Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2010, 07:00 AM   #1
01RAMer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7316
3400 Brakes

My trailer brakes do not come anywhere near locking up when I apply max 13 volts using my Prodogy, while the trailer is rolling. At speeds I can feel a pull and that's about it. Do they make larger or stronger brake magnets to resolve this issue? It's been like that from day one, from the factory and I was wondering if anybody has had this problem and found a way to resolve it.

01RAMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:24 AM   #2
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Have you checked the brake shoe adjustment? I have found brakes on my previous SOB's not adjusted properly.
I have the same thing on my 08 that I bought last Oct. It sat on the dealers lot for two years until I purchased it.

Two days ago, I upgraded my tires from Mission's to GY G614's & done a brake adjustment. Two wheels I had to tighten the shoes for the adjustment almost 16 turns! One on one side & another on the other side.
We are taking it to IA next week & I'll report here on my findings.
Being that far out adjustment will cause low brakes.

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:34 AM   #3
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
If you want to see if the brakes will lock up, try pulling the pin from the emergency switch on the pin box (you can release them by putting the pin back in). I wouldn't want the prodigy to lock up the brakes, that's a sure recipe for jackknifing the rig.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
RCN.Stoker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9497
For a heavy trailer on pavement not being able to lock seems to be the rule. I tow a triple axle electric over hydraulic boat trailer and like my 3585SA I can only get it to lock on loose gravel. I also have towed a 30ft Raptor that acts the same way. If you search adjusting brakes I believe there are a couple of previous posts on this issue.
RCN.Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:43 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I solved the problem by having Kodiak Disc Brankes installed by MorRyde in Elkhart, IN. (along with their independent suspension (IS)).
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:19 PM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I agree as above ... for a trailer the size of a 3400 ... you'll not lock up the stock electric brakes unless you're doing about 10 mph on loose gravel. Your trailer weighs 6-7 ton. The old instructions about adjusting the brake controller until it locks the wheels up then back off was quoting a much lighter trailer setup.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:04 PM   #7
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
i noticed that you have an 07 trailer.have you adjusted the brake shoes before? go under the trailer jack up one side of the trailer at the frame.there is a rubber boot at the bottom of the inside brakebacker plate righty tighty lefty loosey.tighten till you cant turn the wheel.then back them off three or four clecks.then try your brakes hope that helps,dont forget to do all four wheels.
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:43 AM   #8
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I was told I had self adjusting brakes. I do NOT.
It does not take much to check. If there is an adjustment gear, they are manual adjust.
I don't know why they even make manual adjusting brakes anymore.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:03 AM   #9
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by thor

i noticed that you have an 07 trailer.have you adjusted the brake shoes before? go under the trailer jack up one side of the trailer at the frame.there is a rubber boot at the bottom of the inside brakebacker plate righty tighty lefty loosey.tighten till you cant turn the wheel.then back them off three or four clecks.then try your brakes hope that helps,dont forget to do all four wheels.
My star wheel goes up/down not right/left. Up is tighten, down is loosen.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:21 PM   #10
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
close enough
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:51 AM   #11
01RAMer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7316
Thanks for all the info on this. Mine definately won't lock up even on gravel at any speed. What I haven't done is to try adjusting the brakes. With all the good advice about adjusting, I will definately be adjusting the brakes before heading out again in two weeks. I have a feeling this is the answer, but if not I checked with Dexter to see if they make a stronger magnet for brakes, an they do but not for 12" x 2". How do I know what size I have? They also say they have a more agressive brake linning kit, P/N: K71-127-00. Has anyone tried these with better results? Thanks for all your input to this issue!
01RAMer is offline   Reply With Quote