Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2008, 02:42 AM   #1
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Travelin' Papers

Are there papers required for interstate travel for a pet dog? I know kennnels require and vets supply proof of health/vaccinations if you are going to board a dog, but what about just border crossings and temporary stays in the RV?

VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 03:35 AM   #2
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Required, No. Not if your staying in the lower 48. Is it good idea? Absolutely. Our software prints out a certificate with all the yearly vaccinations and dates we give this to our clients. Also you could carry a photo id which may or may not be printed on the certificates. This way the pet is identified along with the papers. Like they say a picture is worth a 1000 words.
Hope this helps
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:24 PM   #3
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
Our vet told us the same thing about our Bear(kitty). We have him checked each fall just before we head south. I guess he has better documentation than we do!
SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:18 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I will check with my Veterinarian friend. We are going fishing tomorrow. When I was in the military and we travelled with pets, a health certificate was needed. It is nothing more than the vet checking over the pet and say he/she is in good health. I'll check to see if that is still a requirement.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:40 PM   #5
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Thanks all! Chuck, thanks for the info and the idea of a picture. We'll have a new tag made with a cell number on it also. I was even thinking maybe a luggage ID tag so we could put the RV park we are staying at, too.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:13 AM   #6
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
When we travel between Canada and the U.S. we carry the rabies papers and an "International Certificate" which you can get from your Vet.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:52 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have a health certificate for the %^&$$#((* bird from our vet at home. Laws differ between states and it does not hurt to have one.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:54 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Vet friend said that the only thing you need is your vaccination certificates. If you plan on traveling to Alaska, you will need the International Health certificate to pass through Canada.

I'm posting because I said I would check. After re-reading the thread, it appears Chuck is in the Vet business.

Thanks Chuck.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:38 PM   #9
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Yep, with all of its headaches. Most of the time we like the business sometimes it can be ruff.
(sorry bad humor) head cold is givin me trouble this weekend.
I'll help wear I can but realize my partner / wife (Pam) is the Doc. I just came along for the ride. My job is to manage the practice. After 20 plus years I've seen most things.
Glad I could help.
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:45 AM   #10
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Unless the law has changed recently, you should have your rabies certificate in the state of Texas.

I owned a kennel and used to advise my clients to throw a copy of it in your glove box, just in case you were stopped by an officer.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote