Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2020, 04:11 PM   #1
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
Things mysteriously turn on

I have a new 2020 3813 with the touch pad control, in command. My water pump has come on without making a request and lights have come on without a request also. Any one else had this happened? Concerned that something will get turned on and I am not there to catch it.

scuba dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 05:15 PM   #2
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
if you valve on 'FILL". int he inconvenience center? That will make the pump come on every 90 seconds
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 05:44 PM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I had just the opposite happen in our HC375. The television in our bedroom would turn off at exactly 9:55 pm every night, and then again at 10:15 pm, and then again at 10:35 pm. (20 minutes apart 3 times in a row), every night. This happened at a campground for about a week. And then it continued at home for about a week (as we sleep in the camper at home all the time). I never did figure it out, then one day, it just stopped and never did it again.

The water pump will cycle on and off if you fill your fresh water tank and forget to flip the "fill" switch from "fill" back to "normal" or "run" position. If you have an ice maker, the water pump will turn on every time the ice makes a new batch of ice. If your water heater drain plug has a slight drip, it takes only about 20 drops of water and the pump will cycle on.

The lights could be flipping on because of electrical interference. If the system can be controlled by a wireless remote, then anything sending an identical signal can turn things on and off. What are the odds of someone else having a remote or a system on your identical frequencies? Probably much greater than you think.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:09 PM   #4
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
I was hooked up to city water with no water in holding tank. We were gone and came back and the water pump was running.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:12 PM   #5
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
I doubt that this is it but have you hooked up Global Connect to the internet yet? Any chance that someone did it at the dealership to demonstrate it?
Old 04-29-2020, 06:53 PM   #6
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
No not hooked up to that.
Old 04-29-2020, 09:48 PM   #7
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba dude View Post
No not hooked up to that.
Maybe somebody else is? Dealer? IDK just asking.
Bob and Jeannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 05:47 PM   #8
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba dude View Post
I was hooked up to city water with no water in holding tank. We were gone and came back and the water pump was running.

I will agree that is odd. However! (Oh ya, I somehow always have a story to share, that'w what happens when you approach age 65... meanwhile)...

Our previous travel trailer was an Outback 298RE. We have always been blessed to be able to park all our campers at home in the driveway. When we first got the Outback, because we used it so much at home, we very seldom, if ever, locked the door.

A word of explaination is needed here. We live in the country, our driveway is over 250 feet long and 35 feet wide. We have no neighbors behind us or across the road, it's all corn and bean fields. We do have neighbors on both sides of us. The neighbor on one side has an acre, the neighbor on the other has 4 acres. We have 1 acre. What I'm saying is, we do not live in town at all. We are country people. Our neighbors are still trustworthy, we still look out for each other and everyone has shotguns and dogs that bark.

After camping, when returning home, I always drained the fresh water tank. I never towed that trailer with water in any of the tanks. So, once home, there was never any reason to turn on the water pump. I also drained the water heater after every trip. When we got home, we'd sleep in the camper at night about half the time.

Then all of a sudden it started. Things were shut down for sure. We'd be in the house for 2 or 3 days and then I go out to the camper to begin to get ready for the next week-end trip, and I'd walk in a the water pump was turned on and the pump running with an empty fresh water tank. The switch on the wall was physically flipped on. I'd flip it off. Next day, it was on again. Then sometimes a week or a month may go by and then I'd go out again and it would be on.

On another forum site, I even posted about this strange occurance and blamed it on poltergeists (ghosts). It made no sense at all. Except for the fact we did have a neighbor boy who we thought was a bit mischevious. We could never prove it, but we thought he might have been going into the camper and messing around when we weren't there or after dark. So, I started locking the door. All was well for a while, then all of a sudden it was flipped on again! And the door was locked! I never figured that out.

By now I was so frustrated over this, I decided to double switch the water pump. The water pump was located in a panel right beside the bed. I opened it, spliced into one of the wires and ran a second line off and attached it to an automotive toggle switch that was located on the other side of the bed, near the front, under the mattress but on the wall holding the bed up.

In order for the pump to run, both switches had to be on as they were in a parallel circuit. If either one was off, the pump would not turn on at all.

I then flipped both switches off, and the pump never came back on again! Although, the main switch on the main panel would sometimes be flipped back on, the one under the bed was still off. .... spooky I know!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 10:58 AM   #9
Kruskop's
Established Member

M.O.C. #22567
We changed our code in the event our other RV neighbors with same system could cause our interference.
Kruskop's is offline   Reply With Quote