Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2012, 05:16 AM   #1
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Wineguard Carry Out & Direct TV

We have friends who want to put the Winegaurd Carry Out and use Direct TV in thier RV. We have the carryout and Dish and are very pleased. When we set up if it has been 30 days or so we have to call dish to reset the smart card in the reciever. We can also call them once we get to a location give the zip and recieve the local channels. We pay $5.00 extra a month for the reciever to stay in the RV. We do not have a separate service for the RV. We utilize our service from the stick house. They want to do the same. For all you Direct Carry Out Winegaurd users what is the process for you? Is it possible to use the service from the house with an extra box and do you have to call Direct if any length of time has been passed from last use? Any helpful information would be appreciated that I can pass on. I do not want to tell them wrong infro since I have Dish.

Thanks Bill & Cindy

cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:41 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Although we do not have a carryout, I do not see where the satellite system would have anything to do with what you are proposing. We do have Directv and in the rig we have the Winegard Travler system. Our solution is even cheaper, we carry the receivers from the house with us when we travel. No phone calls have ever been needed, even after winter storage, since the receivers are in use at the house. I am sure that renting an additional receiver would be possible, but we cannot justify an additional $60 a year for a receiver for the rig. Just a rambling thought.....not sure about resetting the receiver though.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:58 AM   #3
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Ditto what Bingo said, Also with Directv you can reset your receiver on-line. When you first purchase the CarryOut it's already setup for Directv
Yes,you can use any receiver from your house in your RV!
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:39 AM   #4
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
Ditto everyone else, although we have a Winnegard 3005 HD permanently mounted antenna and DIRECT TV. I keep one HD receiver in the trailer, and take one from the house for the bedroom and outside TV's. But - first I've heard that you could call DISH and get local channels by giving the zip where you are.

With DIRECT TV, I lose all local channels when I get more than ~500 miles from home - according to DIRECT TV that is an FCC requirement, and you need to apply for some type mobile license to get local channels wherever you are in the US. I plan to call DISH to verify, becuase if true might be worth switching. I'm told that for about $100 I can switch my 3005 from DIRECT to DISH by purchasing some part for the antenna.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:08 AM   #5
vangoes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10367
I know many people including myself that has Direct Tv and have their home areas changed for local tv if they are staying 30 days are more. Just call Direct and give them your zip code. BTW, I have heard on occasion of the service rep with direct being uncooperative but if you just call back and get a different rep. there generally is not a problem.
vangoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:47 AM   #6
CATCRAW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11243
We use Directv in our home as well as in our Montana. We have the slimline mounted on the roof. The "Carryout" will not work with Directv for HD Programming. We have 2 receivers in the RV permanently and put them on vacation hold when stored for the winter. If you do not use your receivers for a period of time then you do have to have the signal resent to the receivers which you can do online or on the phone using their automated system. We just call DTV and say the code shown on the tv and it resends the signal. We only have the account associated with the house and not a separate one for the RV.
CATCRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #7
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hunts800
[I'm told that for about $100 I can switch my 3005 from DIRECT to DISH by purchasing some part for the antenna.
First time I've heard that. There are separated models for each sat provider. Can anyone else verify the ability to change them? I didn't buy one for my trailer because I switch when I fulfill my contract.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:05 AM   #8
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
A carryout will not receive DirecTV HD channels. You need the slimline.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:26 AM   #9
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
Hi,

We have the carryout and use it with Direct TV. Yes, we do not get HD with Direct but I can live with that. We takea receiver out of a room and hook it up in the trailer when we head out. I have never needed to reset or have the signal resent. It always hooks in and by the time I get back in fro setting up, the DW has her Soaps on! We have found this to be a very good system and very trouble free.
sfretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #10
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
We have Direct TV with 2 HD receivers in the stick and 1 standard receiver in the Monty. We pay $5/month for the one in the Monty and park it in the farmshop about 130 ft. behind the stick and use the tv out there for company or background noise when working/loafing in the shop. We have the 18 inch Windgard carryout that cost on-sale after discounts $67 plus tax. We use cell phones to hear the beeps for pointing the carryout and need 80% or better to get a usable signal. I learned from Mazboy at Spring Rally that you can get a $15 signal meter to replace cell phones. After a trip with the Monty when we return home we must call DTV to reactivate service in the stick. We have called and changed our service-address many times(not billing address) and get the local channels as long as locals are coming through the 101 sat., otherwise no locals. We keep the Monty bedroom tv on the digital over-the-air coax and use it when signals are available. We recently found the locals for Western WY and MT don't come down from the 101 sat. From DTV you can get your hometown channels all over the USA if you are willing to pay $15 per month and sign an form that you need this hometown info. Maybe more information than wanted, just my thoughts.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #11
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
hunts800,
I did a posting a few years back about converting a Slimline SK-3005 to a dish network Slimline. I can not locate that posting when I do my search now. I think I listed all the necessary information.

At that time you could do a conversion from DTV to Dish. I think it was pretty much the reflector and the LNBs and arm. Dish has so many flavors of dishes out and receivers now and I can not address all of them.

Here is a site you can go to that I found with a quick search that addresses the issue of conversion. Conversion Kit

Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #12
2Wanderers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9998
Nice thing about the carryout is you can receive two different channels so you can watch one and record on the other (or both at the same time) with a SD receiver-recorder. We installed ours on the ladder mount and everything has worked fine for 6 months now. Had to get behind the wall in the basement to run a second coaxial line through the convience center, but now it is done and looks good.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:45 AM   #13
trlrboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7697
We have the Carryout and Dish Network. Perfect picture. I would highly recommend the combo.
trlrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:22 AM   #14
docport
Established Member

M.O.C. #10181
We use a roof mount stand from radio shack and and mount the dish on it. Get good reception. Tried the slimeline for HD but a real pain in the butt tuning it in. Now I just use the old SD receiver and in less than a minute I have a signal. also I spend 2 months in Key West,Fl and there is NO TV signal, but I call directv and change home address and get network TV out of Miami as well as all of my subscribed channels. As mentioned above, If you talk with a balky operator and directv, hang up and call again. That means you just talked to someone who is lazy and didn't want to put themselves out helping you. I use the park office address and have had no problems.
docport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:02 AM   #15
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by docport

We use a roof mount stand from radio shack and and mount the dish on it. Get good reception. Tried the slimeline for HD but a real pain in the butt tuning it in. Now I just use the old SD receiver and in less than a minute I have a signal. also I spend 2 months in Key West,Fl and there is NO TV signal, but I call directv and change home address and get network TV out of Miami as well as all of my subscribed channels. As mentioned above, If you talk with a balky operator and directv, hang up and call again. That means you just talked to someone who is lazy and didn't want to put themselves out helping you. I use the park office address and have had no problems.
Or your talking to someone in another country and they don't understand what you talking about,because it's not in their instruction book!
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
"The "Carryout" will not work with Directv for HD Programming.'.... this is why we do not have a portable dish.We use the slimline3 and a tripod.
It is not a problem to have your local channels changed over..within reason.If you try to do it every month or on a regular basis they may not do it. We do it twice a year going back and forth to Florida with no problem
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #17
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
We also use a slimline and a tripod. Jim can get the signal in about 10 minutes. If you are parked where there are trees your roof mount might not get a signal.

As Rich said, with the carryout you won't get the HD Channels. We have only had DirecTv but other campers have told us, that it is more difficult to get a signal with Dish Tv.

While traveling, we have not had a problem getting the locals.
mainer is offline   Reply With Quote