Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2009, 07:57 AM   #1
ngass1017

M.O.C. #9251
Wiring Diagram

The front right (passenger side) floodlight on my 2008 Montana will not turn off. No switch seems to operate it and have even turned off all the circuit breakers and the light is still on. I finally had to take the bulb out. Took it in for service and was told I was using the wrong switch. It was out when I picked it up. Two days later is was on again. Looking for a wiring diagram.

Thanks to all. The remote was the answer. If you turn the light on with the remote--you MUST turn it off with the remote. If you turn it on with the switch--you MUST turn it off with the switch. They don't work together.

ngass1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:26 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
ngass, Good luck on the wiring diagram. I was at the factory last year and was told the diagram is in the electricians head that wire them up. Did you ask the dealer how, or what switch he used to turn it off? Seems like someone else had this problem also, maybe they will be along shortly to explain. I think it has something to do with your remote, if you have one...
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:02 AM   #3
Ray Audet
Established Member

M.O.C. #8296
I assume your Montana is a tenth anniversary edition with the remote control. If it is, you probably pressed the light button on the remote by mistake. If that is the case, the only way to turn the light off is to use the remote.
It's a nice feature to be able to turn on the outside light by the remote, but it would be better if it timed out after 10 minutes.
I learned this from experience.
Ray Audet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:39 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
"Looking for a wiring diagram. " .....surely you jest.....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:36 AM   #5
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ray Audet

I assume your Montana is a tenth anniversary edition with the remote control. If it is, you probably pressed the light button on the remote by mistake. If that is the case, the only way to turn the light off is to use the remote.
It's a nice feature to be able to turn on the outside light by the remote, but it would be better if it timed out after 10 minutes.
I learned this from experience.
Ditto on the remote button for the Scare Light.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

"I am serious, ...and don't call me Shirley!"
(Just a little quote from the movie "Airplane")

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:28 PM   #6
billben1
Established Member

M.O.C. #8989
I had the same issue. Could not find a switch, I don't know what possesed me to try the remote but it worked...

billben1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:50 AM   #7
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:

What I don't understand is why most the boating industry (the bigger models) have great owner's manuals, including diagrams of all systems...water, electric, propane, etc. My RV manual is a generic version that covers many RVs and is dated two years prior to my rig.

TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:49 AM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

Quote:

What I don't understand is why most the boating industry (the bigger models) have great owner's manuals, including diagrams of all systems...water, electric, propane, etc. My RV manual is a generic version that covers many RVs and is dated two years prior to my rig.

Just another one of life's little mysteries, Tom.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:27 PM   #9
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
If we all have a few more years experience fixing wiring problems, collectively we might be able to create a wiring diagram for each model and year. I've had to resort to using a buzzer test setup to figure out how things are wired on those sections I've had a problem. Hope the assembly people who have the wiring diagram in their head don't leave the company or get laid off. Incredible! Wonder who trained them or decided how to train them? Just remember that if your dealer is trying to fix a wiring problem on your unit on your nickle, they are charging you $90.00 an hour or so while they are trying to figure out how it was wired too. That is why I have tried to fix my own out of warranty wiring problems. PS: I suspect the larger boats have good and up to date manuals and wiring diagrams is the owners wouldn't buy that model of boat without them.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote