Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Satellite and Cable

We're at a park that has cable. Do I need a diplexer in the convenience compartment to merge directv and cable? Any other things I would need to do?

Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:34 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I would have to go out to the RV to verify, but I think the DirecTV box has a RF connector for cable (it may be labeled Antenna?) on the back near "Sat In" and "TV Out". If the DirecTV box is OFF, any signal on the Antenna port is passed on to the TV through the TV output connector. You could move the input cable over to the Antenna port and have cable (but no DirecTV). Or you can leave it where it is and have DirecTV and no cable. What I did was run another coax specifically for cable input to the Antenna port. I have two RF connectors on the exterior of the RV - one for DirecTV and the other for cable. That way I don't have to move wires. You could run a cable through the slide (or window) connecting the park cable to the antenna port and retain the outside connection for satellite input. Simple (they make a flat cable just for this purpose), retains DirecTV capability, and gives you cable without moving wires.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:56 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I have an '07 model and I have Dish, so this may or may not help.
I only had a single cable connection. So I added a second.
The new one I connected to the Dish box. The Dish box HDMI outlet I connected to the living room TV. The Dish box antenna outlet, I connected to a diplexer.
The existing cable input I connected to the other side of the diplexer.
The output of the diplexer goes to the bedroom TV (actually the original cable to the amplifier switch box).
With this arrangement, when I set up the satellite dish the sat box will send signals to the living room TV via the HDMI cable and to the bedroom TV via the antenna output. The living room TV I then channel scan via the HDMI input.
If the park has cable and I do no want to hook up the dish, I can connect the park cable to the old cable connetion and use it as before the modification, that is channel scan the TV using the cable input.
Since all original wiring is intact, I can still use the antenna if local signals are available.
Here is a modified '04 vintage wiring diagram. A little fuzzy.
sat wiring diagram
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:12 PM   #4
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
All depends on your setup. I connect my DirecTV Rcvr to the TV via the HDMI port, leaving the Ant port avail for the park's cable. Just have to switch the TVs inputs via the remote to switch between Sat and Cable or Ant if not cable. If you don't have the HDMI you may be able to connect the Sat Rcvr via Component, S-Video, or Composit outputs, still leaving the Ant port for Cable.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:44 AM   #5
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
My question deals with the input to the trailer in the convenience center. If I use a diplexer, will it combine the cable and satellite onto 1 cable? Then I should be able to just turn the sat off to watch cable?
Old 08-16-2011, 02:23 AM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rames14

My question deals with the input to the trailer in the convenience center. If I use a diplexer, will it combine the cable and satellite onto 1 cable? Then I should be able to just turn the sat off to watch cable?
Ron, I would not combine the two. Your satellite receiver sends a voltage down the coax to the satellite dish to power up the pre-amplifier in the feed horn. Your cable TV service will not like that voltage.

Coming into the trailer they are two different types of signals and will interfere with each other.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:44 PM   #7
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Not sure on the term (diplex) but I'm wired like this to allow alternate use of RV cable connector.

Long ago I purchased Radio shack splitter which allow a dc feed to dish but alternately a cable input...see image below.

noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:18 PM   #8
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Thanks, might tackle this weekend. Between selling house, building house, building staff, new job, moving to townhome, living in trailer, finding campground to stow Big Sky, etc - we have been able to get by with antenna and satellite.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:03 AM   #9
Cbay

M.O.C. #11207
Talk about finding the right info! After a week of agonizing over how to get sat tv in our older rig; hours of internet research and talking with reps from Dish and Direct, we find just what we are looking for right here! Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU, BT_TX and noneck for uploading diagrams! Now comes the fun....studying and figuring out what was already installed by the previous owners!
Cbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:23 AM   #10
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
I used a 5-way video switch I bought at CW. All inputs signals--2 from Dish satellite, 1 Cable, 1 Antenna and 1 DVD player all plug into the 5-Way. The 2 outputs goes to each television. I just push a button to select the signal source for either television. All work independently. Yes, I have a dual satellite receiver so each television can tune different channels off the satellite depending on what the viewer wants--mainly my WIFE! No cable swapping. I did keep notes to refer to how I did everything. Also I used original cabling in the RV and added a 2 connections for the satellite (DISH) to connect to the 5-way switch. Also the antenna amp stays ON always--no issues.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:31 PM   #11
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Your welcome and should you "improve upon" please share so we can learn alternatives...
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:51 PM   #12
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Seems like a lot to go thru and a bunch of money. I have Dish with a dual antenna so the air antenna runs thru the reciever, and the satellite antenna comes in the side and then goes back to the double wall outlet in with all the TV stuff. If I go to a park with cable I just disconnect the 2 cables from the receiver and I have a short 1 foot long coax which has push on connectors for the jumper cable like what came from the factory. I have the 2 cables labeled coming from the receiver so to reconnect is easy. So basically I just disconnet 2 cables and put the jumper cable in their place. I get separate viewing on each TV and get over the air by turning on the power antenna and tuning the TV's.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote