Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2007, 07:00 PM   #1
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
How Clean?

Picked up our new 3400RL on Wednesday and of course DH has to wash and apply 303...gotta be shinyHow clean should we expect the roof to get. It seems that there are dirt stains that will not come off with RV cleaner. Is this normal. We want to do everything to prevent black streaks, plus we want a nice looking unit. Can we get a white/white roof if we use rubber roof cleaner? Teresa

dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:56 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Teresa,

I use Thetfords rubber roof cleaner and conditioner. This is the only product I have found that will bring back that white look. It does not make it look brand new, but sure close.

PS~ I try to wash the roof at least once every two months, if not once a month. I found staying after it really helps keep it looking white.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 03:23 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We do very little to the roof. Dawn or a similar cleaner is what is recommended by the roof manufacturer and we try to clean it once or twice a year. We are not sure of why we need a white roof.We use a liquid car wash and have never hand waxed the camper.Fortunatly we are not parked in our driveway all that much so this is a working camper. We are on the road a lot with few opportunities to keep it "show room clean. Right now the truck is dirty and covered with 1100 miles of bugs and dirt as is the camper. They both look like they been drug across the country and they have.We pay a lot of attention to truck and camper maint. In our case they need to be reliable and dependable..clean may look better but does not make them run better. Hopefully we will get somewhere were we can hose it down. We are told there is a big truck/RV wash over near Rapid City, SD.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 03:35 AM   #4
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
Yeh...Rich I understand the working part, once we go full-time in November we will be in the same situation, looking for a place big enough to wash the rig. That is why we want to get it protected now so we can possibly prevent major ick later and just do semi yearly maintanence.
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 10:00 AM   #5
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Teresa, as I have said several times in earlier posts, I use the same product as Montana Sky has mentioned above, but I get up on the roof only three or four times a year. We have never had a single black streak (which primarily comes from the product of roof oxidation being washed down the sides). We have had our Montana for just over five years and have traveled over 50,000 miles.

But, I must confess, we are not full-timers and therefore are able to keep our RV parked under cover when here at home, and have the opportunity to clean it conveniently. I cannot compare our experience directly to those who are on the road constantly, or almost so.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote