Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2017, 06:58 AM   #1
Phlypp

M.O.C. #20712
Question Need much help with a Montana 3750FL

Does anyone have the time and patience to help? My ex-wife died of cancer two years ago and her three daughters inherited her Montana 3750FL RV. One is in the Army stationed at Ft Leavenworth; another has been sick for two years and is awaiting surgery; and the third is perusing a master’s degree while working full time and raising a family. They’ve asked me to do something with the RV so it can be sold.

I’m in northern Virginia and the RV is stored 2 hours away around Lake Anna, VA. My goal is to be able to start the RV enough to take pictures, clean it out and move it up to northern VA for sale. I find the Keystone Owner’s Manual too generic to be much help and many videos are focused on the features rather than operation. For openers, I don’t even know how to start it. It’s in a grass lot with no power or water and has been winterized but not moved for two years. Reading various things, it sounds like there are different switches which could be turned off or on. I haven’t found the battery and don’t know what to do with the generator. Anyone willing to assist?

Phlypp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:13 AM   #2
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
Welcome. I am sorry for your loss. You've connected with a forum of helpful Montan owners.

Living two hrs from your trailer, sounds like your first objective is getting the fiver mover closer to you in northern Virginia?

Sounds like it may need a new battery and tires. Do you have access to the truck that pulled it?
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:29 AM   #3
GLS3950
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18049
The battery should be in the front compartment on the driver side. However after sitting for 2 years I am sure it would be dead. First either charge the battery or replace it. Then you would be able to start chasing the switches.
GLS3950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:33 AM   #4
Phlypp

M.O.C. #20712
Yes, there's a Ford F350 super duty extended pickup that's housed here in Northern VA (DC suburb). The problem is that there's little place to put the RV up here, nothing is licensed or registered and everything is still in the name of the estate. None of that is yours or anyone else's problem, obviously, but I'm trying to get everything in order and getting the RV to work is one part of the picture.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:41 AM   #5
Phlypp

M.O.C. #20712
"The battery should be in the front compartment on the driver side."

Is that accessed from the outside underneath the front cowl, next to the generator door? In which case I think it's been taken out, I've opened those doors, which would explain why I couldn't find it. Once I get a new battery, how do I start the generator?
Old 10-21-2017, 08:44 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Does it have a generator. Most don't. It would be located in the same compartment as the battery only on the opposite side.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:54 AM   #7
Phlypp

M.O.C. #20712
The tires look a little low on air but are inflated. After sitting for two years without being moved, do I have to assume they need replacement? If not, how do I tell if they're usable once I've moved it a few feet?
Old 10-21-2017, 09:29 AM   #8
Phlypp

M.O.C. #20712
Did I mention I'm fairly unknowledgeable on all this? Yes, I think I found a generator under the front cowl, black and green rectangle but with no controls or connections that I could see. I expected the owner's manual to explain how to operate it but it doesn't. I also didn't know if the green part lifted off somehow, I tried but didn't want to force it. Maybe it's not a generator.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:17 PM   #9
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
No need to worry about the genie in order to move the montana. Sitting in one place for two years...I would recommend changing out the tires. I would also recommend finding a person or business to move the unit to a consignment rv dealer since none of the daughters are in a position to tackle this project. Since you are not an rv person and not knowledgeable about it or towing, it isn't wise to jump into this situation where more damage to the rig and others on the road could occur.
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 12:23 PM   #10
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
I haul my fifth Wheel up to Spotsylvania County to visit my grandkids 2-3 times a year. Believe exit 118 by Lake Anna off I95 has two RV dealerships. One advertises RV Mobile Maintenance Services. If you call the Fredericksburg KOA, they also are just down the road from that exit, and there is a Mobile RV Service listed on the campground site map/rules they hand out, and I bet they could refer you to local mobile techs. Very helpful staff there. Agree with Jcurtis934's comments completely.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 01:28 PM   #11
Phlypp

M.O.C. #20712
Thanks. I stopped at Camping World of Frederick to see if they were interested in purchasing the RV but they've got 350 RVs on their lot already and more on the way. The salesperson said they were awash with Montanas. I've been researching tires since several people have indicated they'll need to be changed. The KOA sounds like a great resource, I'll look into it.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:09 PM   #12
RVStealsAndDeals

M.O.C. #19960
Phlypp,

Take a battery or some jumper cables with you and simply connect the battery you take, or your trucks battery to the battery on the Montana. As said, it's in the compartment under the front of the trailer. If the battery is indeed missing, the red and black cables will be there, just hanging.

Once you use cables to connect a good battery to it, go inside, and right inside the entry door you will find a series of buttons. You will find the Slide-out buttons and simply hold them to the "out" or "extend" position as they go out. Be sure to check around the slide-outs so they don't open into an open cabinet and break a door off or anything.

Once the slides are out, take plenty of pictures and make sure you also take a pic of the generator as that is worth some money, but after sitting for 2 years will most likely require a little bit of work ($200 or so) to get it running in good shape. The Green top on the Generator does come off, but you don't need it off for any reason. It will be something like a "Cummins Onan 5500" or "Cummins Onan 4500." That will help you identify that it is indeed a generator.

Check with local RV dealers in your area for a buy bid as well, not just camping world. It's not quite the right time of year, but if you need to offload it quickly, they can give a buy bid.

When ready to move, just back your truck up, hook it up, and on the drivers side of the trailer towards the front there is a small (approximately 6x6) door that you can open which will grant you access to the jack system to raise or lower the camper to get it under your truck. You may want to take someone with you with experience to ensure you get it hooked up correctly and get all the jacks up and what not so it's good for transport.
RVStealsAndDeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:00 PM   #13
Phlypp

M.O.C. #20712
Thanks for your help and advice, you've filled in several gaps I was unclear about.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:13 PM   #14
tspoon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8973
If the wires to bat are white and other wire is black the black wire is +.
You can do a lot of damage if bat is hooked up wrong!
tspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 02:44 AM   #15
Phlypp

M.O.C. #20712
Well, that's certainly good to know since I would have done the exact opposite.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:06 AM   #16
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Youtube has many videos on all types of campers and I use that on many occasions to learn about my camper. You may want to post pictures of the camper inside and out on this forum for more info on what you are attempting. Or, someone with the same model may join in on this thread. The first thing I would check is was it winterized!!! A mobile RV repair person maybe money well spent to have a look at the camper. Good luck!

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:45 AM   #17
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
I wouldn't take anything to Camping World. If it's at Lake Anna, try talking to McGeorge's Rolling Hills - they're north of Richmond a bit and take consignments. We bought our Monty there six years back. We live north of Haymarket and I may have some time to give you a hand, depending on when. PM me and we'll try to hook up.