Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Who, Where & When?
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2005, 04:00 PM   #1
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
We're on the road again:

We spent a few days at Glendale. UT to see the Zion and Bryce Canyon parks and then went to Flaming Gorge. Then to Craig, CO for a night.
Went over the Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park today (6/19). We are now parked at KOA, south, Colorado Springs,CO for 3 nights to see the Royal Gorge and Garden Of The Gods. We'll probably leave here and kinda head for the house. Been gone 5 weeks and 5500 miles. I think we'll probably run I-70 across to St. Louis, Effingham, and up I-57 to the house.

Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 05:26 PM   #2
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
Did you pull your Monty over Trailridge Road? How was it to tow over? I'm not sure I(Jan)am that brave, as I don't particulary like going over it with a regular vehicle. we will be in Winter Park for a week the first week of August, but not in our 5er.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 01:01 AM   #3
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Jan: Yes, we pulled the Monty over the Trail Ridge Road. The only really bad part was when someone would see some wildlife alongside the road and stopped partially in the road to look. The rest was easy.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:15 AM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Hi Bob and Jeanne
Sounds like you guys are really having a good trip. We love that area. We did that trip several years ago. Byrce and Zion and then drove across Utah to the four corners. It is one of our "have to go back there" places. We did it when we were both still working and had a limited amount of time. We hiked down into Byrce (this was before my accident when I could still walk good) but I was not in the best of shape and Ed was worried I couldn't do it. He walks 2 or 3 miles a day so he is in good shape. When we were at the bottom he was so worried I couldn't make it up but I made it really fast. When we got to the top he asked me how I did that. We had eaten lunch right before we went and I had drank a big coke and I needed the facilites bad! Later talking to the guide there we found out there was a restroom at the bottom of the canyon that I could have used!!!
Happy Birthday tomorrow Bob.
Happy trails - see you next May
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 02:14 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
If I recall, the peak altitude on Trailridge Road is almost identical to that on I-70 at the west end of the Eisenhower Tunnel. I've been over Trailridge but not with the Montana. I have towed it over I-70 to the 11,060 ft mark at the tunnel, though, and it's really not that bad. Jan and Paul, yours would do just fine.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:54 PM   #6
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Steve; Trailridge Rd. peaks at 12183; Eisenhower Tunnel is 11158. I talked to a man in Craig about going the Trailridge. He said he'd like to but he had a hard time making the Eisenhower with his unit. It was a late model Ford V-10. I'm not sure what his trailer was. I know I ran the Tunnel numerous times when I was driving the big trucks and never gave it much thought. We had Dual Range Series 6o Detroit diesels in them set for 300/350 horsepower. 1400 ft. lbs. of torque at 1350 RPM.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:37 AM   #7
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
I wouldn't be worried about the vehicle and making it, only the curves and narrower road. But I guess I need to think "if that big class A and tour bus can go,so can I."
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 04:52 AM   #8
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
Happy Birthday, Bob! It is also our daughter's 30th birthday today.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 12:48 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Happy birthday, Bob, and also toolmanroy's daughter!

OK on the numbers. My mistake. That's pretty far up. We towed the Montana over the tunnel with a '99 Ford V10. It did a nice job but was down to 37 mph (going west to east up that very long grade) and I was getting passed by the diesels. 1400 lb-ft of torque! That would make an easy time of it. I love the Colorado area and really want to spend some more time there. We were on TrailRidge during the Elk rutting season and got some great pictures, close up. Gorgeous area there in the Rocky Mountains National Park.

I forgot the peak on trailridge was so high. At that point there is a pullover with a walking trail (1 mile one way, I think) to a higher point with absolutely fabulous views. I hiked that in October, 2003, and was covered with ice and sleet by the time I got back. But what a view!

You folks are having a great trip and seeing some gorgeous country. But 5500 miles in 5 weeks makes me just plain tired!

Jan and Paul, the trailridge is good road, not narrow and the curves are not bad. You'd do just fine.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 06:06 PM   #10
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Happy Birthday Bob, hope you had a great one.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote