Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2015, 08:02 PM   #1
mmrxboss
Established Member

M.O.C. #1425
Wax or Polish for outside walls

Have a '04 3650RK, glass caps, sheet side panels.

Does anyone have experience restoring a reasonable amount of shine back to these older materials?

Does shooting with clear coat do any good?

BTW, got feed up with the curling/pealing graphics so I am in the process of removing ALL of them. Hope to find a source for a big splash graphic. No more advertising Montana's crappie vinyl.

mmrxboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:40 AM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
we have an 05, and have found if you have an electric buffer with the foam pads, and use either a buffing or polishing compound should work. My buffer has a speed control to help any heat build up. Or you can use an orbital style buffer.Clear coat won't do any good if you first don't do the work of getting it prepped. Agree with the graphics, "junk"
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:25 AM   #3
stungjoe
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14623
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mmrxboss

Hope to find a source for a big splash graphic. No more advertising Montana's crappie vinyl.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MONTANA-Olde...-/271888025931

Not sure about this place but I have his auction bookmarked for when I decide to replace mine. If you look he has a bunch of other auctions for most all of the Montana graphics
stungjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:49 AM   #4
oldcrow
Established Member

M.O.C. #10118
I tried a product this weekend on my fading 2010 Montana. The product is sold by Lowes and other stores. It is called Zep stage 3. It is a commercial floor polish and goes on real nice and made the Montana look like new. If you try this product go online and do a search on the product using it on faded rv's. The big thing is to do a complete cleaning of the rv and the wash with TSP cleaner. It takes about 3 to 5 coats to make it shine like new and it is about $20.00 for a gal. that will do many rv's. I was looking for some way to bring the shine back and tried waxing and that didn't work and was too labor intensive.
Just a thought.
oldcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 05:00 AM   #5
Annaoinga
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15850
Great info "oldcrow"! We just got back from a long trip and my husband wanted to wash and shine up the front of the Monty. I'm not sure what he put on it but he came in and had me run to Lowes to get something to take off what he put on and some wax. He tried 5 times and couldn't get it shiny. I'll get this Zep Stage 3 and hopefully it will work. We had it detailed while at a rally in TN and it sure looked pretty. But going to MD and back it was filthy.... The stuff they used to detail it was supposed to "last" a year - we thought it would make the bugs come off easier for at least a while.... Oh well.

Thanks for sharing! Fingers crossed we have the same luck.
Annaoinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:35 AM   #6
DuneBuggyBuilder
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #15774
I would be reluctant to use an indoor floor wax product on the exterior of my RV, especially a new one. The idea of using of Zep has been around for a while on other forums. Now, with the passing of time, users are seeing yellowing, cracking and peeling.
How to remove ZEP Floor Sealer
DuneBuggyBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 02:40 PM   #7
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
We bought Croftgate products from a dealer at last year's MOC Rally. We won't use anything else. The shine is out of this world and the ease of use is unbelievable.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:16 AM   #8
Happycamperscolorado
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15881
just did mine the other day with Mequier rv and boat wax. i did the front and entry side twice saturday and it shines like new. used an electric buffer to put the wax on. did the back and and other side only once and i can tell the difference. 100 degrees on saturday so the sides done 1 time will have to wait for a cooler day to finish. shines like glass.
Happycamperscolorado is offline   Reply With Quote