Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2006, 01:45 PM   #1
bmac
Established Member

M.O.C. #5884
Water leak left front compartment

I noticed water in the compartment near the front left compartment on our 2007 3400. It appears to be leaking through the verticle seam between the 2 doors. One of the doors is not flush to the trailer sidewall, but sticks out a half inch. I'm guessing that it is leaking over the top of the door to the inside. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm not sure how to correct a door that is not flush with the trailer sidewall.

Anybody have any suggestions?
Bill

bmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 03:49 PM   #2
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
To make sure that the door area is leaking, you could craw inside the basement and have someone spray the exterior around the door. If it is leaking, it will be easy to see where the leak is. Or if your basement is full of stuff, you can lay newspapers on the basement floor by the doors, close the doors and spray the exterior with water. Open the doors and check the papers for water marks. If the door or doors are warped, they probably should be replaced. You could try to bend or tweak the door straight, it might work or might not. Your unit is still under warranity and your dealer could do the repairs.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:03 AM   #3
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
I have a leak in the same area and I found it while my "sweety" was takeing a shower, water was running down elbow of shower drain....time to fix putty in the shower stall.
Lets see if I am right!!
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 05:43 AM   #4
dmr1021
Established Member

M.O.C. #5682
One of our compartment doors doesn't fit flush unless I latch and lock all 4. Haven't noticed a leak yet but we're in AZ...not much rain. I did just find a small leak in the shower stall at the back where the metal frame and glass meet. Just sent a letter to the Service Center to schedule repairs.
dmr1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:41 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm confused as to which door we're talking about. Is this the double doors to the side to side basement storage area? If so, is the leak coming from under the convenience center? Several of us hav e had leaks in that area because of water connections not being tight. Removing the cover on the convenience center exploses the connections. We also had a loose connection to the shower faucet. That water runs down the drain hole for the water line into the basement storage area. It also, on ours, ran out under the kitchen pantry onto the kitchen floor.

Those doors, when latched, should close tightly against the gasket. On our prior Montana we'd sometimes in a heavy downpour get some dampness on the carpet in the basement near the doors.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:35 PM   #6
bmac
Established Member

M.O.C. #5884
I have checked all plumbing lines with no leak. The leak is visible from the opposite side of trailer when wife is running a hose above area of double doors. It appears to be coming in over the top of the 2 doors and leaks on the black felt on the compartment floor. I am unsure how to fix this problem, so have ordered some plastic rain gutter material from CW. I will install this over the 2 doors and hopefully all the rainwater will be diverted away from the doors. I will let everyone know if this fixes the problem.
Bill
Old 11-22-2006, 08:12 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
A couple of years ago there was a post where some of our members removed the weatherstripping the doors close onto and replaced it with a better aftermarket weatherstripping. That might be an option for you if weatherstripping is the problem. If the door is warped, that's another story. I don't know if you can "unwarp" it or not. It might be worth a try.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 05:24 AM   #8
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
I agree with Steve, those doors should seal tight with all four locks/latches closed. You may try tightening the latches and or more or different weather stripping. When the doors are closed and latched is there any play in them? When I shut mine, they are nice and tight against the weather stripping.
AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 08:38 AM   #9
bmac
Established Member

M.O.C. #5884
The doors seem tight to me and they don't appear to be warped. It may very well be bad gaskets around the door. I will look into getting something aftermarket. Thanks for all the replys!