Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Campsite
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2007, 09:28 AM   #1
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
What makes a "better site"?

I have read several posts about MOCers having located a "better site" at a campground. I am interested in "what makes a 'better site?'"
Are there any objective criteria or is it just personal taste?
What types of things should one look for in a park or campground to get a "better site?"
We will be touring many campgrounds this summer as part of our learning process and hope to have some ideas in mind when scrutinizing the sites they offer and talking to people.
Thanks for any ideas.
Larry

Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:35 AM   #2
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
I LIKE LOTS OF OLD PEOPLE

NO KIDS YELLING-

no one working on there car-

lots of sunshine, see the ocean and smell it-

I have lots more..........interested??
upon rereading your post I gave ideas on a better campgound not site..would be the same either way for me, I like being around HAPPY PEOPLE

cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:14 AM   #3
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Larry,
Not too much experience here, but have to add my thoughts.
Having something in your "front yard" other than another site,
because it makes your site feel bigger.
Shade trees are nice.
Campfire rings are great.
Electric posts at the rear.
Pull Thru , Pull Thru, Pull Thru, Did I mention Pull Thru? LOL
You'll get the hang of what you want and BE SURE to write down
the site you stayed in along with other site #'s you wished had been
available so when you go back, you can ask for those sites.
Always check with the Moc, their recommendations are great.
We're all different and so personal preference is ALWAYS right.
Hope this helps a little.
Lisa

Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:30 AM   #4
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
Well said wifeofdano. Pull thrus where I have a view out my back window, other than looking in somebody else's back window. Paved sites are good for leveling. Long sites are good for the long rig. I like trees but not so close that you can't open slide-outs. Away from playgrounds and swimming pools (the noise interupts my naps).
chieflawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:31 PM   #5
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I must admit we like pull thru's. However you will find most often that you will be looking at another 5er out your rear window. But the pull thru is much easier on the suspension of you 5er. Lots of pressure on the axles and tires when backing into a site. We like site's with a great view from the rear because we have such a large rear window. When we pull into a RV park we try and pick the site we want. Never around the pool or the main entrance, beware of the trash dump. Try not to get near trees, will be problem of setting up your Satellite dishes. And want have to worry about tree limbs, they aren't very forgiving to you roof tops. Good Luck... GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:02 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I always ask for a level site that is large enough to handle all 40' of my coach, 20'+ of my truck and all four slides. If it has a view, even better! Most of the times while en route from my home base to my destination I will stay in truck stops or Wal*mart's to help offset the cost of the trip.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:09 PM   #7
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
You will want level side-to-side, long enough for the 5er and TV (unhooked). Our preference is shade to the west, open to the south (at least enough to "see" the satelite) and wide enough not have the neighbors sewer hook-up under our awning (had that one night in Iowa)
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:11 PM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Larry,

It's all personal preference, but you can always be assured the better sites are the ones that sold out last year .

With the big back window, we always try for the perimeter sites near the attraction (ocean, lake, valley, cornfield, etc.), but as Delaine and Lindy say, trees, length, width are all limiting factors for these big 3400s with slides out both sides. Trees can really mess up any plans you had to put your awning out as well.

We have kids, so our criteria is somewhat different than CMP-SHOOTER (we avoid old people, try to get near the playground-lodge-pool). We also travel in packs, drink beer all night and play loud music, have friends with Harley's, dance naked after midnight, and shoot guns in the air - well, maybe 30 years ago
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 01:15 PM   #9
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Thanks for the inputs so far. It helps us to have a starting point from which to develop our evaluations.
(By the way Brad, if I danced naked in the moonlight the guns would be shooting at me, not in the air!)
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:21 AM   #10
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
- Level side to side.
- Shade in the summer.
- Away from the Interstate noise.
- Pull thrus when staying only one night.
- Back ins when staying a while...better views and less traffic.
- Room to park the truck off the road when unhooked.
Cat320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 11:25 AM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
The "better site" is what's better for you. I don't know how you get a "better site" unless you're parked in the desert at Quartzite, AZ.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 02:32 PM   #12
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Larry,

It's all personal preference, but you can always be assured the better sites are the ones that sold out last year .

With the big back window, we always try for the perimeter sites near the attraction (ocean, lake, valley, cornfield, etc.), but as Delaine and Lindy say, trees, length, width are all limiting factors for these big 3400s with slides out both sides. Trees can really mess up any plans you had to put your awning out as well.

We have kids, so our criteria is somewhat different than CMP-SHOOTER (we avoid old people, try to get near the playground-lodge-pool). We also travel in packs, drink beer all night and play loud music, have friends with Harley's, dance naked after midnight, and shoot guns in the air - well, maybe 30 years ago
Brad I am ROFL...that could not of been you all them years ago...could it? LOL
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 02:41 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We like pull throughs because we are so darn big.Other than that we are flexible.If we don't like where we are..we just hook up and move.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote