Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2005, 01:43 PM   #1
jpf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3393
Fredericksburg RV Park, Tx enrt to the RGV...

Nice park here. Arrived here around 3:30 pm, long day for us, 260 miles from Fort Stockton, Tx. Usually try to do around 150 miles. Not much out there from El Paso east to here.
"El Stinko" Coachlight Inn & RV Park in Las Cruces Nm, but close to Old Towne Mesillo, interesting place in history.
KOA in Van Horn, Tx ($25.20) just off the Fwy, OK overnite, great chicken fried steak at their cafe.
KOA at Fort Stockton, ($20.70) just off the Fwy., OK overnite, nothing around.
Planning on 3-5 nites here, to explore the German history and influence as well as the food.

CAUTION: Another friendly 5er driver hailed us down to alert us our spare tire was "flopping" a bit, we both pulled over and checked it out. Apparently because of the bumpy roads the rachet (?) had wound itself down. Anyway, three turns and we were back on our way. Thanks again to those watching our six.

Working our way toward Missin, Tx.

jerry & karen

jpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 02:36 PM   #2
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Jerry & Karen,
Great park and a great little town, spent a month their last winter. If you can, go see the Pacific War Museum, Admiral Nimitz was born in a little house on main st.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 03:20 PM   #3
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Anything and everything about Texas History on one website from the Univerisity of Texas with it's own search. An excellent link.....

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/index.html

WELCOME TO TEXAS!!!!!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 11:09 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We also liked that park although one of our members had a bad experience there sometime after we were gone. The Nimitz museum, LBJ Ranch, LBJ birthplace in nearby Johnson City, a scenic drive NE of town aways, and several other great things to see there. If you like a good burger, try Porky's. It's in what used to be a house on the east side of the main drag, north side of town. If looking for ideas for things to see and do in the area, see the link at the bottom of my signature. The relevant postcards are 2/9/04 through 2/18/04. We hope to go back to that area someday.

See you in Mission if you're still there in January.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 11:42 AM   #5
jpf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3393
Thanks Steve, I'll check out Porky's,I do like a good burger, Karen is the German food aficianado.
When we leave here our tentative plan is to head through Johnson City, and stop over in New Braunfels, and then SE toward Victoria, trying to avoid as much of San Antonio traffic as possible. After that we'll head south and back west toward Mission.
We're at BPV for Dec, Jan, & Feb.

jerry
jpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 12:33 PM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Yep, Steve, that was us, as some of you remember, I went into a tirade when the owners minor aged son was driving a SUV through the park at a pretty good clip. Said owner thought nothing of it, said the boy child did it all the time. There were a number of very young children riding bikes out there and I was extremely upset. I was wondering if I should ask if she still allows that child to drive. Seeing that many of you had great experiences there, I was having a hard time deciding what to do or say, hate to be the downer person.

The park was lovely, clean as could be, close to downtown. We really enjoyed our stay there till that unfortunate moment in time. I did write her a long letter when we returned to Tipton, and you guessed it, I never heard ONE word from her.

We want to return to Fredericksburg, but, will have to find another park. Her responses and lack of responses to me mandate we go elsewhere.

Jerry and Karen, we hope you have a GREAT time there, Fredericksburg is a great place. See if you can find the fudge shop in town, lordy, me, the best fudge we have ever had, and it spoiled us for any other for the rest of our lives. Not a fat calory to be found in it tho! HAHAHA

It is really gorgeous in the spring when the bluebonnets are blooming! FAB!!! And, if you are lucky the Fort Worth Newspaper will interview you too! HA HA

Enjoy the area!

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote