Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2010, 05:09 AM   #1
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Lug Nuts

New McGard Lug Nuts went on the Monty with the new tires. Can you believe the lug nuts were rusted like the photo below shows? The unit is slightly over three months old from the factory.
The dealer would not even respond or help in the matter. I did pick up the unit in Elkhart from the dealer and the rest of the time was spent in the West where there was not any salt.

The McGard lug nuts caused me to have weak knees when I opened my wallet to buy them. But I don't have to look at the rusty ones anymore.

On Edit: If anyone is interested in the McGard lug nuts they are McGard #64805. They 1/2 x 20 RH. This number will save you a lot of wondering and searching. Dick Fry another MOC member provided me with the number.

3 Month old lug nuts???

New McGard Lug Nuts

New Tires & Lug Nuts

Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:19 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
A well documented problem, they are probably made in China as well. We had ours replaced under the warranty period, they rusted again, so we have decided to let them stay as they are until we bite the bullet for new tires. We will also go with the McGard's then.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:13 AM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Been there, done that. About 3 years ago. McGard's still look good. Costs a bit, but then quality does cost.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:26 AM   #4
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Thanks for the part number. Ours is a 2005 and I have removed the lugs,used chrome and metal polish, waxed them and they still rusted. They do look ugly !!! I just wrote to Mcgard last week asking them for a part number of the proper lug nut,but have not received an answer yet. So this helps.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:49 AM   #5
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
We took delivery of our new 08 Montana last Oct. I noticed the lug nuts were rusted bad. This unit was never on the road except for the trip from IN to WI. That was in the Fall & no salt was on the road. It sat on the dealer's lot for two years!
I had the dealer replace them before we took it home.
I left strict instructions NOT to use a impact wrench on them!
The hammering effect of the wrench Will damage the cheap finish on them. As of today & 4,000 miles later they are still like new. Put a little wax on them...that helps.
I change my own tires & own a impact wrench, but won't use it on them.

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:22 PM   #6
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Thanks Jolu I needed that.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:38 AM   #7
Dennis and Carol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #53
Christmas day we had a near disaster. I cut a corner too short and bumped the curb. The end result was both of the spring hangers on the rear axle came loose dropping the coach on the tires. After about 4 hours in the right turn lane off of a very, very busy street in So. Cal. with help from 2 very good friends we removed the tires, strapped up the axles and was able to move the Montana to a repair facility. To make a long story short, they completely rebuilt the suspension including heaver spring hangers, HD shackles with wet bolts, 2 new springs, serviced the bearings, brakes, installed cross bracing between the spring hangers, center equalizer, etc.. Just before they finished, he informed me that the wheels had been installed using the WRONG lug nuts. He said that lug nuts were for steel wheels and the cast alum. wheels required a specific lug nut. I torqued them at 50 mi. and found 2 that need tightened, again at 100 miles and 1 one need tightened, again at 300 miles and all were tight. This was quite an education as I had been concerned about the U-bolts and shackles and it was the hangers that failed. One of them had been broken for a long, long time as the fracture line on both sides was rusted with no sign fresh metal.
Dennis and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #8
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
were those factory installed?
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:16 AM   #9
Dennis and Carol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #53
Yes they were. Makes you wonder why Keystone feels it necessary to give you a DVD instructing us about the importance and how to torque your the lug nuts. The new lug nuts they installed had a straight area about 1/3 to 1/2 inch long that was threaded inside which went inside the rim before the beveled part came into contact with the rim. Another thought, when was the last time you re-torqued the wheels on your truck.
Dennis and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote