Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2006, 12:16 AM   #1
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
BULLSEYE PORTABLE DISH MOUNT

Anyone use this type of dish mount? It brags up a lot of mounting options and suppose to be more stable than a tripod.

old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 03:05 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by old turbo

Anyone use this type of dish mount? It brags up a lot of mounting options and suppose to be more stable than a tripod.
Why spend the money for a tripod? I use a 24" 2X8 with my dish mounted on it. I set up using a satellite finder ($30 at Radio Shack) and fasten the 2X8 down with two tent pegs (Wal-Mart), one at each end of the board.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 06:30 AM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I agree with Orv. This summer while we were in Northern Arizona we were having trouble keep the tripod up. Wind and kids kept knocking it down. We finally attached it to a board, set it on the picnic table and put a couple of bricks on each end of the board. Worked great and we never lost service even through the thunder storms and hail.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 07:34 AM   #4
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Thanks for the advice.I am going to try the board method here at the stick house for a trial run. I may try to hold it into the ground with a couple of dog chain ground screws. With all the money I will save I will have an extra tank of fuel for the winter in Texas trip.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:34 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by old turbo

Thanks for the advice.I am going to try the board method here at the stick house for a trial run. I may try to hold it into the ground with a couple of dog chain ground screws. With all the money I will save I will have an extra tank of fuel for the winter in Texas trip.
You got it. That'll work very good. See you down the road.
Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 01:58 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The bullseye mount is a good unit...However many of the indicated mounting locations are low to the ground or right on the ground. There are many other things that are low to the ground such as, Trucks, Cars, Campers, nearby buildings. You really need to get that dish at least high enough off the ground to shoot over nearby trucks, cars and campers.Have seen too many folks searching for a place to set the dish using bullseye mount or one mounted on a chunk of plywood. I do have both the tripod mount ..and...the chunk of plywood..use one of the two, conditions permitting..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 07:11 AM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Keep a couple of bricks in the basement also. We have found so many places where you can't screw into the ground. Either it is too hard or the gravel is too thick or it is paved. We carry both just in case.
Happy trails...................
Old 11-06-2006, 12:54 PM   #8
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Thanks Rich and Ed.I am putting togther the 2x12 mount with doggy chain ground screws.Will look for bricks or blocks in TX when we finish setting up the 5vr. I am also setting the board up for a simple trailer bumper mount. Today I found a tripod at Menards Building Supply for $20.00. It is the same as the one Radio Shack sells for $32.00. I need to find a mast pipe that fits the dish mounting bracket,so far no luck.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:57 PM   #9
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
You can use PVC for a mast through the tripod to hold the dish. I think it's 1 5/8" diameter, but am not sure.
Lije Baley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 01:45 PM   #10
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
We saw a setup in Flagstaff using PVC pipe. He had several lengths with him. Seemed to work okay. The bracket is somewhat adjustable so you only have to get close, I think.
Happy trails.......................
Old 11-07-2006, 01:11 AM   #11
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
I didn't have much luck with the plywood and bricks system.
Bought a Bullseye mount 3 years ago and love it.
Bob
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 02:38 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have that same Radio shack tripod ,,got it at a yard sale..Use PVC pipe as it is a lot lighter.Also have a tripod with the adjustable legs (C.W) makes it easy to level. The secret words are....a clear view of the southern sky.However you can get it.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 02:12 AM   #13
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
I have the short leg tripod with a single LNB dish and have had to struggle to keep it upright and to get over obstructions for a "clear view of the southern sky's". Beside the fact that I hate to get down on the ground to find a signal. At the Spring rally in Mt Shasta I notice several MOC'ers had long leg tripods and they seemed to work better. I found some schedule 40 PVC that would just fit over the legs (1 1/4" I think but I will check) and made 36" adjustable leg extensions. Now the dish is at eye level, the legs have a much wider foot print and I can level the dish by adjusting the leg length. Very stable but I added angled holes at the ground end to be able to spike it down if needed. Now I have a 3 LNB dish that is easy to setup and much more secure.

I will post some pictures as soon as I can. But, all I did was take the PVC and add slip on PVC couplers to each end of the pipe to make it stronger and give me some thickness to make wing nut clamps (for adjustment) on the top and holes for the spikes on the bottom. The legs come off easy and store in the front compartment. I had to remove the inside ring at the middle of the couplers so I could slip the coupler all the way onto the pipe. For the adjuster I slipped the coupler on the leg. I drilled a small hole through both the coupler and the leg just the size of the 5/16" tightening bolt. I removed the coupler and drilled the hole in the leg larger to hold the nut in the pipe. For the nut I enlarged the hole just smaller than the nut and heated the nut, then forced it into the PVC causing it to melt and make a hex type hole to keep the nut from spinning. Once I had the nut in place I slipped the coupler with PVC pipe glue over the pipe, aligning the nut to the bolt hole.

For the bottom coupler it doesn't need to be aligned so it is a simple matter of gluing it onto the leg flush with the end of the pipe. With the legs attached to the tripod legs I drilled spike holes at a down and inward angle through the coupler/leg (all the way through both sides).

It sounds more difficult than it is.

I painted equal distance lines on the metal tripod legs about 6" up for a starting reference point. Slip the legs on to the line. Lightly tighten the bolt, check the tripod for level, loosen and adjust the leg length to level, snug the leg bolts. Spike the legs to the ground if needed. Ready to aim the dish (at eye level, no stooping or bending).
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 11:35 AM   #14
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
I have had the Bullseye mount for several years and really appreciate the versatility. I have had to use all the mounting options at various time and was glad I had them. I have made adapter that allows me to clamp it to the top of the ladder when that is the only "look" at the satellites. I also keep at least 100' of RG6 to add flexibility.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 04:20 AM   #15
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
I use a tripod, and anchor it with a 25 lb. weight from a barbell. Just secure it to the tripod with an elstic strap. Got the weight at a garage sell for a buck. Works great in the wind. I friend uses an old boat anchor.

bob
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 04:06 PM   #16
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
It was a happy day for me when I got my bullseye mount and threw away that bulky troublesome tripod for the dish. No storage problems, no fussing around to level it and I don't have to carry any rocks, blocks or weights to hold it down. I can drive a stake, use a picnic table, a fence post or right now I'm using my stabilizing tripod up front.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote