Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2009, 07:32 PM   #1
kipandbob
Established Member

M.O.C. #9500
Vac & landing gear

Hi, folks,

Curious 'bout a couple of things:

- does the central vacuum work well enough that one doesn't need
something like a Dust Buster?
- do the landing gear & rear jacks level the trailer or just
stabilize it after leveling by other means?

Thanks, as usual,

-Bob

kipandbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:12 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The central vac works well enough for us not to have a portable/rechargable vac. The hose can get wieldy dragging throughout the trailer and there are some attachments to help out, but we can get to every nook and cranny. DW lets me do all the vacuuming because of the long hose.

The landing gear holds up and levels your trailer when you detach it from the truck. It has to be able to hold up to 3,000 lbs of the pin weight. The rest of the weight is on the tires.

The rear stabilizers are not jacks and should never be used for holding any bearing weight. They are used exclusively for 'attempting' to minimize movement at the rear of the trailer after the trailer has been completely detached, leveled and chocked. It is also strongly recommended that the slides be extended prior to dropping the stabilizers. Something I've been told to ease stress of the slideouts and seemed to make sense.

I say 'attempting' because you'll find some movement will still occur which is why there are many aftermarket products that improve stabilization (or leveling for that matter).
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:51 AM   #3
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I level the trailer side to side by putting blocks under the tires. Once it's level that way, I use the landing gear to level it front to back. As Art pointed out, the rear jacks are stabilizers, not levelers.

As for the vacuum - both nature and I abhor them, but the built in does work well enough that a Dustbuster isn't needed... inside the trailer. It does come in handy to clean up the basement or the tow vehicle though.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:07 AM   #4
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Art,
Where did you get the info about extending slides before you lower stabilizers? I do it just the opposite and haven't had any problems. Am I doing it wrong?
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:58 AM   #5
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
The landing gears do not level the trailer they only hold it level unless you have a system like Orv's that operates each landing gear independent of the other. As Tom S. says you must get the trailer level from side to side by use of blocks or boards under the wheels. As far as the central vac goes there have been many opinions expressed on this forum. My wife wished the central vac was never installed as she finds the hose to cumberson to drag through the unit. It does have pretty good suction and a good assortment of tools as Art suggested. She prefers her smaller rechargable vac.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:33 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The VAC was a must for Helen. The hose could be @ a foot longer. We saw a extension at a RV rally. We do have a beater attachment, We do extend the slides before dropping the stablizers but don't know why..... It just works out that way.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:52 AM   #7
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
We liked the Dirt Devil that I installed in our last Montana better than the one that came with our new model. We now have to spend another $169 for the "free" attachment that came with the D.D. As I do the sweeping in the unit, I may just replace the onboard with another built-in D.D.
I have never heard of Arts discription of putting the slides out before the stableizers going down. I have always made sure the unit is level and setup before I ever put the slides out. DW gets aggravated sometimes when I talk tooooooo much in the process.
I guess whatever works for you may not be how the next person does something.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:53 AM   #8
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
We like the VAC, it works great for us. By the time I get to the rear stablizers the slides are always out,
only because thet are last on my list.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:23 AM   #9
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
We also have the Dometic vac and the wife lifes it. We added a power head,air operated, called turbo cat zoom. Found on EBay or factory website. Prices vary so you need to research if you are going to buy.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:21 AM   #10
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

It is also strongly recommended that the slides be extended prior to dropping the stabilizers. Something I've been told to ease stress of the slideouts and seemed to make sense.
I don't understand this. We've already established that the stabilizers are just that, stabilizers, and do not support any true weight. Therefore, I don't see what the relationship is between them and the slides.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:19 AM   #11
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
An example of what Art is talking about, the rear stabilizers and the slideouts. Our 2955RL has two slides on the drivers side. When I put the stabilizers down before the slides are out, sometimes I will have the rear stabilizer on the passenger side not sitting very tight or not at all on the ground and the stabilizer on the slide side with more weight on it than before the slides were extended.
I think some of us might have that issue at times because of the weight of the slides on one side of the trailer.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:41 AM   #12
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
I'm with Joe on this opinion. Have the same coach. There is definitley a shift in the weight bias when the slides are run out. Lowering the rear stabilizers after slide runout assures you get the balance benefit you are seeking from using the stabilizers.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:46 AM   #13
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Sorry Art, not stabilizing the trailer before you extend the slides does not make sense to me...please enlighten.

