Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2008, 02:32 PM   #1
Shooterdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8905
big foot leveling

Good evening ,I was just wondering if any of you have installed the Big Foot system on your Montana. Some say that it can void your warranty,from some manufacturers. Is this true with Montana.I saw a guy this weekend that had it on a Open Road and it was certainly the way to go . Thanks

Shooterdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:40 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
First of all, WELCOME to the MOC Family.

big foot leveling

The frames are built by Lippert and warranted by Lippert and I would be contacting Lippert directly for the answer to your question.
Lippert Components
866-524-7821
www.lci1.com

IMHO, $3250 is a lot of money for such a simple task. 9 out of 10 times leveling the rig side to side is nothing more than a couple 2 inch boards if that. Front to rear is handled with the front jacks. As far as stabilization? Properly done that too is simple.
Personally, I can find a lot more use for 3200+ bucks such as the fuel tank so that I can do the traveling that I planned for back when fuel was a lot cheaper.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:26 AM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Shooterdad, First, Welcome to "The Best Darned Forum on the WWW!" That looks like a really neat system and one I wish I had, however, as Glenn states it leveling is a very simple thing for us, plus we have the JT Strong Arm Stabilizers which do a tremendous job of stabilizing the unit without a lot of cost. Around $400 installed. or $300.00 if you're handy. When we pull into a site and get aligned, the DW gets the torpedoe level out and goes in the rig to check side to side, She then decides if we need a 2X and how many and where to place them. I then pull forward about 12 inches, she places the boards and then I back up on them, Voila! side to side done and I don't even have to get out of the truck. Front to back is done with landing gear after we set the JT's. Not sure how much simpler it can get. $3,000 does buy ALOT of diesel or could be better put to use, Having said all this, if you have limited mobility or physical problems it might be the way to go. Of course, it is your decision and your money. I hope this helps in some small way. Again Welcome to the forum......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:41 AM   #4
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
As Glenn and Phil said, welcome to the forum. I would also like to add that when you install the Big Foot, you have to take in to consideration of the added weight. I visited the site Glenn put up but I didn't take the time to read it thru. I'm not sure what they weigh, but whatever they weigh takes away from your carrying capacity.
Just something else to consider!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:10 AM   #5
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Once upon a time we had a Cambridge 358 and went to White Flint, MI to have to Big Foot system. However due to the small area for the Front landing area the service would have to do some modification to the front area to get the front Big Foot hydraulic system installed. I didn't want to have the Mods done. The Big Foot system is awesome and can set down the 5er and auto level in minutes similar to the MH systems.

The (SOB) we now have isn't auto leveling but we have 6 hydraulic jacks. And the system has the side to side leveling and since its all hydraulic its very fast to set up. No more plastic leveling blocks or wooden boards to carry along. Automatic leveling would be nice but this system works great. Can set the 5th wheel down in less than 10 minutes. Its a standard options on our brand of 5th wheel. We can also raise the 5th wheel off the ground to change a flat tire so no need for the bottle jacks.

As stated above I would call Keystone and Lippert for the ok. Lippert installed our system during the build. Good Luck on your search. I do recomend the Big Foot system and have been to their Factory. Great people to work with. I was in Goshen to have Mor/Ryde install the electric over hydraulic disk brakes and was also at the Keystone service center and I told them we were having the system installed and was told thats a great mod. I also think some Montana's has as a option the hydraulic jack system. I would bet Lippert is doing that system also. I do know the brand of 5th wheel we have is doing upgrades to older models. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:30 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Since Lippert also built our frames, I would think they'd have a good feel for any problems using the Bigfoot with our frames.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote