Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Campsite
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2007, 01:27 AM   #1
beancounter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6893
Pinbox Tripod Jack???

As I work on my list of "must haves" to go with our forthcoming 342PHT, I see many of you using those tripod jacks under the pin box either for support or stabilization. Do I need one of these?

Being a complete novice to fifth-wheels, please elaborate on the purpose and usefulness of these.

Thanks.

beancounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:36 AM   #2
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
To be honest, we wouldn't be without it. However, we are stationary for six months at a time. The tripod along with the wheel chocks give additional stability to the inside of our Monty.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:43 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by beancounter

As I work on my list of "must haves" to go with our forthcoming 342PHT, I see many of you using those tripod jacks under the pin box either for support or stabilization. Do I need one of these?

Being a complete novice to fifth-wheels, please elaborate on the purpose and usefulness of these.
Thanks.
I now use the BI-pod which I feel gave me the same results and was cheaper and lighter to haul around.

The following link is to my method of stabilization using the Tripod. The Bipod has now taken the Tripods place with the same results.
http://www.geocities.com/montanaowners/stabilizing.html
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:53 AM   #4
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
I was going to buy a tripod stabilizer, but after looking at the JT's Stabilizer, I felt they would be better. We have not been camping since I installed them, but tried everything out in the driveway at home. The JT's really made a difference and the Monty was very stable. The JT's cost about twice as much as a tripod stabilizer, but I feel that they are well worth the difference and would highly recommend them.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:14 AM   #5
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
We use a bi-pod. Less space taken when extended, lighter, slightly less storage space. Bi or tri, they eliminate side-to-side "sway" due mainly to winds. Also contribute greatly to "up-down" stability due to people moving around in the RV.

Bi-pod takes care of left-right sway, locking type chocks between the tires take care of fore-aft movement and some up-down movement, front struts, aft supports and bi-pod take care of up-down movement.

Our "normal" set-up, even for one or two evenings: level laterally with blocks, etc, chock the wheels, extend the front struts, disconnect the tow vehicle (TV), level the rig, extend the aft supports ("snug"), install the bi-pod ("snug"), install "locking" type chocks between the tires. Some folks like to put in the "locking" type chocks before extending the aft levelers or the bi-pod. either way seems fine.

One little "tip"....we find that extending the slides changes the lateral leveling slightly...so we "fudge" a bit when first deciding where "level" is, side to side.

Best,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:59 PM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Had one, got rid of it. It wasn't worth carrying around and setting up every other day as we traveled. Will also get JT's Stabilizers installed.

Orv

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:10 PM   #7
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
I have the tripod for the kingpin. By itself, it helps some but not enough.

I just got some locking Roto-Chocks for the wheels and JT Stabilizers for the front landing gear and rear stabilizers. I've started to install them myself, but have been delayed by weather(cold & snow) and I had to get a cross-member(a piece of angle iron - 3"x2"x71.5") for the rear stabilizers. Waiting for a neighbor to powdercoat is for me and then I can complete the installation.

I'll let you know how it is when I finish.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 04:43 AM   #8
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I've got one in storage. You arte welcome to it if you are in AZ. Pretty much worthless with the Montana we had and completely worthless for the heavier Cambridge.
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:15 AM   #9
beancounter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6893
Thanks for the feedback so far!

beancounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:00 AM   #10
Merv
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1001
I also have one of the Tripods.
The only time we use it is if we are going to be set up in one place for more than a weekend. It cuts down greatly on the movement, but is kind of a pain mess with if moving from place to place every day or two.
Also they are fairly heavy to haul around if you have weight restrictions. Fortunatly this is not an issue for us. I just have a spot on the truck where I keep it stored.
Merv
Merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 07:45 AM   #11
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
For week or more stays it is great, just wish the front of our Monty was high enough to use it now. The lot we are in is regressed into the ground and the front isn't high enough to use it.
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:08 AM   #12
mobrownies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #886
Do you need one? The answer is no.

I suggest you use your trailer for a while and see if the movement of the trailer bothers you. We went for a year without a tripod and got tired of the trailer movement so we bought a tripod on sale. It helps some, but does not eliminate it. I'm sure that everyone has a diferent tolerance for how much movement they can stand, so the opinions will vary.
mobrownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 03:49 AM   #13
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
CW has a newer version of the tripod, it's aluminum, weighs 18 lbs and can support 800 lbs. We use it whenever staying more than one night.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 04:57 AM   #14
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We just bought the aluminum model referred to by CAT320, it is (or maybe was) on sale at CW. I resisted buying one before because of the weight, but with our new truck and the aluminum construction of this one, I relented. I can say that it does make a noticeable difference, not 100%, but together wheel locks, it will take you a long way towards 100%.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:46 PM   #15
keham
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3778
I love my JT supports best money I have spent. I can go in and out now and not wake wife up. But there are times I still use the bi-pod support for that little movement in the overhang.

PS wife sleeps very lightly.
keham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:20 PM   #16
tollmann
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1824
I would get the chocks for between the wheels first. Thendecide if YOU feel that you need the tripod. We only use our tripod when we set up for the summer in Wi Dells.
tollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:44 AM   #17
scrowba
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2570
We always use ours. It made a big difference in our rig due to the livingroom up front. In regards to having to put up and take down...just became part of the camping ritual.
scrowba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:36 PM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is probably a good idea to try it without the between the wheel chocks and the tripod stand..who knows...Helen made me buy both because I would rock the camper when I came through the door. With both It is stable. There is a noticable difference with vs without.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 04:20 PM   #19
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I use a king pin tripod and the stability it provides is very noticeable. Like the others have said; try it without and go from there.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 04:27 PM   #20
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
I personally wouldn't be without our tripod.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote