Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2006, 07:52 AM   #41
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Forgot to add that with the low point drains inside the basement storage area, which is heated, and the water lines in the belly in their own heated channel at the top of the belly and also being insulated, I'm betting it can handle zero without freezing. The assumption is that the furnace runs sufficiently to keep heat in the belly. We've been able to do that part in the past. It remains to be seen whether zero is attainable without freezing and without additional insulation. We will not have the dual pane windows so will continue to use film over the windows but that has more to do with keeping our persons comfy than the water lines. We'll know by the end of the year just how accurate the brochure is.

Dsprik, on the older models the low point drains were hanging below the belly, out in the cold. On our 3295RK (2003) I heat taped those low point drains. The other difference is the water lines were uninsulated and just lay in the belly. Where they touch the frame they would freeze. They now are in their own channel, wrapped in insulation, and in the highest (warmest) part of the belly, just below the floor of the coach. Major improvement for people like us who spend a couple of months each year in temperatures down to minus 5.

Cat320, we have spent Nov/Dec in the Kansas City area each of the past three winters. We have "endured" temperatures to minus 5, F. We have gone down to minus 3 without freezing, after doing some modifications to our 2003 model and after fixing my own screwups. Prior to the mods, our low point drains would freeze at about 22 degrees. We were very comfortable. We dressed like you would in a stick home. The furnace would keep it very comfortable inside but would chow the propane faste r than I like so we use a mix of the propane furnace and electric heaters. We also had film on the windows, the 3M film to give extra insulation on the windows. We were not at all uncomfortable.

No, the arctic package does not include heat pads on the tanks. It is only an insulation blanket on the bottom of the belly. That's it.

OntMont, in our 3295RK I sealed most openings but not those big openings around the wheel area and the stabilizers. On the next one I will seal the smaller openings in the belly pan, such as where the dump pipe comes through, but will not seal those larger ones. It dawned on me the heated air from the furnace has to exit somewhere. If I seal up every opening then it can't get out and will just build pressure. The furnace will not like that and it might affect hot air flow in the belly, to the detriment of that zero degree rating (not sure about that).

Wrenchtraveller, when we do nov/dec in Kansas City we use a 100 lb propane tank furnished by the rv park (we pay for the propane). Last December when we had a couple of weeks where the highest high was 14 and most were single digits we would go through a hundred pounder in a week. And we also were using electric heaters to supplement the heat and keep propane usage down.

Dsprik, if you're talking about the basement storage area for the reflectix, I don't think you need bother (my opinion). The basement gets heat. When we froze up last winter due to my own screwup, we ran the furnace on 75 for 24 hours with dinner plates covering about 2/3 of each vent in the coach, to force more into the belly. When I opened up the door to the basement, the one for the laundry chute, I got a blast of very hot air from there. I don't know how it is accomplished but nothing froze in that basement storage area all winter.

Dsprik, our bubble wrap is between the two layers of skylight. Remove the screws (from the shower stall side), put on the bubble wrap, put it back up and screw it back in. I used three layers of bubble wrap. Ours is like you buy at Walmart in the home/office section. Not silvered like Camping World's. It mutes the light but still allows light. You might want the silvered. A tip -- when installing the bubble wrap if you use multiple layers. tape each side down enough to hold it in place. Otherwise it shifts on you when you're reinstalling. If done right you'll never see the tape.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 08:37 AM   #42
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve, you said this 2 times:

"We'll know by the end of the year just how accurate the brochure is."

Does this mean you are getting a 2007?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 08:41 AM   #43
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carol, you are quick! It was a teaser to see if anyone noticed. Yes, we have a 2007 3400RL on order. Actually, it will be ordered Monday. We have one very small point to be agreed upon with the dealer and then it will be ordered. We hope to have it in time for the rally.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:43 AM   #44
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Sweet, and SHOOT

and I will be missing the rally

bummer

congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:30 AM   #45
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Steve and Vicki, welcome to the 3400 club!
Happy trails.........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 10:03 AM   #46
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Steve,,there is a 2007 3400 here at the FCRV rally..We see no difference with our 2006 delivered in May 2006..We are finding that the 3400 is very livable..lots of room..you are going to be very happy with the 3400.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 11:05 AM   #47
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Well, I see we missed something, congratulations to Steve and Vicki on the new 3400RL!

We are looking forward to seeing it at the Rally.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 01:38 PM   #48
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Congratulations Steve and Vicki. Did you plan this or did you just go looking?
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 04:35 PM   #49
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks to all.

Larry, we were kinda thinking about it and decided first to just look. One thing led to another, we sat down with the salesman and talked about it. It took about a week but we're just about there. Not quite as good a deal as I first proposed but well within what we pre-decided is an acceptable range.

Rich, as far as I know the only difference is the calendar turned and they're now 2007 models. If we're here in Goshen when the next factory tour takes place (can't remember which day of the week and will have to ask) then I'll ask if there's any difference. I don't think there is, though. I think they introduced all the changes earlier this year but I might be wrong.

We were going to keep this quiet and just show up with it at the rally but... I had to put that teaser out there and Carol picked up on it immediately. Thanks to all for the congratulations and good wishes. I sure hope we get one as good as this 3295rk has been.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:00 PM   #50
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

... Dsprik, before, it was 28 degrees. That was from a keystone exec a couple of years ago when I asked. I do not know if it was tested to 28 but he said it was guaranteed to 28. I don't know if 2007 is guaranteed to zero but since it is in the brochure....
Thanks, Steve! Sounds like a huge improvement(s). Congrats on your new 3400! It is truly heartwarming to see someone who has REALLY earned his & her "Cold Weather Degree" in an Rv that was a major project to protect, under your circumstances, and now Graduating to a much better "weatherized" home. No one deserves it more than you and Vicki. I'm almost more excited for you and Vicki as I am for Cheryl and I! (Almost...) This is Great! The Wizard of the MOC in a brand new 2007 Montana!

You have been such a wealth of info for ALL of us for so long, I almost feel we MOCers should all pitch in and buy this 2007 for you and Vicki to repay our indebtedness.

OK, I'm over that feeling now... Sorry. Would if I could though, Steve.

[quote]quote:Originally posted by sreigle

... Dsprik, on the older models the low point drains were hanging below the belly, out in the cold. On our 3295RK (2003) I heat taped those low point drains. The other difference is the water lines were uninsulated and just lay in the belly. Where they touch the frame they would freeze. They now are in their own channel, wrapped in insulation, and in the highest (warmest) part of the belly, just below the floor of the coach. Major improvement for people like us who spend a couple of months each year in temperatures down to minus 5.

No, the arctic package does not include heat pads on the tanks. It is only an insulation blanket on the bottom of the belly. That's it.

[b]
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:24 AM   #51
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Steve, Don't you know better than to "just go take a look" at new Montanas? Congrats on the new coach - can't wait to see you at the rally, and I hope you have the 3400 by then!!
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:31 AM   #52
Chaser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2310
Send a message via Yahoo to Chaser
Okay...I'm on this bandwagon....and I was doing a good job of keeping my mouth shut and you couldn't stand it, huh, Steve.....? We know you will enjoy your 3400, but don't you agree that that is a lot of money, just to change your living room around???? (Just kidding, of course)...I sent an email last night to Sunshine - saying "you need to read under Full Timing - Reigle has a couple of comments out there - I think he's trying to tell us something"...She picked right up on that - so several have figured you out. Ha. Anyway, have a good time figuring out where everything goes when you get it....and if you find out any new ways of storage we haven't already shared with you - you owe us first rights to the info (again, just kidding). Congratulations on your Brand New Never Before Seen 2007 3400 (if I could Bold this, I would have). HA HA.... Happy Trails!

Chaser
Mike & Evy Orlob
(2 mo old-2006 3400, 2004 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel)
Reitred, Rv'ers, Race Fans
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:29 AM   #53
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
Steve and Vicki - How exciting -- a new Monty! Congratulations -- the 3400 is a really, really nice unit. Continued happy trails to you .....
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:23 PM   #54
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We sure do add our congratulations to Steve and Vicki. I know I picked up on it when Judy said you were at the factory. At least I had a good idea that might be why. We wish you as much happiness with the new one that you have been having in your present home.

Bill and Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:42 PM   #55
Montana_797
Established Member

M.O.C. #797
Hello,
We found the easy way to cover the skylight was to purchase 2 door window covers. The shower skylight frame is th exact same width and height as the the front door window, simply remove the 4 corner screws and apply the bubble alum. cover with the velcro and anchor 4 corners with the screws. It works great.
Good luck
Bruce+Belinda
Montana_797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 01:11 PM   #56
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Bruce, can you explain the 2 door window covers? I don't know for sure what you mean. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:31 PM   #57
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Dave, maybe one of these new 3400s sitting in the lot here in Goshen is YOURS! Awesome thought!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 04:01 PM   #58
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Maybe, Judy... But Mark Krol said it was scheduled to come off the line July 17th. I think that's what he meant. Tried to get ahold of my dealer today, but he is at a show until Wed. Need to confirm his pickup on the 17th, then Cheryl and I plan on going down (5 hrs) to Town & Country RV in Clyde OH (40 miles SE of Toledo, and about 3 hrs east of Goshen) on the 19th, doing the PDI, having our hitch installed by his service dept, spending the night on the lot in the 3400 w/ hookups, then fixing/adjusting anything prior to us heading back up north on the 20th. Those are our tentative plans, anyway, until I can confirm with Bill Tea.

How do you like those new mirrors on the cap?
Old 07-10-2006, 04:28 PM   #59
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I haven't gotten close enough to look at them, Dave. They're mostly parked so they're backed up to the road. Those 3400s are hard to keep on the dealers lots around here, too. Way too nice to just sit around! We should get a good look if we get in on the tour tomorrow.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 05:24 PM   #60
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I look forward to your impressions after the tour, Judy - if you go. Jim Edmundson was the regional Keystone sales rep who did our tour (might not want to bring up my name if he the one that does your tour...). Great guy - very knowledgable, and personable - even when you accidentally insult him and lose your cool - a little...