Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2010, 07:59 AM   #1
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Weather Radio

We are sensing a need to purchase a weather radio to alert upcoming storms etc.

Would you all please share your pros and cons that you have experienced?

Thank you.

Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:16 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Feel they are VERY important.

If you move to new locale, you need to find out exactly where you are and tune the weather radio to match. (At least that is so on our model.)

It can be annoying, thing going off like crazy, course, it is annoying to get hit by a tornado too that you had no idea was coming, or hail, or 60 MPH winds.

We usually use in conjunction with computer and telie weather reports. And, we have been known to turn it off after the 5th alarm for thunderstorm watch, BUT, not if the weather is likely to esculate past that to the dreaded tornado watch/warning stage.

Have turned it of when we got the 5th red wind alert thingy, after 4 inches of rain, two days later they are saying the conditions are so dry that it is a fire hazard. Never did figure that one out, it must be true, but, geeshhhh.

Just remember, if you determine it is safe to turn it off till the storm (or whatever) passes to turn it back on.

Hmmmm, gonna go look at mine right now, I did turn off the other day, flood watches, yep, it flooded 3 miles from here, but, not on my little hill, and was not going to, and I got tired of jumping up every 7 minutes to turn it off, loud, annoying and yorkies sure did not like.

But, would NOT be without one! I have a particular love/hate relationship with ours at 3 AM, love that I have it, hate that annoying piercing alarm sound.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:55 AM   #3
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We,also, would not be without ours. Pros = we ALWAYS know what the weather is and will be with ours and, during storm and flood times, invaluable. Cons = can't think of any. To avoid it going off with alerts from all over, plug in the county codes you are in and you will get only the warnings important to you. You get the codes from http://nws.noaa.gov/nwr/indexnw.htm
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:55 PM   #4
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
I am seeing different brands. What "brand" do you have?
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:18 PM   #5
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
We have a Midland WR-301 for the rig. We also have a weather radio in our CB. Make sure you get a radio with "Specific Area Message Encoding (SAME)" capability. This will allow you to use the county codes mentioned above.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:26 PM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Midland, sorry, do[s]n't know[/s] the model #.

See OntMont's post below, thanks John!! Yes, ours is the same, and the features he lists are great. I bring it in the house, and plug er in. In Tana, we plug into 12 volt (is that right CountryGuy??).

Anywho - - that is the model.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:36 PM   #7
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I have a CB radio that has the weather on it. My son thought something was wrong with it because it would make a very loud noise when it was turned off. Nice to have when you need it but it’s only good when you are in the truck.
I also have an Eaton radio that has a hand crank, solar power, and a battery. It has the weather channels on it but I haven’t used it. Anyone have one like it? If so, does it have the alert tone on it? Looks like a handy radio to stash in the Monty.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:29 PM   #8
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mynabird

We are sensing a need to purchase a weather radio to alert upcoming storms etc.
Ours is a Midland WR300 (as is Mrs CountryGuy's)

I chose it because:
Modest price
Can be powered from 12v
Has an external antenna input
Has a back up battery.

They can be a bit of a pain in stormy weather, but they do serve their purpose, especially if something unexpected comes along. You should read the instructions carefully, and learn to set it for the immediate area that you are in. This usually means the county that you are in, and maybe one or two adjacent counties. (For Canadians, they will work in Canada from Envrionment Canada's transmitters).

You can likely find a better price on Amazon etc.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:48 PM   #9
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We have a Midland. Radio Shack, I believe.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:33 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have one in the house and one in the Montana. Would not be without is in the Montana. The worst place you can be in a bad storm, high winds, etc is a camper and we want all the early warning we can get to beat feet out of there.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:14 PM   #11
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Funny that this thread came up on the screen just as our small portable unit went off announcing a severe thunderstorm moving into the area. We have one in the Monte but didn't have one here in the stick! We got this portable one at Aldi's( the foodstore). It is an Oregon Scientific model WR601. It is more like a medium size walkie talkie and even comes with a belt clip incase you want to take it on hikes and etc. I think it ran about $25 and well worth the early warning on any severe storms or weather alerts from the National Weather Service.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote