Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2008, 04:29 AM   #1
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Attachments in MOC Threads?

Is there anyway to take an attachment like a Word or Excel document and included it in a reply on a MOC thread? Dennis

mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:37 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Dennis,
One way to do it is to print or save the excel or word file as a pdf, then in turn use Adobe to save the file as a jpg, which can then be used in the forum.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:28 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mail2us

Is there anyway to take an attachment like a Word or Excel document and included it in a reply on a MOC thread? Dennis
Dennis,
I addition to what Bingo said your "file" has to be saved out on the Web similar to photos so our browsers can pull it.
If you have s specific file email it to me and I will manipulate it for you.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:56 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Good point, John. Forgot to mention that!!
Bingo
Old 10-31-2008, 07:05 AM   #5
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
For documents, I just copy (ctrl C) and paste. (ctrl V) Here is an example that I took from one of my docs.

Last night when we returned from the Viking’s landing place we found the whole Park filled with RV’s There was already one caravan there from the U.S. but now we had another one coming in. Most were French Canadians and some did not speak English… While I went inside to write of our day, everyone outside was excited to see a moose walking along the road we were on.. They all managed to take pictures while I was un- aware that anything was going on. Darn.

It sure is easy.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:18 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
That will work for plain text, if you want to keep any of the formatting (fonts, etc, and spreadsheet layout), the first method works, there may be other ways to accomplish this that I am not aware of but definitely interested in learning if anyone knows.
Bingo
Old 10-31-2008, 10:00 AM   #7
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
What I have is an Excel spreadsheet (in the works), so it may be that the PDF would work as Bingo originally suggested.

I also sent John Kohl an email asking for his email!! tks Dennis
Old 10-31-2008, 10:08 AM   #8
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
test copy

Bingo, Helen and John Sample Excel Spreadsheet

Names MOC Numbers Florida Location How Long
Bingo, you're correct. It loses all the excel aspects. Not sure How to convert an excel sheet to PDF??Dennis
Old 10-31-2008, 10:17 AM   #9
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
There are two ways to do it. Depending on the version of excel and the version of Adobe you have. Under the pull down menu labeled File see if there is an option to "Convert to Pdf". If not then you will have to add a printer configuration under the settings in Windows (Add Printer) then select local printer, but not plug and play, at the next screen create a new port that will be a PDF port, it will ask you for a directory name to use. This will let you window selected areas in excel to print to the adobe pdf format. If this is too confusing, let me know and I can e-mail more detailed instructions or give you a call tonight to walk you through it.
Bingo
Old 10-31-2008, 10:19 AM   #10
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Hey tks Bingo. Remember, I'm retired and youre still working so will read the "how to" to figure this out. I have seen already what you indicated about the printer and config that etc. so will read thru it and come back if I end up in a closet muttering to myself! Dennis
Old 10-31-2008, 11:27 AM   #11
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mail2us

test copy

Bingo, Helen and John Sample Excel Spreadsheet

Names MOC Numbers Florida Location How Long
Bingo, you're correct. It loses all the excel aspects. Not sure How to convert an excel sheet to PDF??Dennis
An Image is the way to go to keep the columns. Forumco does not allow or accept multiple spaces or tabs. You would have to fill all the extra spaces with some "space holder" like an underline or dash
I have worked with excel Macros and might be able to help you with some code.
One problem with that is small screens will wrap the text and still make it hard to read.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:56 AM   #12
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
I have another method if your trying to capture only a single page or view.
1) Bring up the document in full window (so it is maximized on your screen to fit entire page).
2) Hold down the "ALT" key and press the "PrtSc" this will capture it as an image.
3) Now paste into IrfanView holding "Ctl" and "V".
4) I use "Ctl and "R" to adjust the image size and enter 640 let the other axis alone.
5) Save it, upload to tinypic, and enter the message board url in your moc post.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:56 AM   #13
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
The essential thing is to have a "place on the web" for the files you want to share. I am fortunate to have a couple of domains and a host service, so that is easy for me.

Once you have a file on the web, it can be shared as a DOC, PDF, JPG, or XLS file directly in a post. A DOC file does require that the user have MSoft Word or another program to open a DOC file. An XLS, in the same way, requires Ms Excel or another spreadsheet program. Here are some examples (I will use the actual URL so it can be seen):

http://www.dw4u.net/box.doc

http://www.dwilliamson.com/rvlog.pdf

http://www.dwilliamson.com/RVchecklist.xls
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:02 PM   #14
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
You will need to upload your file to a site on the web, either provided by you, or provided by someone else. Once you have done that and you know where it is, you just need to provide the link.

Example: http://www.finitesite.com/waynem/MOC...monstrator.xls

will provide a spreadsheet on towing-weights. It is an Excel worksheet.
You can use this method for a file of any extension type that you want people to be able to access. The only requirement is that the person that is opening the document must have a compatable program for that document.

Edited version: Towing Weights

Good luck.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote