Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2018, 03:56 AM   #1
GLENNCALVIN
Established Member

M.O.C. #20051
Water in furnace

I have just experienced a wind and rain storm, and tried to light my furnace,it would go through the proper operation sequence, besides lighting. Discovered water in the furnace. I drained the water through the igniter and dried out the furnace with the wife's hair drier. worked fine afterwards. I'm curious how the water got in there, my conclusion is that it must have entered, through the exhaust pipe.Any ideas on this. Glenn

GLENNCALVIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:12 PM   #2
RLBlack

M.O.C. #22988
I have had the same issue twice. I think it is running in around the furnace door on my 2017 3791RD. They changed the door on newer models.
RLBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:48 AM   #3
walterc2
Established Member

M.O.C. #20874
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLENNCALVIN View Post
I have just experienced a wind and rain storm, and tried to light my furnace,it would go through the proper operation sequence, besides lighting. Discovered water in the furnace. I drained the water through the igniter and dried out the furnace with the wife's hair drier. worked fine afterwards. I'm curious how the water got in there, my conclusion is that it must have entered, through the exhaust pipe.Any ideas on this. Glenn
When you say "Drained water through the igniter", exactly how did you do that?
walterc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:39 AM   #4
RLBlack

M.O.C. #22988
Walterc2 I'm not sure how GLENNCALVIN did his but I had a HVAC guy take my cover off and undo the gas line ,pull out the igniter and it was all rusty and a lot of the screen holes were rusted shut, There was moisture all over the circuit board and it would not let it start. I ordered a new board because he said it was probably shorted out and once I got it and installed it worked. We had to clean all the rust off the ignitor screen too. It rained two days later and I had to do the same thing.Put the old circuit board back in because it had dried out and furnace worked fine.
RLBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:47 AM   #5
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Wear is the water getting in from is what you need to find out! We live in Washington St were it rains all the time and have not had that problem. Water must be getting from some wear.
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:03 AM   #6
GLENNCALVIN
Established Member

M.O.C. #20051
I removed the screws from the igniter plate and used the furnace fan to blow the excess water out of the fire box. after it drained I used the wife's air drier and blew back through the furnace exhaust for about an hour, to dry everything. I then screwed the igniter plate back on and started trying the furnace. It worked ok. The water got in there because my trailer was tilted a little to the right, combined with high winds and heavy rain, this was the perfect condition for what had happened. Cheers Glenn I also put a bead of silicone around the outside plastic cover.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:09 AM   #7
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
I replaced my furnace board, due to water damage. My problem was blowing rain entering through the top of the door/opening (board is located at the top of the opening).
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:39 AM   #8
Rsmarlow82
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22550
Same thing just happened tone Our is a brand new unit First time Best was turned on Pretty sad they have this poor of a design that lets water in
Rsmarlow82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:47 AM   #9
GLENNCALVIN
Established Member

M.O.C. #20051
I think keeping a little list (sailor talk) to the left would help, and also putting a bead of silicone around the top of the plastic cover.