Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2009, 08:07 PM   #1
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Slide selector hydraulic manifold issue......

Well, we were finished boon-docking, on our way home from the Spring Rally. After I brought in the bedroom slide with the remote, (I do this one by itself, while the cats are locked out of the bedroom, then I lock them in the bedroom while I do the other three slides because we don't want squashed kitties), I went outside to open the other slide valves and found hydraulic oil running down the side of my Monty! Damn!!! Took the knob off of the offending valve and found that the valve nut was loose on the manifold, so I tightened the nut and continued to bring in the rest of the slides, ...still leaking!! Probably lost over a full pint of oil. Disassembled the panel to find an o-ring pinched on the manifold/valve connection by my re-tightening of the nut, so, evidently it was loose enough for the o-ring to be hydraulically extruded out of position when it started leaking to begin with.

Lucky for me, I had loaded up my o-ring kit as part of my take along tool box. I am pretty sure that the slides would not have stayed closed for the 100 mile trip home if I had not had the o-ring kit with me.

Why on earth can't they tighten any of the nuts and bolts when they build these things?!?!?! If I was not mechanically inclined and had o-rings with me, it would have been a nervous trip through some winding mountain roads with a possibility of slides coming partially open, or, I guess we could have called a mobile mechanic out to the middle of nowhere and waited around for hours for him to show up and charge a bundle and a half for fixing something that shouldn't have gone wrong in the first place.

Note to self: Put a bottle or two of ATF in tool box!

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:51 AM   #2
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Quite interesting as I was putting the slides in and out with the tire change over last night; and as I was opening /closing these valves and using the remote I thought: I wonder how much quality and inspection was inputed to the instalation of this panel with fittings? Even after looking at those hydraulic lines and fittings that are to support 3000 psi; I really question reliability after the many years of working on Agriculture and Industrial Hyraulics. Standards for RVs again are almost none existent! Working on some Ag hydraulics the other night I got hit in the shoulder with a fluid leak so at that pressure it doesn't take long to lose your reserve of oil nad even have a mishap pending where your standing.
Thanks very much; as I will take my O-ring kit and I do have a spare Liter of ATF. The Club comes through again with Honors!! Ellis
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:10 AM   #3
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818

Yeah, I don't normally carry ATF with me, because my truck has a manual transmission.

Another thing which I forgot to ask about. Will any air that has been introduced into the system be purged by simply extending and retracting the slides a number of times, or am I going to have mushy hydraulics until the air is removed by using some secret bleed screw(s), located in an undocumented, unknown location(s)?

Also, you just reminded me of another griping point: I especially like how all of the hydraulic lines run from and to the manifold through a "naked" hole in the metal wall of the propane tank enclosure! Couldn't they grommet the hole to protect the hydraulic hoses!?!?!? Jeez!

Old 06-18-2009, 08:03 AM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Cycle the slides a couple of times full travel ... this type of system is self bleeding.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:27 AM   #5
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Very well, thanks!