Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2009, 07:54 AM   #1
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Fantastic Fan Information

Just got off the phone after talking to Bob Barretta of Fantastic Vent Corp. I wanted more information about covering my Fantastic Fans with MaxxAirs.

He told me that the MaxxAirs do not void any warranty and that they provide a lifetime warranty of the fans, no questions asked. But what he did say is that there is a 40% loss of air flow when operating on low when there is a MaxxAir cover on the fan. In addition, the MaxxAirs trap the air as well as the dust and you can accumulate excessive dust in the rig.

When the fans are operated on high while covered with MaxxAirs, the motor works twice as hard and heats up. The motor can get so hot that it will blow an internal safety device that is there to prevent fires. In addition, its bearings will dry out and they will begin making a very irritating squeaking sound: eek, eek, eek, eek. (His explanation of the sound, not mine.) But again, the warranty is not voided.

When we had our Fantastic Fans installed back in 2003, the installer removed our MaxxAir covers and recommended that we not use them. After talking to Mr. Barretta, I now understand why.

Mr. Barretta also mentioned that they tested the Fantastic Fan with the cover open about three inches (3") with the fan on low speed and directed a garden hose at the opening and didn't get any water inside. In addition, he said that they tested the fans on an old Coachman trailer that had five fans installed, and with all the fans open there was no water in the rig through any of the fans.

Just thought I'd pass this information on in case anyone might be interested. It's not meant to start any arguments or long dissertations about how well the fans work with MaxxAirs covering them.

Orv

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:39 AM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Good piece of information.

Thanks.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:27 PM   #3
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Thanks Orv, kinda makes one wonder if those Maxair are needed doesn't it?
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:07 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8.1al

Thanks Orv, kinda makes one wonder if those Maxair are needed doesn't it?
I still have one MaxAir over one vent near the shower. If I could find 12 volts close to that vent I'd have a Fantastic Fan there also. I could tap into the lights voltage but I already have one fan connected there.

Orv
Old 02-27-2009, 04:37 PM   #5
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Hi Orv,
A few years ago we had a motor home. That was when I first got CRS. I kept forgetting the vent cover was up and off we would go. After replacing 2 vent covers I bought 3 max air covers. Didn't have a fantastic fan. With the vents full open going down the road you got a little ventilation but nothing special. When stopped you might as well just leave the vents closed. A total waste of money. Just my opinion.
John
WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:40 PM   #6
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Here is the response I got when I e-mailed them (MaxxAir)about this. First is my question and then their response.

1. You advertise the FAN MATE as being compatible FanTastic Fans. Will the FAN MATE allow the vent cover on the FanTastic fan to open all the way?

2.Good morning Jack,

No, it cannot, but nearly so. The fan has circuitry that stops the lid from opening when it hits an obstacle. This same circuit is also designed to shut off the lid motor when the unit is closed. It is a very typical function and many thousands of FanMates have been in service for years in this manner. You will notice little if any difference in the performance of your fan with the use of this product other than the fact you can keep it open and running in the rain.

Sincerely,

Brandi Wallace
Staff Accountant
MaxxAir Vent Corp
Tel: (813)882-8282, Ext 23

Now I'm not sure which way to go????
r,
Jack
Old 02-27-2009, 04:43 PM   #7
tractor
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3421
Had ours built with fantastic fan in vent by shower thought it was stupid not one there standard.Have maxair fan covers on both fans since new no problem.They should have put the ac over the kitchen so you didn't have to listen to it in the living room.
tractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:17 AM   #8
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
I would love to have my Fantastic Fan open!!. I think it has worked about six times on it's own. Bob has to manually open it to get it to work.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:14 AM   #9
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
My Fantastic fans say they have a rain sensor and will automatically close. I haven't ever tried it. Do they work?
mopar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:22 AM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Driftwoodgal

I would love to have my Fantastic Fan open!!. I think it has worked about six times on it's own. Bob has to manually open it to get it to work.

Colleen
Colleen,
Ours are not automatic. We have to open them manually. I didn't want the automatic ones because in an "on-and-off" drizzle, they are constantly opening and closing.

We don't mind having to open them because when we do open them it's because we want them open.

Orv
Old 03-04-2009, 03:27 AM   #11
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Orv,

Opening them manually would be fine if it wasn't in the kitchen. It takes a tall ladder or standing on the kitchen counter to open it.

We looked at the MaxxAir covers for the FF, but thought why would you need it if you have the rain sensor.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:17 AM   #12
greener
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7882
To answer the question-- yes the rain sensor does work in our Fantastic Fan.
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:10 PM   #13
AVTravler
Established Member

M.O.C. #8993
Someone mentioned that their Fantastic Fan had only worked about 6 times.
I have had times, especially in the summer, when the Fan Cover will not open. Apparantly the rubber seal which runs around the perimeter of the fan body became stuck to the plastic fan body. Solution: I sprayed Silicone around the edge of the seal and never had this problem again.
I have the MaxAire covers on all my vent openings and they have worked great, also no problems with the Fantastic Fan, and in a wind driven pouring rain I have not had one drop of water in the coach.
AVTravler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:19 AM   #14
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mopar1

My Fantastic fans say they have a rain sensor and will automatically close. I haven't ever tried it. Do they work?
Yes, but as stated above, if you have a little "on and off" sprinkle situation, it will go up and down as the amount of moisture dictates. Can get annoying.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:03 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have not had any problem at all with our fantastic fan. Push the touch pad and it automatically opens. If it rains it automatically closes. When it stops it opens again. It does exactly what it is designed to do.We do not have the Maxxair covers. I do not understand the importance of having the fan running when it is raining??? We have a vent in the bathroom and next to the shower both with covers that provide plenty of ventilation when raining or going down the road'

BTW.. The Fan/Mate IS made by Maxx aire and is SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED for the fantastic fan and comparable models.The reply Orv got was in reference to the Maxxair product not the Fan/Mate.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:53 AM   #16
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Rich,
I posted a reply earlier in this thread from the folks at Maxxair was in regard to the Fan Mate, and they indicate it will work fine with Fantastic and other fans of that kind of design. In the new rig, we are having Fantastic Fans installed in the bathroom as well as the kitchen. The reason for the one in the bath is so we can run it without having the annoying sound the standard one makes and not having to replace that fan with a quieter one after taking delivery. We will more that likely put a Fan Mate on the one in the bath but not the kitchen (we never had a problem with the rain sensor or thermostat in the old rig).

In the old rig we would manually open the Fantastic Fan cover slightly and turn the fan on a very low speed when it was raining to help keep the condensation inside the rig down....seemed to work for us.

r,
Jack
Old 03-06-2009, 04:12 AM   #17
Kandharry
Established Member

M.O.C. #8304
After reading these posts I've got a question.
How do I get my Fantastic Fan to open less than all the way?
Everytime I hit the switch it goes full open.
Same for closing.......all the way.
I've read and reread the instructions and tried everything I can think of.
But it's full open or full closed everytime.
Any ideas?
Harry
Kandharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:38 AM   #18
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
I believe that you pull the knob out, and turn it by hand to the position you want it to be at. I really have not played with it to see how it would work like that. It seems to me that if you opened it manually, that it would not close automatically.

The fan in the kitchen is so high that you would need a ladder to do it anyway. I did, however, see a replacement knob somewhere that had a metal bale on it so that you could use some sort of stick with a hook. Not sure if it would work with the Fantastic Fan or not.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:54 AM   #19
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kandharry

How do I get my Fantastic Fan to open less than all the way?
Harry,
Just the way KTManiac described.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:44 AM   #20
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Clyde n Deb

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mopar1

Yes, but as stated above, if you have a little "on and off" sprinkle situation, it will go up and down as the amount of moisture dictates. Can get annoying.
Thanks
mopar1 is offline   Reply With Quote