Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2004, 02:13 PM   #1
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Stone Mountain, Georgia

Does any body have information on a campground in the Stone Mountain area in Georgia. Wanda was there when she was a kid mind you she is still 29...
Rick.

trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 01:04 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
We stayed at the Stone Mountain Family Campground

It is a beautiful campground within the Stone Mountain Park but some of the campsites really leave a lot to be desired.
Click here for my photos on the park Scroll to the bottom of the page for a view of our site.

Don't get me wrong they have many nice sites just not the one I was in. Almost like camping on the edge of a cliff. Lots of fun backing into that one. But the site had a great view of the lake and the mountain itself so that kinda made it all better.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 01:30 AM   #3
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Hi neighbor (Trukdoc)! We have stayed many times in the campground at Stone Mountain over the years. The first time we were camping in a tent, but the last several times we have been in one of our our fifth wheels. No doubt we will be going there in the future. Glenn is right about some of the sites. Many of them are VERY unlevel and require creative engineering with leveling blocks (some side to side, others forward to aft -- some both). But it remains our favorite place to stay when visiting Atlanta. I recommend it highly, but just be prepared to spend some time in setup, then forget that and enjoy!
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 03:42 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Actually, Glen, I kind of like your site although I wouldn't want to stumble around there in the dark!

Is that a new website? Very nicely done. I enjoyed looking through your pictures, especially those where we also have been.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 04:21 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Actually, Glen, I kind of like your site although I wouldn't want to stumble around there in the dark!

Is that a new website? Very nicely done. I enjoyed looking through your pictures, especially those where we also have been.
Stumbling in the dark could have been a problem. My biggest problem with the site was backing in. You didn't want to be too far left or right and you prayed your brakes didn't pick this moment to fail. Other than that we liked the site mainly for the view and the quiet. There were very few other rigs in the immediate area.
As padredw said [i]"Many of them are VERY unlevel and require creative engineering with leveling blocks (some side to side, others forward to aft -- some both).[/b] That was so true with the rig directly across the road. He was in a pullthru on the side of the hill. He had the left side tires sitting on top of 6 2X6s and a stack of 6 or 7 1 1/2" leveling blocks under his left front jack and another under the rear stabilizer. I wish now I had taken that picture.

No the site is not at all new. In fact I am way behind in the updating department. Haven't added much at all since last June. Really got to get back to it.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:20 AM   #6
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
I plan on being there Dec 27 - 30 for a little down time. I love the place and didnt realize the campground was open year round until I called. We plan on visiting Helen Ga and taking a ride up to Franklin NC. Stone Mt has an event going on through the end of Dec called Southern Christmas. I understand it is fantastic and one of the reasons we are headed that way. We are hoping it is cold so we can test our artic package. I will let everyone know how it was when we get back.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 09:47 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Here's one for you, Glenn. Despite how it looks, this site was offlevel side to side by several inches as well as the more obvious fore-aft. At the point of these pictures we were hitched up and preparing to leave. You maybe can see I had to put blocks under a truck wheel on the one side to even get hitched up.

Old 12-13-2004, 11:56 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
WOW now that's a site I don't wanna be in. The right rear corner of the tailgate is a tad too close to the trailer for my liking. I'm guessing you needed 4 wheel drive to get hooked up.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:32 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Correct on needing 4wd to get it up on the blocks and up the hill. You can't tell it in this picture but it was a bit muddy, too. I used 4wd low. And you're right about it being a bit too close. I didn't realize how close until after I had it backed up and hitched. When level I have seven inches clearance back there.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:50 PM   #10
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
Knew you were good Steve but that's one heck of a hitch-up! Well done - glad it wasn't me
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 11:57 PM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
OK, Now tell us the name of the cg just where that cg is located. Just incase I ever get there I want to be able to tell them which site I don't want.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:07 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The campground is in Greeley Hill, CA. I don't remember the name but Vicki has it written down. She's asleep so I'll defer to her for that info. It's the only site with instant phone! It was very tough to get into. It's a pull through but there's a drop coming into it and you have to enter it at an angle. Almost scraped the rear bottom of the Montana getting in there. I ended up backing out, by the way.

Hitching up in this site probably scared me more than any other site. I was really nervous about this. Thought I'd be smart and first back under the pin while it was way up in the air, get it lined up, set boards next to the wheel on the low side, pull forward, move the blocks into the wheel path, back up on the blocks and presto I'd be hitched up. Wrong! That might work for raising an inch or two but any more than that --- imagine that the wheel on the high side is the center of a circle. The wheel on the low side is on the arc of the circle. When the low wheel goes up but the high one doesn't, well nothing in the truck goes straight up. So now the hitch and pin were no longer aligned. Not even close. So I had to pull back out, move the blocks and try again, guessing at how far to go, then backing up and stopping just short of the pin so I could see if it was aligned. Then try again and again and again. I swore to Vicki we will never again accept a site like this one. However, it was the only option for email at the time since they had no other connection method and we didn't yet have the cord to connect with the cell phone and we were there for two weeks. Beautiful area, by the way, and their other sites are much more level. And they give Passport America discount for as long as you want to stay. It was either $12.50/night or $12.75/night for the whole two weeks.