Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2013, 04:20 AM   #1
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Carryout 1518 Stopped finding Satellites

My carryout stopped finding satellites last night. I've had it for 3 years and it's always worked fine. I've changed it from time to time from eastern arc to western arc as needed due to obstructions or what ever so I'm familiar with how to operate it and check switches etc.

I lost reception and thought it was the storm here in AZ.. (Did you get washed away Dick? - The radar showed Superior got dumped on)

But when the antenna started to search - it just kept looking till it quit.

On night in Q I heard it running during the middle of the night and went out and unpluged it thinking it had gone Belly up. Next morning i plugged it back in and it searched and found them. This morning I did the same but no luck.

I've got it on the 119 satellite and on dish with a VIP 211k.

Anybody have some specific trouble shooting steps that they might suggest?

Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:50 AM   #2
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
On a couple occasions ours has done the same thing. A clever mechanic friend of ours suggested we take the cover off and watch what it was doing during a search. We discovered that this unit needs a clear view up wards as well as to the south and if it can't look straight up it seems to look around for awhile and then get locked in that looking up position on occasion. I would remove all the screws and lift off the plastic dome. When you do this look and see if the horn is pointing in the straight up position, if so just give it a pull down so to speak to unlock it from it's current position, re-assemble and plug it in. Hope this works for you.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #3
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Thanks for the suggestion and I'll keep it in mind for future reference but I discovered the problem. It was a bad center conductor on the coax.

The center conductor had snapped somehow and just gave up yesterday. when I pulled out the coax to pack up and move I noticed that there was no center conductor.

Now at our new camp with a new connector and we're back in business.
Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
When my carry out can't find a satellite it always stops with the dish straight up. I can set it slightly under the trailer back end when my camper is pointed due east when it is in my camper shed and it will find the satellites.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote