Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2007, 09:32 AM   #1
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Bugs

I have read the threads in this forum and learned about the different waxes and cleaners you all have been using, but DW insists I ask if any of you have ever used Pledge on the front cap. I've gotta to keep her happy!

Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:02 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I've never tried Pledge because it is primarily an "inside of the rig" product. There are many cleaners that will remove the bugs, but the best method I've found (here on this forum) is the use of Bounce (or generic) dryer sheets and water.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:21 AM   #3
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
I agree with Orv
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:27 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
A friend of mine used Pledge on his fiberglas boat. His boat always looked sharp so I guess it may also work on the front cap. He was also a fanatic with his boats. Don't think he would use Pledge if it didn't work. Tell you what, you try it and let us know.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 01:59 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Bounce! Bounce! Bounce!

It works wonderfully. I didn't even have to get on the step ladder or bring the bed of the truck in to stand on. I have a window squeegee with an extension. I wet the Bounce, put it on the cloth side of the squeegee and washed away. It would slip off once in a while, but would stick to the cap, just reposition and keep washing. Not much elbow grease is needed to have whatever is in that material activate and remove the bugs.

I said, "Hmmm!" Looked at the extended mirrors on the truck and they were brown with bugs. Bounce took them off in a very short time. Did the whole front of the F-350 and oh, how clean.

Semper Fi!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 03:30 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I use the Bounce fabric sheets to wipe the front cap after a trip. I have also heard some folks use PAM anti stick spray on the front cap -- supposed to stop the bugs from sticking.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 03:35 PM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
The bouncers win hands down.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 05:08 PM   #8
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
The dryer sheets(new or used) work like magic. You will have to rinse well after but hey,,, you are cleaning!
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 01:44 AM   #9
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Quote:
quote:Montana Sky wrote: I have also heard some folks use PAM anti stick spray on the front cap -- supposed to stop the bugs from sticking.
We have a friend who applied Pam on his car for a cross country trip. He overnighted with us and his car looked just awful. Can't remember any bugs, but just a terrible film on his paint job. I need to ask him how hard it was to remove that film.

DW's interest in this issue is to find a substance that won't discolor (temp or perm) the front cap and will prevent the bugs from sticking.

Used bounce sheets can also be tucked into your belt or shorts and will help fend off bugs.
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 04:31 AM   #10
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Last summer that question came up on the SKPs forum. The question then was how to keep the love bugs from destroying the paint. For cleaning them off the best item is Bounce. The best product they found was REJEX. You can get it at most True Value Hardware stores in the automotive section. You get the vehicle clean and dry, then you put the REJEX on as per the instructions. Let it sit on there for at least a half hour then buff off the haze. Micro fiber towels work really well. The vehicle should then be allowed to cure for 24 hours. I put this on my truck in mid July and it is still keeping the bug problem down. I can clean them off with just a hose or a light wipe after the hose. This stuff is not a silicone and does not effect the paint if you need body work. It is like Rain-X for your vehicle body and it does work on the glass too. While we stayed at Kings Bay, Ga I did the front of the Big Sky. On the trip to Savannah we caught some pretty serious buggage. about 80 percent hosed right off and the rest came off with a sponge mop. I love the product... Dave and Betsy P.S. here is a link for REJEX. http://www.corrosionx.com/rejex.html
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:44 AM   #11
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The very best product I have ever tried to get bugs off the front of my camper is PURPLE POWER. You can get it at Advance Auto. Their web site is www.clean-rite.com. It works far far far better than Bounce, and cost about $5 to $6 a gallon. It can be used on almost any thing. I went on a 6000 mile trip in late summer, when I got home the front of my Monty was BLACK. I hosed the front of my camper down, brushed the Purple Power on waited about 5 minutes, repeated once. CLEAN no hassel no elbow greese, done...
JUST TRY IT, IT WILL WORK, and it will not hurt the front of your Monty.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote