexter says do not use the axles.

I think it's time we put this thread to bed.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:26 PM   #20
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
The only consensus I can derive from this post is: To each his own!!! I second what Bill Hoover said as we seem to be just wasting space....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote