Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2018, 10:43 AM   #1
RoadKill Bill

M.O.C. #20008
Water Collecting between Black Tank and Corrugated Liner

Twice now water has collected between the black tank and the corrugated liner below the tank. I'm not sure how it gets in unless it runs in there somehow during a heavy rain. There does not appear to be a lead in the black tank (had it checked out last time it happened).

When we go to hitch and extend the landing gear the collected water pours out. Since it collects there over a period of time, it also begins to stink. Has anyone else had this issue and what did you do to correct it?

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-04-2018, 12:15 PM   #2
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I had a cracked tank. When we were looking underneath after dropping the coraplast, I noticed the backwash hose connection to the tank was about ready to fall off! I hand tightened it and then fixed the tank when I got home (from Canada). Perhaps that is all that is wrong (if you are lucky).

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:11 PM   #3
RoadKill Bill

M.O.C. #20008
Thanks! Hadn't thought about the backwash connection. Worth checking into that...
Old 10-04-2018, 03:52 PM   #4
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
If it were mine I would pull the coroplast down and fill the tanks with water and look for leaks! I be leaking down the vent pipe on the roof also and collecting on the coroplast.
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 04:58 PM   #5
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
The coroplast can collect water thrown up while driving in rain. Drill a small hole at the lowest point and collect the liquid in a bucket. Examine what comes out and you'll quickly determine if its sewage or grey water. If its clean and all drains out and doesn't refill until you pressurize your water system, then it's a fresh water leak.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:06 PM   #6
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Besides the black tank flush hose, any of the connections behind the convenience center can also leak water into the belly area. You can also have a leak in any of the plumbing from the drains from the shower or bath sink, in addition to the fresh water plumbing to those fixtures.. Another location that can leak into the belly are the connections to the back of the water heater, if it is above where you are finding water.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:11 AM   #7
RoadKill Bill

M.O.C. #20008
Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. I'm going to check the flush connection first since that makes the most sense based on timing of last tank flush/dump and when we observed the water coming out. But other suggestions are still potential issues...
Old 10-05-2018, 10:33 AM   #8
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
To diagnose your issue; Disconnect your city water. Put some water in your fresh water tank. Turn on your water pump to pressurize the system. Open all fixtures, hot & cold. Make sure the water heater is full and all the air is out of the pipes. Once the entire system is under normal operating pressure, The pump should NEVER come on unless water is turned on at a fixture. If the pump does come on while no one is using the water then you have a leak somewhere.

If you are like most people and you have city water where you camp you would not know if your have a leak until it presents its self by leaking to the ground in some form of fashion.

If you determine that your system is leak free (by doing as stated above )than I would suspect that the very front joint of the corroplast covering is not sealed (none are) and water is being driven in when driving in the rain.

Also check for any other areas where rain water could enter from below, like around the spring mounting points Etc.

Like someone mentioned, I also drilled several holes in the low spots to allow any water that does get in to drain out without collecting on top of the corroplase covering. BE CARFULL WHEN DOING THIS AS YOU NO NOT WANT TO DRILL INTO ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE COVERING.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 03:50 PM   #9
Butch & Kathy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18980
Here is what I finally determined is causing water under my basement. Due to the dropped down frame the beams are exposed to rain. The coroplast on one side protruded beyond the edge of the I-beam frame allowing rain water to collect and seep between the frame and coroplast, collecting under the basement. I trimmed the coroplast back and used black caulk between it and the frame. No more water intrusion.
Butch & Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:11 PM   #10
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
have/had the same problem. one time it was the grey water tank. the next time, just lots of rain/road water.

good luck in trying to seal it out.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:12 AM   #11
RoadKill Bill

M.O.C. #20008
Called a mobile tech -- found that the black tank valve seal had been rolled when the valve had been replaced a couple of months ago. The roll was at the top and it only leaked when the tank was very full so there was greater pressure on the seal. Now I have to see if I can get any compensation for the repair from the RV shop where the valve was replaced. Ugh!

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions!
Old 10-14-2018, 05:09 PM   #12
Graham
Established Member

M.O.C. #10287
Like others have mentioned I had the same problem. It was water from the road splashing in. I also drilled a hole in the lowest spot...problem solved.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote