Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2012, 08:09 AM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
After market warranty policies do a pretty good job of covering things.They covered 5 leaking holding tanks for example
I am a bit different and it is not only with a Rv. I hold the manufacturers feet to to fire. I demand what they advertise.If keystone has skilled craftsman then I demand skilled work.If they market high quality..I demand high quality. I have done all I will do to make it work,Tighten connectors ,clean up sloppy connections.I will try again today and if it does not work I will call Keytone again and the next move is theirs/

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #22
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I don't know if satellite actually works though the OEM connection or not. In our 3400, the loop that has to be moved to switch it over to satellite or cable is at the rear of the upper cabinet. With all the electronics, etc, in that cabinet, it requires a chair to stand on to reach back there and is very hard on this old back while unscrewing that connection and then reconnecting it.

So I didn't even try. Instead, I bought a covered/weather protected connector box for the outside of the rig. I just cut a hole over the desk, through the exterior wall, right next to the OEM cable connection. I ran the coax through the cable hole in the desk, then drilled holes to run the coax behind the desk drawers and into the lower cabinet of the entertainment center stack. For some of you, that's behind the fireplace. No fireplace here so it's in the back of the cabinet. I then ran that coax up to the upper cabinet and connected to the receiver.

Unfortunately this doesn't get the signal to the front tv but our satellite setup is for a single tv anyhow. We are on the "rv pay as you go" and pay for satellite only for the months when we use it. When we are in a park with good cable tv, we use that instead of paying for the satellite coverage. Or, with our coax setup we can use both satellite and cable, just changing the input on the tv.

I guess, Rich, that's just a long winded way of saying a last ditch alternative is to run a separate connection for the satellite.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:39 PM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
yes Steve that is what we did on our 06 3400. Ran a connector through the opposing slide and into the entertainment center and another up through the floor through the propane compartment and under the chest of drawers. Direct to both sat receivers.

This guy is allegedly wired for satellite and cable. Front and rear Tv and in the side compartment.. By George it is going to work that way. I paid for it and I will have it. Just a stubborn old man
Old 07-30-2012, 02:51 AM   #24
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I had my new Mountaineer down in TX last year and could not get my signal into the receiver. Went through the 6 helpers with a case of beer no help.Called dish and they sent a tech out and the first question he asked was if it was a new rig and did I ever had the sat hooked up. I told him no. He checked my dish alignment it was ok. The tech went into my rv went into the cover where all the wires were and found the problem, it was wired wrong. The tech said this is why he always ask if the rig is new and was the sat ever hooked because some are wired wrong at the factory.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:51 AM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well customer service is no help in why we have no sat signal.talked to a couple of tech service folks and bless their little hearts but this is way above their pay grade. Best they can do is take it back to the dcealer which is no help at all. We have a call into the wizard Darrel Turner at the service center as a last resort. We hate to bother him but if anyone has a answer it will be him.
we can get a perfect sat signal when we run the cable direct to the sat receiver. hook it up to the sat in connector in the convience center and no signal/ we have tore every panel we can get to out to check loose or bad cable connectors next would be to take a axe to the walls.

We are hard headed but we paid for all these fancy sat connections and they are going to work.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:40 AM   #26
sanman

M.O.C. #6356
Had same problem, switched wire from the coach input in the outside connection to bedroom input...worked, seems they crossed the two accidentally . Try it, might work
sanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #27
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
Use an ohm meter. One lead to the center wire the other one to the braded wire or outside of connector. Short out the other end. Keep shorting out wires until you fint the ends of the same wire. When you have continuity label both ends. Do whatever wires you need. Then you'll at least know what wires you're dealing with. Done this many times over the years.

jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You are correct have done that many times...Meanwhile how much will keystone be paying me to trouble shoot their problems.We already have 5/7 hours of pulling panels and checking connectors.These connectors have the braided wire hanging out all over the place. What kind of workmanship is that.
Will be checking what sanman suggested tomorrow.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:15 PM   #29
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
I'll bet if you were a fly on the wall when they built it you wouldn't buy it.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:26 PM   #30
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
have said many times if you saw them build them your probably would not buy one. Meanwhile we have seen them built and this is our 6th Rv and 2nd Montana..
Old 07-31-2012, 05:51 AM   #31
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
sanman..That was the problem..at least one of them..We put the sat to the bedroom sat input and the rear tv worked on sat perfectly. Our skilled craftsman could not get the proper cable to the proper connector.

There is more to the story....The skilled craftsman did a improper install.There was no supervision to check the work. There was no quality check at the end of the line to see that the cable input system worked.That is a excellent example of poor workmanship, lack of supervision and lack of quality control on the assembly line. No the dealer did not check it either and we will have a word with him today on the subject.

We do not have a up to date print on the cabling system but we do know that the sat output in the side compartment also does nor work so there are more problems in the system.No we are not going to pull all the access panels and ring out all the cable to see what goes where and make our own print. I do not work for Keystone.
Will make a appointment at the service center before the fall rally and they will make it work.

I will again call the service center today a relate my concerns...politely.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:23 PM   #32
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
Nice to see the updated photo in signature. Do you know or does anyone know why the slide exterior side walls are black instead of matched to the primary outside color?
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:24 AM   #33
PatnRich
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1250
Sorry to hear of your trials. I like the updated picture, that full body paint really pops!
PatnRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:39 AM   #34
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That area was unpainted in earlier year models(white) most MOC.ers did not like that and said so at the fall rallies. That material is not paint but a vinyl like protector. It was said that the slides going in and out would damage the paint. Note however that the full body paint can not be baked on like a auto paint because it would melt the sidewall. It chips easily.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:10 AM   #35
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
And they said the world would come to an end in Dec 2012, but I am glad to see that richfaa has made it to 2025:-) Love the picture of the new Montana!!
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:20 AM   #36
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I do not know how to get rid of the date.Our date stamp is not on I think that was taken with someones elses camera.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:04 AM   #37
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
Fire5er, that is the correct color of truck for your profession. Very nice.
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:49 AM   #38
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839

This thread has gone as far as it can go.Thank everyone for the input. We asked the service center for a updated print for the rv sat wiring system and they will go to the manufacturer and get one...if there is one. The problem is Keystone's and they will correct it.

The print dated 2010 is reported to be not correct.The inputs in the convenience center on the 2010 print are from the top cable, Br. Lr.On our 2013 BS they are labeled from the top//cable,lr,br and we had to use the BR input to get a sat signal in the LR so either the cable is routed wrong or the label is wrong
They are both orange cables. We have the equipment and knowledge to ring out every cable to see what goes were but we are not going to do that. We do not work for Keystone and we told them that. The going rate for troubleshooting at the dealer is 90.00 per hour. I already have several hours invested for nothing.we paid for a system that....works..and it is going to work...

It is obvious that cable, routed wrong or miss labeled was not checked for proper operation at the factory. There in is the quality problem.
The service center did their best Robyne was very helpful but could not help with what she did not know. If we get a updated print we will poist it on the froum. Meanwhile we will be at the service center Sept 17th..early..Camp keystone Sept 16th.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:38 AM   #39
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Have been advise by the service center that the print posted on this forum here http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...85&whichpage=1 dated 1-10-2010 IS the latset print Keystone has...I am not saying that print is incorrect I am saying my 2013 32402 Big Sky
is NOT wired like that.

For one thing the inputs in the convience center of the 2010 print are NOT what the 2013 says. It is a mystery that the service center will have to figure out.