We level the trailer side-to side-using blocks.

ON EDIT: We chock both sides.

We then remove the trailer from the truck and level front to back with the landing gear.

The rear stabilizers are then extended to snug.

The slides are then extended.

The purpose of this sequence is to minimize the weight differences when the slides are extended. We use the very same sequence in reverse to leave.

We are happy that we have the built-in vacuum cleaner. It does a good job and is very compact. We do not have animals, so you may get several different answers as to its usefulness. One benefit pointed out to us recently, you can remove the 4 screws on the vacuum and it becomes portable.

We also carry a small handheld vacuum that is used for the storage compartments and the truck.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:51 AM   #14
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Robbie: I see you have a 2980RL. I think that is a 3 slide model, with a slide on the curb side that somewhat offsets the weight shift we are referring to with our 2955's. Same could be said for the 3400RL's.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:53 AM   #15
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Thanks Jolu... That's what was hinted to me.

What was explained to me was to allow as much freedom of the trailer to jockey back and forth as the slides extend and retract, especially since I have 3 slides on one side and only 1 on the other. Since they also don't come out in the same order every time and I don't know why, I let them in and out without the stabilizers in place to allow the best freedom of movement. NOTE: The rig has been leveled and chocked solid already. It was explained to me putting the stabilizers down first could cause some stress on them especially when not on completely flat ground. It made sense to me especially with 4 slides that can cause so much in weight fluctuations as the are positioned in place.

Whatever works for you is what really counts. There is no wrong way until something goes wrong.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:42 AM   #16
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Not to beat this to death, we have a 2955RL (2 slides) and most of the time I set the rear stabilizers before opening the slides. It is easier to get to the stabilizers on the driver's side when the slides are closed. But I have also done it after the slides are out. I have never noticed an appreciable change in the pressure on the stabilizers with either method.

We also have the on-board vacuum and it works very well. It sucks up dog hair very well with the add-on power head attachment. We use our house vacuum when cleaning before or after a trip, but don't carry anything else when we are out and about.

P.S. The on-board vacuum works great to clean the basement if you run the hose through the laundry door in the floor of the bedroom. It also can be used to clean the truck by going out the door if you park real close.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:18 AM   #17
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We have had three on board Vac's but only thing we liked was the kick plate option, the hose is another issue. We don't have a whole house Vac this time. We have a furr kid hand we have a Dyson 17 on the rolling ball. It does a much better job and is so easy to mover around. As for the slides it really makes no difference in how we put them out or in. We can move what every slide we want to, however Delaine always puts the door side out first because it the furthermost slide from the Hydraulic pump, and then go to the off door side then the bedroom/Washer/Dryer slide and last is the Vanity slide. As for the jacks (6ea) they are all hydraulic. I was told by a Lippert Tech that you go to the slide that is the longest distance from the Hydraulic pump. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:54 AM   #18
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We were told that we should always make sure the stabilizer jacks are down BEFORE extending the slide outs. The owner's manual says (more or less) the same thing on page 79 (2004 version).

(I also know that many dealers don't follow this advice for their units that are on display).

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:25 AM   #19
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We always stabilize first, then put slides out. Works for us. Vac is good, not as good as our last Dyson, but we sold it with rest of "Stuff" from house when we started fulltiming. It also works for us, even with dog and cat clothes. I would be concerned if my slides did not come out same way each time as I walk around outside when Cathy is sliding them out, just to make sure of clearances and nothing is hanging up (Not that they would, of course). Again, what works for us.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:49 AM   #20
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
I was told that we should always make sure the stabilizer jacks are down and have the camper level BEFORE extending the slide outs. and i also read that in the booklet.
this is from lippert.
PRIOR TO OPERATION
Prior to operating the Lippert Hydraulic Slideout System, follow these guidelines:
1. Coach should be parked on the most level surface available.
2. Leveling or stabilizing system should be actuated to ensure coach will not move during operation of System.
3. Be sure battery is fully charged.
4. Be sure to keep all persons and pets clear of slideout System during operation.
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote