Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2009, 03:38 AM   #1
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
Shackle question

A quick question for those who have done suspension work?
Last week I got an e-mail from Dexter that they were having an inventory reduction sale and was able to pick up the E-Z Flex kit with wet bolts delivered to the door for a bit under $200.00.
Now I'm ready to start the job of replacing the suspension stuff on the Montana.
How did you guys jack the trailer? I have 2 twelve ton bottle jacks that should give plenty of lift. Is it better to put the 2 jacks under the axles for lift then put jackstands under the frame rails for support, or jack under the frame rails, (close to the spring hangers) and then put the jackstands in place. I plan to lift one side, do the install, the go to the other side. Seems that if the jacking is done under the axle I wouldn't have to lift the tires more than a couple of inches off the ground, lower the frame onto the jackstands, (placed as close to possible to the spring hangers) to have plenty of clearance once the tires and wheels are removed and the bottle jacks lowered. All hints and tips appreciated.

DL N K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:11 AM   #2
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Actually when John and I did ours we jacked the frame first, then used safety stands to hold the frame. We jacked the frame behind the rear tire I believe and then jacked the axle up just enough to get the wheels off. You will need to have jacks or stands under the axles when you pull the bolts out of the springs as the whole assembly will drop if unsupported. Good Luck... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:14 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Dickie,
You will receive both answers. The manual says not to jack on the axles. I personally do not lift the trailer with the axles. I jack on the "I" beam and try hard to be very conscious to ensure I and centered on it. Also the Trailer was connected to the truck so there was no angled weight on the landing legs.
This topic is my post on doing the wet bolts. Yes it is for Moy/ride but does address the your questions on jacking, jack stands and most the wet bolt questions.
Good luck, be safe and ask any questions I have not answered.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:43 PM   #4
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
I custom cut 6x6's to hold the trailer in the air, used my roll around pump jack to lift the axle to "unload" the weight so I could pull the bolts.

I also had my handy dandy Harbor Freight porta power to assist with spreading the spring pack back into position...that last one takes a bit of fussing and could be done by other means. Take your time and be safe it is doable.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote