Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2007, 05:32 PM   #1
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Rearview Camera Upgrade

Several months ago I installed an inexpensive VR3 rearview monitor and camera I found online. The monitor lasted for a few months and died. It was only a 2.5" monitor but did allow me to see the hitch ball as I moved under the A-frame and made hitching much easier.

Recently, I bid on a 7" monitor, that is inside a rearview mirror, on E-Bay and won the auction. I have installed the new monitor and the camera that came with it. The license plate camera that came with the old system is still working so I kept it and installed the new camera on the back of the coach just below the shore power connection. The monitor includes a remote that allows you to switch between the two cameras. Now I have the ability to see the ball while hitching and then switch to the coach camera to see what is going on behind me.

Here's a link with pictures:
http://www.geocities.com/fulltimedre.../Rear_vue.html

fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:48 PM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Great install and up date , I installed a simular cameria on my friends truck his was wireless is your the same? so what do you think caused the monitor to go on the fritzzzzzzz.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:38 PM   #3
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Don,

Neither of the LCD monitors were/are wireless. I opened the old LCD up as it was smoking when it died. Several components on the printed circuit board were fried. It was a very cheap system. Hopefully, the new LCD monitor will do better as it seems to be better engineered. It actually cost me less than the first one, since nobody bid against me in the auction until the last two minutes.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:43 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Very nice mod. you did a good job on it. I am still making brackets, painting them and installing my wiring.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 04:27 PM   #5
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Ozz,

Thanks! I just got around to adding a separate power switch so that I can totally remove power as the camera is not switched. Also, the LCD monitor clamped on to the rearview mirror and the extra weight made it shake a little going down the road. So, I went to my local salvage yard and bought a rearview mirror out of a Camry. I disassembled the mirror and took the mounting arm off of it. I used JB Weld to permanently attach it to the back of the LCD monitor. I removed the existing mirror and put the LCD in its place. Looks factory and no more vibration. I'll put some pics up on the website later.

EDIT: Pics are up.

Anyway, have fun with all those mods to your new ride!
Old 08-20-2007, 05:07 PM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, Lamar. Good engineering on your part.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote